• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

conqueror

Reaction score
re: weddings, i just wore an EG 'new' bedford + uniqlo cords + trickers to one and the only comment anyone made was "where is your tie?"

#dadcore

Reaction score
Me to the groom in a satin teal odd vest with a matching long tie and my cousin who’s in his nicest underarmor polo and cargo shorts— “See, Yatsuo made the waistband half elastic and there’s no breast pocket so you can see how fun and causal this is!”

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot relate to these dictates of wedding garb - at an Austin wedding you're lucky if the attendees have tucked their Western shirt into their Dickies, and I think they are all better for it.

Stop the Wedding Industrial Complex.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a Junya patchwork suit the last wedding I went to.

I did wear a plain navy suit the one before but my hair was pretty long at that point. Longhair in standard formal suit looks kinda odd too tbh.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Anyways, I'd wear a camoshita suit to a wedding. @conceptual 4est can I wear a camoshita suit to a wedding? @gdl203 ? What do the masters say?
To a wedding? For sure.
To your wedding? Hell yeah.
Gotta co-sign gdl on this one.

I love casual suits, but I do recognize it might be made easier by my occupation, location, and circle of friends. That said, I wore an elastic waist Camoshita one on Thanksgiving out here in the suburbs and no one batted an eye. I say just roll with it and skip the tie (unless you're at a wedding).

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing about wedding guest attire in general is that a) most people don't really know anything about men's fashion and b) people have radically different ideas of how formal a wedding should be. A lot of people in the US view a wedding as a big party with their friends, but there are still plenty of people who view it as a solemn occasion, too. And I think that, depending on your close friend circle, you could easily think "of course all of my guests view it the same way I do" but that doesn't really hold up. Extended family members, plus ones, and just friends with different life circumstances means that if you leave people to figure out what they're going to wear on their own, you're going to get a real mixed bag of dress. Which means that the question of "Is this ok to wear to a wedding?" is always going to be "Well, it depends." It's really surprising how many couples give little to no guidance on how people should dress, or put down shit like "beach formal" that doesn't really mean anything. Since it seems like most couples create a web site for their wedding these days, I think it'd make sense to include pictures of what you're thinking if it isn't something standard.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad day...the Marc Jacobs store in my town is closing up shop. MJ is such an iconic American brand I can’t believe they are losing an outpost here in the Midwest. First Barneys now MJ what’s next?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@conceptual 4est I guess it's a matter of which need I should prioritize first. I currently don't have a proper tuxedo, which I definitely need a few times per year.

"Formal" suit wise, I have a very nice Formosa in navy and a couple older Epaulet suits in navy and cadet gray. SC wise I just have the DWW summer tweed. Maybe the answer is a proper blue/gunclub whatever SC.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40