1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Tried wearing a crombie the other winter, had to wear an incredibly thick cardigan and a scarf, not to mention freezing my ears off.

A donkey jacket just about works, got myself one of those without the pvc and with tartan lining. Donkey jackets wasn't part of the original look other than workwear though if i read correctly some 100s pages back. But at least they're thick and warm.

2. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Oi Roytonboy! Ye gunna answer my question??

3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

Very good post backed up with photographic evidence. I can relate to the London/South look but I didn't know what was going on elsewhere at that time so I can't comment on a Northern look.
    The boys from Bristol and the West Country seemed to have something else going on as well. I don't remember us wearing any other Sta-Prest colour other than the off white/stone as seen in the photos. We had Tonik suits but would not have worn tonic Levi sta prest. I don't recall seeing Tonic Levis in the shops. At 16 all my mates had suits many of them made to measure. If you liked smart clothes you usually managed to find the cash to buy them. We weren't rich but could easily get jobs to pay for the look. Boys that were in gangs that didn't leave their own 'manor' had the hard look and maybe not a suit or decent pair of shoes but most of us travelled all over London looking for a good time and a suit on a Saturday night was a given.
    The term 'boot boys' was often sung on the terraces as in 'We are the (football team name) boot boys. Lalalalala' etc.

4. Bob the Badger

Were those RAF coats really a part of the skinhead look in the North? I remember hippies, that listened to Prog Rock, wearing them down south.
    Greatcoat vs Crombie - no comparison. Crombie every time for me.

5. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, Botolph; I'll check them out.

On the question of how most macs seem to be above the knee these days, I remember back then that something today's typical length was often referred to as a "car coat". Obviously easier for driving in but at that time - even in the late 60s - there were far fewer motorists in the UK so that might explain the standard length being below the knee. Easy to forget how more people used public transport then. (Or had bicycles. When I first went to Maine Road, there weren't many cars on the big car park behind the Kippax Street stand and lots of the terrace houses that backed on to it had little homemade signs over their back gates: "Mind Your Bike 6d" (or some similar price for leaving your bike in the back yard while you were at the match) ... cue music from the Hovis advert.)

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood...You have just mentioned what I have been thinking about coat lengths,that they were worn longer then because people weren't driving cars,thats why I bought a pea coat rather than a Crombie a year or so back,but even that's a pain when the car warms up,have to start wearing a t shirt through the winter like all the rough tough youngsters I see about.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember seeing lads wearing harringtons or denim jackets under their crombies at night matches in the winter,I think that we had more cold/dry days then than we do now,I agree about the damp I hate it,seems to get right into your bones.
    Standing on an uncovered terrace in the freezing cold,watching your team get stuffed and wondering if your going to get back to the railway station / coach without getting your head kicked in...
    then it starts to rain !..happy days

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

As I said the "older" lads would have worn suits to get in the Top Rank and other places in town.
    I have been thinking today ( unusual I know ) about Levi sta prest...as well as the two tone colours that I have mentioned,I remember these plain colours...Stone,Olive green,Light ( ice ?) blue, Navy blue,Charcoal grey and ( maybe ) Black,not to sure about black.
    BTW,did you look at those Sanders jodhpur boots that I mentioned ? anything like you were looking for ?.

9. Bob the Badger

I Have the same BB Mac in a 40R and mine sits just above the knee. It is a few years old with a generous cut and I can wear a jacket under it. I am just over 6ft and for me it is the correct length. Any longer and it would drown me. Today most macs seem to be cut too short, for my tastes, at a car coat length I like a Raglan cut to the sleeves but the BB is a standard sleeve. Some of the macs on the US ebay site posted by Botolph look pretty good.

10. Bob the Badger

Yes I did look at the Sanders boots. Thanks for the tip. Quite good but not exactly what I'm looking for. I am a bit of a fussy sod.
    Annoyingly, my missus bought a pair of jodhpurs this week that were the exact shape I'm after but they didn't have them in a mens version.

11. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Regarding the dampness and cold. I can't help imagine that skinhead fashion would have turned out sort of differently if it had originated in Sweden. It's all good and well to wear a harrington, a cardigan, shirt, perhaps a scarf it it's temperate. In -10 to -20c, wind and 2/5 of a meter of snow it ain't. T'is time for wool socks in the boots right about now.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

As I have written before,I had my Suits MTM.The only time I bought a pair of Mohair Two Tone Trousers,OTP,was in a shop-in "The Cut".Never saw 2-Tone Levi Sta Prests,and if there were Jackets to match,nobody I knew had one.

Went down to Brick Lane(Sunday),saw some interesting stuff.Sheepskins between £35 and £65.Blackmans is certainly a shadow of its former glory.It looks scruffier than before-and no real style shoes either.:)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

What I cannot remember,is Girls going out with next to nothing(back in the 60s) in Winter-like they do now.

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that we are all fussy sods on here it goes with the territory,we want clothes / shoes just right.
    Bexley also do a jodhpur boot,worth a look on their website.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I know...its good isn't it ?...

16. bunty

bunty Senior member

The Originals that I speak to were a bit older than the average Skinhead (19+) and called themselves Mods, even now they wince at the term 'Skinhead' but to me with my limited knowledge, that's what they were.

I think there maybe a bit of snobbery from the older lads that were Mods in '63/'64 and followed the look right through the 60's, Skinheads, I got the impression from the old uns, were the younger kids who had shaved heads and ran around causing trouble (as they had done 5 years earlier :D)

I'm not getting drawn into the North/South thing!

Do you remember mums and nans always knitting* and the groans when you opened a Christmas present to find a 'nice woolly'

Anybody wear a home made jumper back in the day? Or was it just for Hippies only?

Some tiddler Skinhead assured me that to look hard at school, he and his mates would make fake scars on their faces by sticking their skin together with Loctite!

...........where's me superglue?

*Google it younger readers.

17. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Yet again, your response to these 2 posts contain the same elements that I would have replied with. We are only a few miles apart and the same age.

Its interesting that how people dressed and their discipline did not vary much over a few towns and yet they would not have been meeting up to discuss what was in fashion or to be worn. Our clothes were not the style that was being advertised in the media at the time. But somehow we just knew what was right to wear and how to wear them

18. Aces and Eights

Taxis mate.

Back then we walked everywhere and dressed for the weather - we had the choice of good sensible clothing. Girlfriends always put their arm through yours as yours were tucked in your sheepskin. Even girls then had sensible shoes that they could walk a few miles in.

Nowadays the scantily clad girls get a lift from dad to a venue, and a cab home all arranged by mobile phone - better and safer - but of course I preferred our day

19. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Yeah,they were popular as a alternative to the Parka with the Scooter riders predominantly.Only the RAF ones.The big collar turned up helped keep your ears warm and they were a heavy coat.
    I remember trying desperately to convince a kid at school to "Lend" me his Army Cadet Force one, as it was a perfect Boys size .Wrong color - but I felt like the Dogs when I put it on.
    After that it was a Mac ,preferably Stone,layered over your denim Levi jacket.Then came the Crombie and for the lucky few,a Sheepskin,initially the 3/4,and then knee length.
    The final Winter coat was a Gloverall Duffle Coat.That's how it was from 68-72 in Stafford as I recall it.
    In retrospect I think the Stone Mac was my favorite look of all.It never caught on as big as the Crombie or Parka ,so the look was never cheapened IMO.It looked equally great over your suit as it did over boots and jeans.It was a traditional menswear staple that despite Harold Wilson being in your face every night,looked young ,fresh and sharp on us.(Sadly I only had a Navy one then )
    The Greatcoat was a crossover item,like the Grandad shirts/vests- equally at home with the 6th Form Common Rm prog rockers.

20. Aces and Eights

I have mates who I still see now who were in their early 20s in 69 and we have spoken of this subject and they said that they did not class themselves as mods as they did not wear the Carnaby Street style Mod gear but more of the skinhead style before it got labelled skinhead. They agreed that they would have liked to have been described as 'hard mod' which would have suited their style

At 15 in 69 we followed their style and as discussed on here before when the media caught on and named us Skinheads it was not a title we would have chosen for ourselves

No one would have given a thought to have worn a homemade item of clothing - you would have been ridiculed out of the boozer