• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately I've really been gravitating towards all black clothes together with Air Jordan sneakers. Throw some silver jewelery or something in the mix. You with me @LA Guy?
This is me every day.

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Just got another size of Blackstock & Weber loafers in, and can now offer some sizing advice. My brannock/tts is 10.5D, flat foot/low arches, probably closer to 10.25.

- the 10.5 B&W (the TF collab) which is sized relatively tts for my brannock, fits well with a thick sock, and is generally a fine fine fit, but def too big to wear comfortably with a thin sock or barefoot

- the 10 B&W (black grain) which is sized a half size down from my brannock, fit well in the length, but the outer part of my middle toes is catching on the sides when barefoot. I think this is probably the right size, and with a shoe tree, should fit well overall.

My recommendation is:

- go down a half size from brannock if you're at or slightly over a traditional size (I'm a 10.25ish, usually buy a size 10.5, and I sized down to 10 for a solid fit)

- go tts from brannock if you're on the larger side of a traditional size (if you normally buy 10.5 but are more of a 10.75, go tts with a 10.5).

Overall the shoes have a lot of volume and are forgiving in width. Also, based on the sizing info formatting and the sole, I'm 99% sure they're made by Sanders.

View attachment 1644710

Digging out this post from 2021 (sorry!). Would love to hear from others who've purchased Blackstock and Weber loafers since then. Blackstock says to size down one from sneaker size, others say size down one from Brannock. Anyone?

jaaz16

Reaction score
I tried one down from Brannock and it was too short. I ended up taking my typical loafer size, which is 1/2 down from Brannock and 1.5 down from typical sneaker size. I can go barefoot (roomy) or a thicker sock (snug but not uncomfortable). Which is more or less in line with what @troika wrote back then.

Samir

Reaction score
Brannock 8D, Nike 8.5 and I went with size 7 - quite snug with thick socks but fine otherwise. 7.5 was huge. Online reviews were all over the place with sizing recs.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend a proxy for Kapital (web)store in Japan? thanks!

I think any store with a Kapital account can request specific items. Standard and Strange, Cotton Sheep SF and Blue & Green off the top of my head.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have good shoe recs for day walking around the city i.e., SF? Every time I'm back home I feel like my feet are torn up. Tried a pair of Tevas trekking sandals today and ended up with a blister, foot must have been sliding around too much with the socks. Salomon XT-6 have been fine. I feel like the Blundstone 500 series are a tier above the XT-6 in terms of comfort. I am considering Hoka One One next but just ordered another pair of Blundstone. Are there other shoes to consider? The pair of Brooks now worn to shreds (almost) for yardwork etc. have been a joy to wear for the most part. Maybe I should stick to that brand per se.

In terms of where I am usually, on the weekends, walking around the Presidio (lover's lane trail today), the land's end trail, throughout Golden Gate park, and across various city blocks for food etc. I've taken a liking to the Presidio area particular the lawn area to snooze after a walk.

I'm also dealing with fallen arches fwiw

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have good shoe recs for day walking around the city i.e., SF? Every time I'm back home I feel like my feet are torn up. Tried a pair of Tevas trekking sandals today and ended up with a blister, foot must have been sliding around too much with the socks. Salomon XT-6 have been fine. I feel like the Blundstone 500 series are a tier above the XT-6 in terms of comfort. I am considering Hoka One One next but just ordered another pair of Blundstone. Are there other shoes to consider? The pair of Brooks now worn to shreds (almost) for yardwork etc. have been a joy to wear for the most part. Maybe I should stick to that brand per se.

In terms of where I am usually, on the weekends, walking around the Presidio (lover's lane trail today), the land's end trail, throughout Golden Gate park, and across various city blocks for food etc. I've taken a liking to the Presidio area particular the lawn area to snooze after a walk.

If you want the most comfort and don't care so much about the look go with Hoka Clifton. They have all white or all cream version so they can look as normally as it gets. For max comfort you can check New Balance More v4 or 1080. More line also have trail version. Also Nike Pegasus Trail is very comfortable shoe. I am saying that as a person who is doing over 130km of running weekly on the peak of my training block.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In terms of where I am usually, on the weekends, walking around the Presidio (lover's lane trail today), the land's end trail, throughout Golden Gate park, and across various city blocks for food etc.

New Balance 990V1 is what I wear. Lot's of cool models. I know that people like the V2 abd V3, but I like the more minimalist look of the V1. You might consider a supportive insole as well. Fwiw, I have fallen arches as well.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Baring any specific style requirements I guess recommendations will come down to ones most comfortable sneakers. What I use for longer walks in a city is mostly the On Cloud (the one with the no-tie laces). For something a little more off road I use the On Cloudventure. Both of these are more comfortable than my Salomon XT-Wings 2 and XA Pro 3D. For an upcoming trip to a Greek island I'll be bringing a pair of Nike Flyknit Racer (just for the longer walks and when I'm not wearing espadrilles, which will be most of the time; the espadrilles are nice, but not that great for longer walks).

Pics of all mentioned models, if anyone cares:
m19_on-running_w_cloud_sko_-_navy-white_11_3nd.jpg

ON-Running-Cloudventure-Sko-Shadow-R-88_ZOOM.jpg

211837M237004_3.jpg

xa-pro-3d-v8-wide-black_black_m-l41689200_5.jpg

nike-flyknit-trainer-white-gum-ah8396-102-5.jpg

8434483362966.jpg

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you thought about going into your local running store and getting fitted? I did this when my feet first started hurting (flat feet) and it made a world of difference; I ended up in a pair of Saucony that I would have never picked out myself that were quite supportive.

I did the same thing recently with my local now that I have moved and been having different foot pain. Ended in a pair of ASICS that I again would not have chosen.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baring any specific style requirements I guess recommendations will come down to ones most comfortable sneakers. What I use for longer walks in a city is mostly the On Cloud (the one with the no-tie laces). For something a little more off road I use the On Cloudventure. Both of these are more comfortable than my Salomon XT-Wings 2 and XA Pro 3D. For an upcoming trip to a Greek island I'll be bringing a pair of Nike Flyknit Racer (just for the longer walks and when I'm not wearing espadrilles, which will be most of the time; the espadrilles are nice, but not that great for longer walks).

Pics of all mentioned models, if anyone cares:
m19_on-running_w_cloud_sko_-_navy-white_11_3nd.jpg

ON-Running-Cloudventure-Sko-Shadow-R-88_ZOOM.jpg

211837M237004_3.jpg

xa-pro-3d-v8-wide-black_black_m-l41689200_5.jpg

nike-flyknit-trainer-white-gum-ah8396-102-5.jpg

8434483362966.jpg
that on the photo is Flyknit Trainer ;)

and just my humble personal opinion, On sneakers are one of the ugliest running shoes ever made and also I can not believe how trendy they are because they so different from everything else on the market and easy to recognise (because of that stupid midsole with holes) so people are buying into them as some kind of status symbol cause they are not the cheapest. But their technology and comfort is not on pair with leading brands in the Running industry.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basically any serious running shoe that are advertised as having good stability. If you like low or no drop shoes, Hokas are a good choice. I prefer a 10+mm drop, so I recently bought some Brooks Beasts for walking around cities and they are amazing. I’ve given up on the idea of spending days walking around a city in any kind of fashion shoe. I recently spent several days walking around Chicago and everyone wearing fashionable clothes was wearing serious running shoes.

blacklight

Reaction score

Get custom insoles made.

As someone who has been in PT on-and-off for the better part of the last 2 or so tears for various leg issues I can tell you of my PT's opinion that the Flyknit Trainer is among the worst shoes for people with flat feet.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member