• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Think you could both be right here. A couple of online dictionaries I've looked at give definition of "monkey jacket" as short, close-fitting jacket worn by sailors, waiters & officers in mess and one gives origin of that usage as 1820 - 1830 "from its resemblance to a jacket worn by an organ- grinder's monkey".

Thanks Elwood, that's very enlightening. Nothing like a bunch of Skinheads engaged on an etymological quest!

Gsvs5

Reaction score

roytonboy

Reaction score
Welcome cerneabbas - I'm horrified that you had to explain to someone what a skinhead was!!

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gsvs5,i had a jacket that was nylon, light blue (very bright)with navy and white trim,probably about 1969.
Those Florsheim longwings look very tidy....John Simons shop is selling black Florsheim imperial for £239 reduced from £279,i wonder if they are the made in America or the made in India shoes ?

Watermelon man

Reaction score
Herewith, the cover of the first issue of 'Target', published by NEL in the early '70s. The 'Bovver boy' character is on the front cover, and the poster to which the giant man has referred was almost identical to this drawing.

[The sachet of brine shrimp cysts (so-called 'powder') has been removed from this cover, in case you're wondering. You had to provide your own salt, btw. Think I used Saxa, which may explain why the things died. As I said before, the skinhead in the cartoon strip was a loser, which is odd as the publication came from the same stable as the 'Richard Allen' books and the magazine offered discounts on what they called, if memory serves me, 'skinhead clobber'.]

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sirryacus...30 years as long as that ?
If i was going to pay £239 for a pair of shoes with an American or British brand name i dont want them made somewhere else,i know why its done but i think that it exploits the people who make them and the people who buy them.

bunty

Reaction score
Jeff Pearce (extreme right) Liverpool. No date.

http://jeffpearce.co.uk/about-the-author

Can anyone make the photo bigger please?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watermelon man,i really cant remember that magazine cover,as i remember the skinhead was stood by a milestone saying bovver,maybe i ate "the powder"....did the second issue of the magazine have a poster with first world war planes on it ?

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score
Ha Ha! Man after my own heart! I've uploaded a couple of surreptitious photos of culprits (usually overweight) wearing Crocs (usually yellow) on Facebook as it's a real bugbear of mine - if you want comfort wear Desert boots FFS.

Watermelon man

Reaction score
Watermelon man,i really cant remember that magazine cover,as i remember the skinhead was stood by a milestone saying bovver,maybe i ate "the powder"....did the second issue of the magazine have a poster with first world war planes on it ?
Can't remember. The first edition from April '72 (as you can see on the cover) included a poster of 'President buttons'. I think the 'Bovver boy' poster was several issues later.

Re: Monkey jackets. The book which I think will tell us the origin of the term is the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary, but at nearly £300, I don't think I'll be buying it soon. They probably have it at work, though.

Basset

Reaction score
Ha Ha! Man after my own heart! I've uploaded a couple of surreptitious photos of culprits (usually overweight) wearing Crocs (usually yellow) on Facebook as it's a real bugbear of mine - if you want comfort wear Desert boots FFS.

On the nail re desert boots, i've not worn a pair for years but remember them being comfy.
Other footwear hates, clogs, cowboy boots and Clarks pasties all worn by my teachers, who thought they were cool, infact they were hippy bellends.
More recently, Uggs as worn by people with cankles and long pointy turnt up shoes that make the wearer look like Mr Claypole

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads