• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

conqueror

Reaction score
re: weddings, i just wore an EG 'new' bedford + uniqlo cords + trickers to one and the only comment anyone made was "where is your tie?"

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me to the groom in a satin teal odd vest with a matching long tie and my cousin who’s in his nicest underarmor polo and cargo shorts— “See, Yatsuo made the waistband half elastic and there’s no breast pocket so you can see how fun and causal this is!”

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B82EE634-0648-47D6-8A4C-2834DA7CC314.jpeg

“You come to me, on the day of my daughters wedding, in a whipcord suit, a band collar shirt, and babouches? What have I ever done to deserve such disrespect??”

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot relate to these dictates of wedding garb - at an Austin wedding you're lucky if the attendees have tucked their Western shirt into their Dickies, and I think they are all better for it.

Stop the Wedding Industrial Complex.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a Junya patchwork suit the last wedding I went to.

I did wear a plain navy suit the one before but my hair was pretty long at that point. Longhair in standard formal suit looks kinda odd too tbh.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Anyways, I'd wear a camoshita suit to a wedding. @conceptual 4est can I wear a camoshita suit to a wedding? @gdl203 ? What do the masters say?
To a wedding? For sure.
To your wedding? Hell yeah.

Gotta co-sign gdl on this one.

I love casual suits, but I do recognize it might be made easier by my occupation, location, and circle of friends. That said, I wore an elastic waist Camoshita one on Thanksgiving out here in the suburbs and no one batted an eye. I say just roll with it and skip the tie (unless you're at a wedding).

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing about wedding guest attire in general is that a) most people don't really know anything about men's fashion and b) people have radically different ideas of how formal a wedding should be. A lot of people in the US view a wedding as a big party with their friends, but there are still plenty of people who view it as a solemn occasion, too. And I think that, depending on your close friend circle, you could easily think "of course all of my guests view it the same way I do" but that doesn't really hold up. Extended family members, plus ones, and just friends with different life circumstances means that if you leave people to figure out what they're going to wear on their own, you're going to get a real mixed bag of dress. Which means that the question of "Is this ok to wear to a wedding?" is always going to be "Well, it depends." It's really surprising how many couples give little to no guidance on how people should dress, or put down **** like "beach formal" that doesn't really mean anything. Since it seems like most couples create a web site for their wedding these days, I think it'd make sense to include pictures of what you're thinking if it isn't something standard.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad day...the Marc Jacobs store in my town is closing up shop. MJ is such an iconic American brand I can’t believe they are losing an outpost here in the Midwest. First Barneys now MJ what’s next?

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
View attachment 1291975
“You come to me, on the day of my daughters wedding, in a whipcord suit, a band collar shirt, and babouches? What have I ever done to deserve such disrespect??”

As a newish cat owner....my first thought here is I hope Vito had a lint roller

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@conceptual 4est I guess it's a matter of which need I should prioritize first. I currently don't have a proper tuxedo, which I definitely need a few times per year.

"Formal" suit wise, I have a very nice Formosa in navy and a couple older Epaulet suits in navy and cadet gray. SC wise I just have the DWW summer tweed. Maybe the answer is a proper blue/gunclub whatever SC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads