Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

The navy Blue one is almost identical to the one I had in the late 60's as I recall - exact same striping combination.The only thing is ,ours were all Nylon.These are Poly/Cotton blend,so will look/hang a little different i believe.

2. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Thanks Elwood, that's very enlightening. Nothing like a bunch of Skinheads engaged on an etymological quest!

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

4. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Welcome cerneabbas - I'm horrified that you had to explain to someone what a skinhead was!!

Last edited: May 8, 2013

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Gsvs5,i had a jacket that was nylon, light blue (very bright)with navy and white trim,probably about 1969.
    Those Florsheim longwings look very tidy....John Simons shop is selling black Florsheim imperial for £239 reduced from £279,i wonder if they are the made in America or the made in India shoes ?

6. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

Herewith, the cover of the first issue of 'Target', published by NEL in the early '70s. The 'Bovver boy' character is on the front cover, and the poster to which the giant man has referred was almost identical to this drawing.

[The sachet of brine shrimp cysts (so-called 'powder') has been removed from this cover, in case you're wondering. You had to provide your own salt, btw. Think I used Saxa, which may explain why the things died. As I said before, the skinhead in the cartoon strip was a loser, which is odd as the publication came from the same stable as the 'Richard Allen' books and the magazine offered discounts on what they called, if memory serves me, 'skinhead clobber'.]

[​IMG]

7. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

They haven't been made in U.S.A. for close to 30 years now I would say.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Sirryacus...30 years as long as that ?
    If i was going to pay £239 for a pair of shoes with an American or British brand name i dont want them made somewhere else,i know why its done but i think that it exploits the people who make them and the people who buy them.

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Watermelon man,i really cant remember that magazine cover,as i remember the skinhead was stood by a milestone saying bovver,maybe i ate "the powder"....did the second issue of the magazine have a poster with first world war planes on it ?

11. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Ha Ha! Man after my own heart! I've uploaded a couple of surreptitious photos of culprits (usually overweight) wearing Crocs (usually yellow) on Facebook as it's a real bugbear of mine - if you want comfort wear Desert boots FFS.

12. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

Can't remember. The first edition from April '72 (as you can see on the cover) included a poster of 'President buttons'. I think the 'Bovver boy' poster was several issues later.

Re: Monkey jackets. The book which I think will tell us the origin of the term is the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary, but at nearly £300, I don't think I'll be buying it soon. They probably have it at work, though.

13. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

[​IMG]

Here you go, good find Bunty.

Last edited: May 8, 2013

14. bunty

bunty Senior member

^ Well done mate, thanks.

15. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

Ha, ha its okay mate, the way the forum works does take some getting used too.