1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kwv07

kwv07 Senior Member

@ccallis and, do you think there will be a stiff, unfused Roma Spread in the future? I think that would be a great addition.

Thanks!

2. ccallis

ccallis Senior Member

They're there for people who really care about metal stays. I take mine out as soon as I get a shirt.

I wouldn't expect it in 2015. Appreciate the feedback, though. In the process of sourcing/sampling new interlining configurations for our standard fused and unfused soft at the moment.

3. kwv07

kwv07 Senior Member

@ccallis Ahhhh, alright. Thanks, Chris. When that is added, I'll be able to order shirts exclusively from Proper Cloth. I like my collars unfused, but the Roma Cutaway is a bit extreme for me as a go-to (although I like it on special occasion).

4. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

I gotta try the stiff collar. I found the Roma Spread just a tad too big for my taste, but the President spread seems just right and I've accumulated a bunch of them now. I think the next time you guys get a nice Bengal Stripe (not wrinkle-free), especially in a nice shade of red, I'll try a stiff collar.

5. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior Member

How can we get notified of sample sales?

6. JTK

JTK Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with the new, lower button option? I'm looking for a fit that allows me to keep the top couple of buttons (below the collar) open, without having the collar collapse on me, especially if I want to wear sport jacket over it. My current PC shirts have the regular spaced buttons, and with the top 2 unbuttoned (which looks fine without a jacket), the collar always collapses with a jacket. Not sure if the 1/2" lower option will help matters, but thinking I could get away with just opening the top button if it's placed lower.... Thoughts?

7. AriG

AriG Senior Member

Try the stiff collars for lesser chance of collapse as advertised by PC (have yet to tried it myself). But yeah, otherwise, I tried the half inch up option for casual shirts and it's great because with regular spacing, the top two buttons open up the shirt too much, throwing the balance. Now I'm trying 1 inch up for dress shirts, because I want those to close even higher (and it's still quite open). The lower option to me is just weird, honestly.

8. JTK

JTK Senior Member

Thanks for the info! I guess I overlooked the fact that the higher placement of the 1st button (as opposed to lower), also raises the placement of the others, which would likely give me the result I was looking for with the 2nd button.

9. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior Member

@ccallis I notice the oxford cloth options have dropped off significantly. I was planning on grabbing several as soon as the temperature dropped. Do you guys have any plans to drop a whole bunch more patterns and colors in the near future? It seems surprising that PC would be so shorthanded on something that's considered a closet staple. I mean, unless you want thomas mason you can't even buy a blue and white stripe!

If you haven't selected a fabric yet, may I recommend a mid-heavy instead of a heavy like the last seasons? That thing was so heavy I didn't even want to wear a sweater in the lower 40 degree temps, haha.

10. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

Interesting. I have found the heavy Oxford cloth to be close to perfect and in no way too heavy. It makes up into really comfortable shirts.

11. novaeagle

novaeagle Senior Member

To be fair, I also run warm, and live in the deep south. Most of the winter an OCBD is perfectly warm enough for me, with only a couple months necessitating sweaters. I do love a good comfy shetland, though.

12. ccallis

ccallis Senior Member

We should have 2 widths of blue stripes in the heavy oxford back in stock by the middle of July. As far as new oxford styles/qualities, perhaps a new stripe color or two for fall but otherwise the same range in the $85 quality. We'll be re-upping on our Thomas Mason Oxford Chambrays for fall and will have 7-8 brand new, custom developed, options there come End August/Early September.

Very excited about that one, but it's not a classic oxford quality--a bit more body than the TM Oxford, with the chambray effect. I really like our heavy oxford because it has so much body, so I don't expect that to be changed or altered. Perhaps down the line we'll re-evaluate the TM Oxford and consider doing something with a bit more body, but still not as beefy as the $85 version.

Chris

13. thirdman

thirdman Senior Member

I've heard a number of people recommend G+R oxfords, since you already offer some of their other fabrics you might want to have a look at them. In any case I'd also like to see a few more options for oxford fabric, light and heavy. Thanks!

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Ordered my first shirt. Lets see how this goes!

15. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior Member

Why are all your shirts no longer fitting?... Sorry if I missed that thread of conversation.