• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s weird. Tha
right but at least the street view can throw up interesting 'glitches' etc:

http://9-eyes.com/

just scanning the paintings seems so... inert and pointless. at the early meeting i went to they were all like 'now a street kid in mumbai can get on the net and visit the louvre' (huge applause)- as if there weren't countless images available anyway? and as if the kids wouldnt play games or watch Appreciation or look at $5000 jackets

But... but... CHANGING the WORLD! The trumpet blast of a new order, in which I can decided against seeing what's in a museum right from where ever I am. That's CONNECTED.

I've always wondered (probably because I'm not that smart) how all this stuff gets into google etc. Or, for example, was just seeing this gas app on someones phone that lists all the prices from stations nearby. How does all that get in there and get updated? Again, this probably sounds pretty dopey, but asking for real. Don't make me take my credulity to Yahoo! Answers, please.

Jvog

Reaction score
That’s weird. Tha

But... but... CHANGING the WORLD! The trumpet blast of a new order, in which I can decided against seeing what's in a museum right from where ever I am. That's CONNECTED.

I've always wondered (probably because I'm not that smart) how all this stuff gets into google etc. Or, for example, was just seeing this gas app on someones phone that lists all the prices from stations nearby. How does all that get in there and get updated? Again, this probably sounds pretty dopey, but asking for real. Don't make me take my credulity to Yahoo! Answers, please.

Something like the gas app most likely depends on crowd-sourcing (with some integrity checks put in place to make sure that no one is inputting ridiculous prices). You can encourage users to participate and contribute through rewards/badges (similar to Waze where you level up and earn points). In addition to that, there is probably an API that a lot of the data is pulled from as well.

Metadata about local businesses (opening times, pricing, etc) is also sourced by google through local visits, or simply by the owners themselves. In addition to that, when Google indexes sites, it parses the information and through machine learning makes the connection that this information is relevant to website/local business A, B, or C.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream jeans or trousers to wear with brown suede boots/driving loafers?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20180116_115430.jpg

:fu:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So... any of you going to CVPR this year?

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JET or anyone else from LA. Anyone know a good barber show in the Ssanta Monica area? Didn't get a chance to go to mine before I fly tomorrow and I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks. Need someone to do the classic fade look for around 40~$

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gettoasty what do you like about this, if you don't mind me asking? (i was vaguely involved at an early stage but the idea of essentially scanning in hi res images from museums just seemed a bit boring for the amount of money they spent...)

I think if you're vaguely interested in art, it's so ******* cool. It's one of the coolest things around. When I first found it, I was blown away. The editorials are nice, the virtual museums are really cool to play around with, the tagging system makes it easy to find similar things... it's just an incredible resource to learn. Like, yeah, you could say, just go to museums, but this brings access to so many people.

And maybe people would rather watch Appreciation. And that's probably true. Kids probably would rather watch youtube or play games, and maybe that's true. But you ever have one of those weird lost-thru-Wikipedia type trips where you just learn all this stupid stuff but it's still pretty entertaining? Google Arts & Culture is like that. I think to certain people, it really speaks.

One of the important aspects of museums is the size of a lot of paintings and the ability to see details. Like yeah, you can see pictures of **** all over the internet of paintings, but Google's photos are on a whole new level. Again, it never really replaces the museum experience, but you're able to meticulously scan a painting and see brush strokes, subtle changes in color, and in some ways, experience the size of painting.

I legitimately think it's the best thing Google has done in a really long time. It gives you a way to experience art that's pretty novel (high res zoom with tons of artist and movement history/information presented in a virtual format? cool). I don't know, I think in terms of providing an accessible point for you to experience art in a new way, it's worth the money. I mean, I don't know what else Google has up its sleeve to spend money on, but like, I think Google Arts and Culture is cooler than Google Home.

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So these Niche 're-suggestion' shirts were posted by @MaiLam and now really really really want one.
7716_shop1_658824.jpg

7715_shop1_392823.jpg

7161_shop1_109904.jpg
The only stockist I know of outside of Asia is NMWA and I've never seen these on there, so on the off-chance somebody here has tried them could you tell me how they fit? I can only see Mediums and Larges and I'm usually XL. In Japanese brands that means I'm usually XXL, but the measurements for a medium on the Korean store say the 'width' is like 25" (which I assume is chest) and shoulder is 23"
But I don't know if there is something lost in translation for those measurements because that's a huge medium.
Please SF, help me be an Argentinian couch.

EDIT: wrong thread don't care

Are there sleeve measurements? That's what I would be worried about

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bows1 Somewhere in the manage your watch threads page you can disable email notifications
@KaleidoscopicK I saw kusama's exhibit in Seattle in the summer, was pretty cool but expect a lot of lineups which kind of ruined the experience for me, felt like a theme park instead of an art exhibit especially with all the people attending for the hype taking a ton of selfies

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm now that I've posted once in this thread I'm getting an email about every post. How can I disable this?

you can turn off email alerts for new posts, or turn off alerts for posts in threads you've subscribed to altogether, or unsubscribe from the thread. all should be under settings (somewhere?)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@bows1 Somewhere in the manage your watch threads page you can disable email notifications
@KaleidoscopicK I saw kusama's exhibit in Seattle in the summer, was pretty cool but expect a lot of lineups which kind of ruined the experience for me, felt like a theme park instead of an art exhibit especially with all the people attending for the hype taking a ton of selfies

Hype is a way of life now (maybe because global culture is not quite finished replacing parochialism?) Imo it wont last. You may even look back on the atmosphere - hype and all - as a credit to the experience

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads