Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

The stiff roma cutaway collar might be a better bet, although I havent' seen much of it in person. Unfused with a stiff interlining, designed to look good tie-less. http://propercloth.com/collar-styles/stiff-roma-cutaway

2. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

So the "stiff" Roma is actually softer than the standard Roma? Weird.

3. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

Seems that way. Stiff unfused.

Personally, I don't wear ties often enough to justify the purchase of a bunch of Roma collars. As others have commented, they just look out of proportion without a tie or sportcoat (which I'm also often not wearing). The president spread, soft president spread, soft roma cutaway, and now stiff roma cutaway all seem to be vying for contention.

4. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

It seems that the "stiff" versions are a great compromise between the completely soft and the hard ones that feel like you're being hung from the gallows.

If you're not wearing a jacket or tie, why not consider a bunch of button downs?

5. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior member

I would like to transition to a jacket sans tie in the future. I only have one jacket right now, and just don't want to wear the same jacket every day to work. Plus, only a few people at my office wear jackets. In a nutshell, I would like to start wearing more jackets but I have to sort of "slide" my way into it.

6. kwv07

kwv07 Senior member

@ccallis Just a suggestion, but I'd love to see the Roma Spread done in the stiff, unfused manner like you have done with the Roma Cutaway and President Spread. Any chance that could happen in the future?

7. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I went to the store to get fitted today and ordered the Carmine light blue stripe with the Roma Cutaway collar as recommended by the SA. But after reading some past posts, it seems as though people prefer the other Roma models. Can someone shed some light on why?

8. bluescholar

bluescholar Active Member

@darkside
    I like all of the Roma collars but for different reasons. I have tried the Roma Spread, Roma Cutaway, and Soft Roma Cutaway. Still haven't gotten the Stiff Roma Cutaway but would like to at some point.

Though all of them are big bold collars the Roma Spread seems the safest. It shows less of the tie and the collar band. It's less extreme.

The Roma Cutaway has the collar tips further apart so it's wide and it shows a lot of the tie if you wear one or collar band if you don't. Though I like all of these collars the Soft Roma Cutaway version is my favorite of all PC collars because its unapologetic boldness, the way it looks open collar without a tie and also how it looks with a tie. I also love that it's corners tuck under a blazer better than ANY collar I've ever had. It can be dressed up and also can look very relaxed. The different versions of Roma Cutaway are not for everyone though. Since you went with it I'm hoping you revel in its boldness and own it. To me at least, it's the collar with the most panache. My wife seems to think so as well. I'm sure others might differ and that's fine.

All great collars though if you change your mind and the Roma Spread is a great collar in its own way too.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015

9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Luckily I was able to adjust my collar preference in time. I changed it to the Soft Roma Cutaway as per previous posts and the advice above. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, visiting the Proper Cloth showroom was a pretty great experience. You make an appointment online and go to a nearly hidden loft in Soho. There they measure you, and then have you put on a trial shirt that is roughly your size and then adjust from there. I think if you're able to get fitted this way in person, it greatly increases your chance of nailing down your fit without multiple adjustments. I can't remember the name of the gentleman who helped me out, but he was very friendly and had knowledge about the fabrics and the product. I'm excited to finally move away from OTR shirting.

10. kwv07

kwv07 Senior member

@ccallis also, what placket and cuffs would you recommend with the stiff, unfused collars?

Thanks!

11. ccallis

ccallis Senior member

@Kwv07 soft cuff, soft placket!

12. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I received my first two shirts tonight with the new buttoning arrangement and with the new, metal, collar stays.

I like the extra button, very much.

But I would like to go on record as really, really, really disliking the metal collar stays. They're horrible.

13. 4frnt

4frnt Well-Known Member

I was at the sample sale today in NYC and found a shirt that I can't find on the website -- looks like a light blue OCBD but the material is more like flannel (very soft). Any guidance?

Thanks

14. dRm0j0

dRm0j0 Well-Known Member

Didn't know they had a sample sale. If that's the case, definitely will check them out today after work. How's the stock looking?

15. 4frnt

4frnt Well-Known Member

Its on W. 36th between 7th and 8th street i believe. Lots of shirts (all custom returns) so it took about 15 shirts to try on and find a good one. You can probably get a lot of shirts there if you are just looking for plain white and blue shirts but I was looking for some specifics, including popovers which there weren't many of.

All shirts were $25. It was pretty empty too and lots of space.