• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aldenfan

Reaction score
I just received a button-down collared shirt in the pink/blue madras fabric (regular button-down collar, one button standard rounded cuffs, tall MOP buttons, french front, no pockets) and thought folks might like another picture of that fabric actually made into a shirt.

It arrived just in time for me to wear it on a wine country outing with this blue linen suit. I love it.

That combination is awesome, and that suit is awesome. Where is the suit from?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my first proper cloth shirt today. The Soft Roma Cutaway collar is absolutely amazing, but it is a very high collar. If I wasn't 6 feet or taller, I would probably steer away from this one. I wore it last night without a tie with some jeans and it was very comfortable.

The overall fit of the shirt is great, but there is some tightness around the back when I attempt to move my arms around. I was wondering what parameter I would have to adjust in order to remedy this.

I will post fit pics after the first wash.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@ccallis Does the Roma spread have the same collar curvature as the soft presidential spread? I really like the curvature/look of the presidential, but I like the size/length of the Roma

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are all your shirts no longer fitting?... Sorry if I missed that thread of conversation.

Most of my shirts, prior to having shirts made by Proper Cloth, fit me like tents. I think that's just how OTR shirts are made--to cover the widest possible range of body types. Then, having a shirt made for you, to your measurements, is quite a revelation. And you quickly become rather dissatisfied with all those older, baggy shirts. So, since I started buying shirts from PC, I've hardly worn any of my older shirts (except for a Mercer & Sons OCBD now and then--talk about baggy!). And I've sent most of my old shirts to Goodwill.

novaeagle

Reaction score
Most of my shirts, prior to having shirts made by Proper Cloth, fit me like tents. I think that's just how OTR shirts are made--to cover the widest possible range of body types. Then, having a shirt made for you, to your measurements, is quite a revelation. And you quickly become rather dissatisfied with all those older, baggy shirts. So, since I started buying shirts from PC, I've hardly worn any of my older shirts (except for a Mercer & Sons OCBD now and then--talk about baggy!). And I've sent most of my old shirts to Goodwill.

I think everyone who's gone MTM with at least decent starting measurements knows that feel. I don't get MTM so my shirts fit super tight or anything - I just have narrow shoulders and a broad chest. Most OTR shirts look bad on me - yoke too big, sleeve too long and too wide, midsection laughably big causing that "muffin top" look... Once you go MTM it's hard to go back.

thecool85

Reaction score

Is tailoring not an option for your older shirts?

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is tailoring not an option for your older shirts?

Not really. I tried that with a couple of shirts, but the result just doesn't look right. It's the armholes, I think, that are the main impediment to making a shirt that fits like a tent look much better. You learn, you move on.

strivefor

Reaction score
Please someone post feedback on the Stiff President Spread Collar option (or other) when you get one.

@ccallis
- Like the classic looking new belts but prices seem a little steep to me. Are the buckles Solid Brass? (should be listed)
- Stiff unfused collars are a very nice option. Cuffs and plaquette would be the logical next step to tie it all together. I hope you're working on it.
- Button height option is great. It was too low by default.
- I don't like the UI changes to how reviews are shown on the fabric page. The old way with the rating beside the review and darker text was far more convenient to read.
- More Grandi & Rubinelli, this stuff is amazing! I'd love to have some Monti options as well.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please someone post feedback on the Stiff President Spread Collar option (or other) when you get one..

I recently got two Stiff President Spread Collars … white and blue chambray. I have the regular president spread in a cotton linen and it was real floppy … I like new one a lot. Here's a couple pics of the Albini Chambray …

AriG

Reaction score
It looks smooth enough to dress it up? I sometimes get weird bumps in the fused collars of my dress shirts and that's not good (last one came with one and it's not going out with steam/water/iron). Also, the broadcloth collars sort of show the stay pocket once you press the collar crisp, again not so nice. The thing I don't like is that I feel neither the soft nor (obv) the fused placket/cuffs really go with it ... I see you have a french front, which kind of works around this and then going with the soft cuff is probably fine on a casual shirt, but for formal occasions I would like a stiffer cuff.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks smooth enough to dress it up? I sometimes get weird bumps in the fused collars of my dress shirts and that's not good (last one came with one and it's not going out with steam/water/iron). Also, the broadcloth collars sort of show the stay pocket once you press the collar crisp, again not so nice. The thing I don't like is that I feel neither the soft nor (obv) the fused placket/cuffs really go with it ... I see you have a french front, which kind of works around this and then going with the soft cuff is probably fine on a casual shirt, but for formal occasions I would like a stiffer cuff.

Bad adhesive, probably. But surely you've not had this problem with PC shirts, have you?

Cheers,

Ac

AriG

Reaction score
I'm speaking of PC shirts exclusively here, of course. It's not terrible by any means, just sometimes noticeable (to me, probably no one else). Kinda defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics