• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
You live in FL, seems normal @RegisDB9

...touché

every dude at that gym:
00AsGLt.gif

I’ve never seen anything like it, and this girl was very beautiful too. I mean half the gym just kind of started looking at each other....thinking what is this? Is this a trick of some sort...this girl went over the mirror and literally bent over to do rows with the free weights. I thought I was seeing **** for a second like if she was wearing flesh colored leggings. I’ve been fooled before

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made some lifelong friends there.

Fenrir server!

Same, Bismarck here. What a game / special place in time. I'm glad I quit as I don't think I would have ever finished school or become a proper adult. I probably would have kept playing, it's still going, I check in from time to time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...touché
I’ve never seen anything like it, and this girl was very beautiful too. I mean half the gym just kind of started looking at each other....thinking what is this? Is this a trick of some sort...this girl went over the mirror and literally bent over to do rows with the free weights. I thought I was seeing **** for a second like if she was wearing flesh colored leggings. I’ve been fooled before
I've seen this once before. The time I saw it, it was for some instagram story, or at least, that's what she told me when I asked her if this was some type of prank. Apparently, while it's unfortunately not an every day story, it's not as infrequent as I would have thought. God bless the interwebz.

And if the girl in your gym literally bent over, centerfold style, I would bet you a few bucks that it was for some sort of social media or other publicity shot. It's all about them followers.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I've seen this once before. The time I saw it, it was for some instagram story, or at least, that's what she told me when I asked her if this was some type of prank. Apparently, while it's unfortunately not an every day story, it's not as infrequent as I would have thought. God bless the interwebz.

And if the girl in your gym literally bent over, centerfold style, I would bet you a few bucks that it was for some sort of social media or other publicity shot. It's all about them followers.

This is what I think as well. She came in while I was on my last set and for all I know she was alone since I didn’t see anyone taking pictures or anyone behind her, but man...to quote the GOAT

690.gif

If I wind on YouTube looking at that girls ass.....I’m the guy in the electric blue shirt

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not posting this here cause of politics, but i wonder if the Extremely Online concept applies to fashion. i feel like there's something here and not just in the usual 'dressed by the internet' way

extremely online, i think, in politics means not only soundbites, but soundbites in a certain tone. i feel like certain styles also get picked up easier in fashion cause it's hard to discern subtle details like texture. brands like evan kinori, for example, are extremely not online. demna is extremely online

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same, Bismarck here. What a game / special place in time. I'm glad I quit as I don't think I would have ever finished school or become a proper adult. I probably would have kept playing, it's still going, I check in from time to time.

Same—a few friends started playing again on private servers where it’s like, pre wings of the goddess. ToAU was such a good good good expo. I quite during Wings of the Goddess. Just couldn’t do those Ixion and Lambton Worm camps anymore. I was also pissed that I had camped Tiamat for a friend in my LS (whoever camped it got heralds gaiters) and they ended it up not giving the gaiters to my friend even though I did all the work for it. It was bullshit.

Good memories but dear god if I just spent that XI time on literally anything productive... like a sport or art or reading or anything I think I would be much better off in life. But man I don’t think there will ever be that feeling again, ever. Truly was a special tjme

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This is what I think as well. She came in while I was on my last set and for all I know she was alone since I didn’t see anyone taking pictures or anyone behind her, but man...to quote the GOAT

690.gif

If I wind on YouTube looking at that girls ass.....I’m the guy in the electric blue shirt

My buddy does the best impression of this always cracks me up.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i feel like what is online is what used to be in magazines in the 90s and in much the same way. but it's that almost-insulting glossy editorial gee-whiz conversation and its really just there to provoke scrolling one way or the other. but nothing to do with like the state of apparel or architecture or culture or whatever. are we looking for the world in the internet? i hope not.

that gym story made me think of that 'sunset heart hands' taco bell spot

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not posting this here cause of politics, but i wonder if the Extremely Online concept applies to fashion. i feel like there's something here and not just in the usual 'dressed by the internet' way

extremely online, i think, in politics means not only soundbites, but soundbites in a certain tone. i feel like certain styles also get picked up easier in fashion cause it's hard to discern subtle details like texture. brands like evan kinori, for example, are extremely not online. demna is extremely online

Absolutely. We've been discussing this here for quite a few years now, but without reference to the term. Fashion that is silhouette, color, or logo driven is made for instagram, but more subtle designers are not.

I think that it's been something that's been thought about by retailers for a long time. As an example, I had a discussion about this with the owner of Maas&Stacks a few years back. Someone like Robert Geller is not extremely online. The appeal of a lot of his pieces is highly textural; and because it's also monchrome (a coat with black polyester twill panels justxtaposed against black melton wool, it simply doesn't translate well on the internet. Visvim, on the other hand, with distinctive silhouettes, materials that photograph extremely well, and graphical elements that are easily recognizable, is very online.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Absolutely. We've been discussing this here for quite a few years now, but without reference to the term. Fashion that is silhouette, color, or logo driven is made for instagram, but more subtle designers are not.

I think that it's been something that's been thought about by retailers for a long time. As an example, I had a discussion about this with the owner of Maas&Stacks a few years back. Someone like Robert Geller is not extremely online. The appeal of a lot of his pieces is highly textural; and because it's also monchrome (a coat with black polyester twill panels justxtaposed against black melton wool, it simply doesn't translate well on the internet. Visvim, on the other hand, with distinctive silhouettes, materials that photograph extremely well, and graphical elements that are easily recognizable, is very online.

Yea, I think we've discussed this before regarding how clothes come across on the internet.

I also think AOC is Extremely Online because

1) There's something about how she writes online that feels very connected to Internet culture. Some politicians do this by accident, like Chuck Grassley. These are Extremely Online tweets, although they haven't gotten the attention they deserve. He does it by accident.

AOC definitely speaks to the frustrations of many progressives, but so do other political figures. Paul Wellstone was pre-internet (in this sense), but if he were online today, he would not be Extremely Online.

2) AOC is also good at going viral. I wonder if the same true for certain fashion brands. Like, it's not just about how texture comes through, but whether a piece has the ability to travel through social media. Obvious and noticeable details that come through via jpeg seem like just one dimension to this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i feel like what is online is what used to be in magazines in the 90s and in much the same way. but it's that almost-insulting glossy editorial gee-whiz conversation and its really just there to provoke scrolling one way or the other. but nothing to do with like the state of apparel or architecture or culture or whatever. are we looking for the world in the internet? i hope not.

that gym story made me think of that 'sunset heart hands' taco bell spot
Yes, we are. Increasingly, more of our time is spent online. The exposure is unprecedented because of the ubiquity of and constant use of mobile devices and instantaneous broadcasting and reception of information.

This has never happened before, with any other type of media, and differs from any previous media in at least two important ways. The first is that media is no longer truly constrained in space or in time - there is none of this NBC's "Must See Thursday" of the 90s. I can stream a video while sitting on the toilet or while waiting in line, or while doing my work. The second is that the medium is more interactive than it has ever been before, and the entire system is rigged to trigger the giving of and the receiving of and craving for more rewards. it's unclear if the effects on culture are as profound as have been other changes in media, but that media is more intrusive in our lives than it ever has been is nearly incontrovertible.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I think we've discussed this before regarding how clothes come across on the internet.

I also think AOC is Extremely Online because

1) There's something about how she writes online that feels very connected to Internet culture. Some politicians do this by accident, like Chuck Grassley. These are Extremely Online tweets, although they haven't gotten the attention they deserve. He does it by accident.

AOC definitely speaks to the frustrations of many progressives, but so do other political figures. Paul Wellstone was pre-internet (in this sense), but if he were online today, he would not be Extremely Online.

2) AOC is also good at going viral. I wonder if the same true for certain fashion brands. Like, it's not just about how texture comes through, but whether a piece has the ability to travel through social media. Obvious and noticeable details that come through via jpeg seem like just one dimension to this.

I'll have to think about the second. As for being extremely online, I think that the award has to go to Trump, who is both extremely online himself (he seems to have a knack for generating remarkable hashtags), and on top of that, is basically a one man viral meme generating machine. AOC has a lot of catching up left to do if she is going to catch up with the POTUS.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll have to think about the second. As for being extremely online, I think that the award has to go to Trump, who is both extremely online himself (he seems to have a knack for generating remarkable hashtags), and on top of that, is basically a one man viral meme generating machine. AOC has a lot of catching up left to do if she is going to catch up with the POTUS.

Chris Hayes said that in the follow-up Tweet. Would be interesting to read his essay. Agree that Don Jr. is Extremely Online

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Hayes said that in the follow-up Tweet. Would be interesting to read his essay. Agree that Don Jr. is Extremely Online

Yeah, I'd be interested in reading the essay. Him saying that Trump is not Extremely Online requires an explanation.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same—a few friends started playing again on private servers where it’s like, pre wings of the goddess. ToAU was such a good good good expo. I quite during Wings of the Goddess. Just couldn’t do those Ixion and Lambton Worm camps anymore. I was also pissed that I had camped Tiamat for a friend in my LS (whoever camped it got heralds gaiters) and they ended it up not giving the gaiters to my friend even though I did all the work for it. It was bullshit.

Good memories but dear god if I just spent that XI time on literally anything productive... like a sport or art or reading or anything I think I would be much better off in life. But man I don’t think there will ever be that feeling again, ever. Truly was a special tjme

Haha, same here. I could have been a Harvard graduate if I studied anything like I studied XI. Good times though, wouldn't change a thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads