• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn @g transistor I get lost in Wikipedia sooo much reading random stuff! I’m glad I’m not the only one..

I’m definitely gonna have a look at Google Arts! Had no idea it existed

click here

Reaction score
So ShopAcrimony is shutting down. I still have over $500 credit from the store and nothing I wanted to buy. FML

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So borrowing from something I saw @mementomoriarty do once, I compiled a list of the most popular fits of 2017. Now I should mention a disclaimer that while I have a list of the top 50 posts in waywt from 2017, I don't have all the pictures associated with them. This is mainly because some dudes (*cough* @ChetB and @Parker) like using photobucket, and some of the paths to the pictures no longer exist. Nevertheless, I'd estimate I have somewhere close to the top 45 posts. I've spoilered them below (do note if you're on mobile that there's 85 pictures, so click only if you have unlimited data). There's a also a link to the full album here. There's no particular for manner how these are arranged. Also because I'm a huge nerd, I plotted the distribution of thumbs. The users that appeared most often in the top 50 were c4 and chetb. Chet had the photo with the most thumbs (95), and the minimum cutoff for the top 50 was 63.

It's really cool to see the diversity of fits from last year. I hope 2018 is even better. Also sorry for assaulting your server SF.

upload_2018-1-17_9-50-48.png

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
nerdimoron

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Matthew effect/rich get richer distribution.

@baltimoron Did you check relationship between thumbs and the users number of posts in WYWT?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not. Are you thinking some sort of ratio of average thumbs per post?
Yes, something like that. Are good fits by high frequency fit posters (i.e., average number of thumbs per fit might be lower). And of course, is the number of thumbs on a fit a predictor of the latency to the next fit post (i.e., are people encouraged by thumbs, and increase their fit frequency). So many questions. I wonder if there are any papers on fashion forum behavior..

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think if you're vaguely interested in art, it's so ******* cool. It's one of the coolest things around. When I first found it, I was blown away. The editorials are nice, the virtual museums are really cool to play around with, the tagging system makes it easy to find similar things... it's just an incredible resource to learn. Like, yeah, you could say, just go to museums, but this brings access to so many people.

And maybe people would rather watch Appreciation. And that's probably true. Kids probably would rather watch youtube or play games, and maybe that's true. But you ever have one of those weird lost-thru-Wikipedia type trips where you just learn all this stupid stuff but it's still pretty entertaining? Google Arts & Culture is like that. I think to certain people, it really speaks.

One of the important aspects of museums is the size of a lot of paintings and the ability to see details. Like yeah, you can see pictures of **** all over the internet of paintings, but Google's photos are on a whole new level. Again, it never really replaces the museum experience, but you're able to meticulously scan a painting and see brush strokes, subtle changes in color, and in some ways, experience the size of painting.

I legitimately think it's the best thing Google has done in a really long time. It gives you a way to experience art that's pretty novel (high res zoom with tons of artist and movement history/information presented in a virtual format? cool). I don't know, I think in terms of providing an accessible point for you to experience art in a new way, it's worth the money. I mean, I don't know what else Google has up its sleeve to spend money on, but like, I think Google Arts and Culture is cooler than Google Home.

1) You cannot "experience" art (i.e. get an aesthetic experience and exert your judgment) without seeing it in person
2) You can gain "information" selected and pushed (not sure, just downloaded the app) about art but that is not the same thing.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a CdG pouch (SA5100) that I really like but I kinda wish it had 1" extra length to fit my planner better. Any other brands I should be looking into, for <$200?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads