1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Capitalizing the words extremely and online is Extremely Online.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Old owner was nice. RIP

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

Good call on Evan Kinori’s stuff @dieworkwear . His scant web presence gives an idea of the clothes, but seeing and handling them in person is fantastically amazing. Being in his studio is like a kid in a candy store. Good thing the prices keep me from buying all his stuff.

4. mmmargeologist

mmmargeologist Senior Member

I don’t think AOC, Bernie, or Warren are popular because they are progressive. The democrats lost because they became a party that was only appealing to progressives.

AOC, Bernie, and Elizabeth Warren are popular because they are the wing of the party that speaks to the plight of the working class.

5. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

I had the same experience with, of all designers, Ann Demeulemeester a couple seasons ago. Meunier uses (or, more accurately, used to use) lots of subtly incredible fabrics and finishes...there was a lot of their stuff where I'd look at it online and wonder "why is this pair of pants $1,000" then I'd see it in person and realize "oh, that's totally cool and I get why that's $1,000." Similar with Haider.

When I think Extremely Online, one of the first brands that comes to my mind is 11 by BBS, just because it can be directly compared to his mainline. It's still clearly Boris, but it's also consistently stuff that looks different / expensive from 50 feet away (or in a 2.5-by-2.5-inch image) in a way a lot of mainline stuff doesn't. And it's become more the case over time...early-season 11 didn't seem that far from mainline (lower pricepoint, bolder color scheme, more accessible fits, but largely a younger spin on the same schtick), but it's become more focused on big design elements and branding over time. Some cool stuff still trickles through, though.

Tangential question: How much of the stuff put out by Demna, Virgil and the like do you guys think is cynical and how much is sincere? In other words, do they believe the stuff they're putting out is cool, or are they pandering to a target market?

6. the shah

the shah OG Yamamoto

Or rather just the subset obsessed with identity politics

7. King Calder

King Calder Senior Member

I feel like i've had this moment a lot in the past year while sending old clothes off to consignment that largely clustered around designers I got into via the internet/styleforum but never actually wore.

upload_2019-1-16_14-43-42.png

8. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Perils of getting dressed by the internet.

I can't believe this message board is giving oxygen (however tangentially) to AOC. I was hoping this forum would be the last resting spot from hearing about her.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

What is AOC? I thought someone misspelled AKOG

10. mmmargeologist

mmmargeologist Senior Member

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Appellation d'origine contrôlée.

12. 1969

1969 Distinguished Member

Damn this took me waaay back - i flyered for Wellstone in 1990 when I was in college. Pardon me while I wax poetic but I'd give an arm to go back to the Extremely Offline days of hanging out at coffee shops/bars and going to shows 4 nights a week to make a life. No phones no laptops no internet. Crazy to realize that putting yourself out in the world like that isn't even possible anymore.

13. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I was just introduced to the AOC abbreviation tonight. I was, like, "oh, French wine?" I like.

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

These Burberry 'drops' (hate that word) are so lame and out of place, and does anybody even care about them, I've seen people on ebay and grilled trying to move those fugly TB monogram shirts and sweaters at exorbitant prices to no avail?

15. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

I have trouble figuring out why Burberry still exists. Their tartan pattern is a bit of a joke. Their suits are too skinny. They do make some nice trench coats (I have two actually) but so does Private White, VC, Grenfell and Coherence, all of which are nicer.

Do folks still like to parade around with the Burberry pattern showing?