1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

you mean theory :p?
    that would be too rough for theory though? I still like the RLBL stuff (it's technical stuff), guess it's just more of a "city" look

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

^^Burberry had some great stuff in the Prorsum line during the Bailey era, and despite their imo failed flirtation with #streetwear, they still make great coats, macs and trenches.

3. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

I was intrigued by Zegna's Techmerino suits. Might be an interesting option for hot sticky places like DC.

Never liked RLBL tech wear. Only looked good on Real Madrid strikers when off duty.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

To you their tartan pattern is a joke, but Burberry has done an effective job of marketing to many the idea that their tartan pattern is a symbol of wealth and does a good job of social signaling as such. It's the same as a LV bag or Gucci belt.

I think it's interesting that in the last decade I have notice the gradual transition at the Saks in the Cleveland suburbs. More and more of the store's central real estate is being converted into single brand boutiques that for the most part sell only handbags. I'm convinced that handbags and cosmetics make up 90% of the store's profits.

5. smittycl

There is nothing wrong with the pattern itself but it seems to cry out "Look! I can afford Burberry!" Plenty of women on the streets here look great in Burberry-patterned boots, scarves, umbrellas, etc. I have two of their trenches and made sure to get muted linings. Saw a few guys out for lunch in the summer with Burberry dress shirts with the cuff turned up one turn showing the bold tartan.

Kind of silly. Same reason I don't wear Polo shirts with the horse logo or keep lapel pins in my suits that come with them.

I agree that department stores are being supported by women. The men.s shop at Neiman Marcus is usually empty but the cosmetics and ladies' handbag section are always seemingly packed.

6. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior Member

Yeah, I don’t like anything, with the exception of cheap sneakers like converse, that tells people what brand I’m wearing.
    Wonder if Burberry has that pattern copyrighted? If not I suppose H&M would be selling it.

7. double00

double00 Distinguished Member

tartan is called 'novacheck' afaik? every reason to assume copyright.

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Everytime I hear Burberry I think

.......Always go full label

8F518446-F377-429B-B211-A0FB66CEFF93.jpeg

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

10. Callusing

Callusing Distinguished Member

Regis v Mayer fit battle for internet brand superiority.

I know some of you know the right folks to make this happen. Get on it.

11. Baron

Baron Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

That's a pretty cool story. I like his comments. He's a clothes nerd, like some people I know...

I want that green camp shirt

12. smittycl

MC Hammer pants can't be far behind. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

I'm wearing the waterproof W+H x Timberland I got on deep discount. Maybe I misremember how uncomfortable Timbs are but holy shit the way these things rub on your inner ankle, even with thicker socks.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Wasn't that clown all into atelier type shit years ago?

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I actually know him, at least through the internet. We've talked a few times about clothes. I can message him.

If someone else knows John Mayer, lmk.