1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Obviously I know nothing about the Two Tone Levi's Sta Prest from a personal perspective but Levi's did have the Action Suit and later in the 70's the Panatela perhaps they made it to England as well?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have done a bit more of a search and they only seem to be available here from Macys online and there are some on e bay.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I don't remember them ,I have it in my mind that there was a jacket that went with the Levi two tone sta prest ( and I could easily be mistaken ),I wonder if there was ever a suit jacket for the ordinary Levi sta prest ? if there was it wasn't worn much here ( Bristol ) or I would remember it.
    BTW, are the Levi 751 available in the States ? we have them here now in denim and corduroy,they are "standard fit" and seem to be the same cut as the Levis that I remember from about 1969 / 70...they aren't made from the same denim though.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

That's an interesting one! When I started college I became good mates with a lad called Pete. Pete was one of the very few non-skinhead types who wore a denim Levi jacket (in fact he had quite long hair and was more of a rock fan). He told me that he had been attacked by some greasers in Stockport one night because he was wearing said Levi jacket and was therefore perceived to be a 'skinhead'.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

In the beginning of the eighties, you could find a lot of deadstock sta-prest, and contemporary sta-prest. The two tone "tonic" ones, were very rare, and i never had one. I remember that at the time you could easily find two tone "tonic" jackets, but they were not made by levi's. They were cheap, of poor quality, quite badly cut (but they could be altered), and imported. And they had two buttons. Never had one either.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That's how I felt initially, although by the time I arrived in S E London nobody there seemed to be using the term 'mod', and 'skinhead' was a term of abuse. By the time that Sta-prest, Harringtons, and brogues from the Squire Shop became mainstream amongst us in 1969, the style had progressed and formed something recognisably different. Rooted but different. By then the 'movement' was known as 'skinhead' and I simply accepted that. It would have been totally different for younger lads coming into it from scratch.

I'm sure I've said all this before, so I'll leave it at that.

7. Man-of-Mystery

London-centric attitudes in all aspects of culture are well-known. But then a hundred years previously 'The North' would have been three days' journey by stage coach, and almost a different country.

I'll never forget going back to Blackpool wearing jungle greens and cherry red boots. I was met with blank stares from my former crowd. Also people stared at my 'riders' (worn with Levis) and wondered why I wore footwear so bad for dancing.

8. Man-of-Mystery

Okay, I'm stepping back to Blackpool 1968, which is comparatively close to roytonboy's neck of the woods. By 1968 the denim jacket had replaced the plain surfer jacket. Gradually blokes with more money would turn up in wheat-cloured cord jackets, or Levi suede or leather. Just shows how different an experience can be a handful of miles down the road. The greasers did not like us wearing leather, and a Levi leather could get you into a fight.

So where I was it went plain surfer jacket -> Levi (or Wrangler) denim -> Levi cord -> Levi leather and suede if you could afford it. The denim jacket stayed popular from its introduction.

In S E London it went from surfer jacket (with piping) to Harrington, missing out the Levi denim altogether (although, as we have seen from other London comments, it was definitely around in other parts of the Metropolis as a major 'mod' item).

9. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

This is exactly how I remember that time, living in East End and Essex borders. Skinhead was a term of abuse for early adopters of the look. Was it a term of abuse in other parts of the country? We wore smart clothes as often as we wore street wear.

10. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I've never saw such a thing these are the style available on the US Levi's Website.

501[​IMG] Original
    501[​IMG] Shrink-to-Fit
    505[​IMG] Regular Fit
    511[​IMG] Slim Fit
    513[​IMG] Slim Straight
    514[​IMG] Straight Fit
    504[​IMG] Regular Straight
    508[​IMG] Regular Taper
    510[​IMG] Skinny Fit
    517[​IMG] Boot Cut
    527[​IMG] Slim Boot Cut
    550[​IMG] Relaxed Fit
    559[​IMG] Relaxed Straight
    560[​IMG] Comfort Fit
    569[​IMG] Loose Straight

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I asked a bloke in work today ( his father owned a mens clothes shop in the 60s and 70s ) and he said that Levis did make a suit jacket in Two tone material ! but not as far as he can remember in the plain sta prest material...I remember the jackets that you mention from the late 70s 2 buttons and no vent ? .
    I have to say that I am a bit surprised that after a 1000 plus pages,Levi two tone sta prest hasnt been mentioned before ?..they were a big part of the look here in 71,mind you Bristol blokes have always been smart dressers...
    The alternative to plain sta prest here was Ev va press ( not sure of the spelling ) and there was a jacket to go with the trousers in those too.
    One reason why the Levi two tone jacket wasnt seen could have been the price ?....or maybe they just looked sh1te,be interesting to find a picture of the jacket...I was thinking about it and maybe there was also a silver/grey two tone coloured trousers.

12. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

MoM and Bob the Badger - that is pretty much how it was for me too living in Chelmsford (mid Essex). I do recall the term Skinhead being welcomed at first as it conferred a sort of status that we had not previously 'enjoyed'. Almost immediately of course, as so often happens, it turned rather sour and we sought to distance ourselves from the term. Yes, its all been said....

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Exactly. 2b and no vents. Maybe in some rare cases there was a vent, but it was sewn, and you had to unsaw it yourself. I regret now i didn't buy one then, cheap stuff but i could have made it altered. Only "tonic" i ever had is the lining of some of my crombie style coats.
    Funny thing, Fred Perry displays on its last collection some "Tonic" stuff. Not great IMO. i had a look at the Harrington in a shop, the" tonic" is not bad but i really don't like the color (It was the blue one, but not a blue that i dig).
    (I spell "Tonic" cos as we know real Tonik was made by Dormeuil).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  14. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

That would wind up to be an interesting discussion. If I have to be honest, the way it's been told here I've always preferred the "london look", that's the style of clothing that inspired me. And to be honest while I do like some interesting exclusive bits of the north like the driving gloves and (although I would never wear it myself) and the berets from the army surplus. I never digged the double denim look. That's not to say I don't like a nice Raw indigo Denim jacket, I would rather wear it with jungle greens or sta-prest, and fair isle is definately not my favorite knit pattern. It might be that London is exclusive to the whole Ivy influence? And yes hair seem to be kept short but not always done in the shortest grade. It's funny that Roytonboy's saying that those skinheads passing hippies is one of the few things that he deems "skinhead", while those lads get slagged on here by the London boys for being scruffy (and where suspected of being brought in from outside of London... but ended up being older lads from Borehamwood).
    I find it odd that some on here mention the Suedehead as the smarter look of the two, the way I see it, as has been told, skinhead period sound the smartest of the two. I see suedehead nowadays (not always, I've been interested in it in the past) as like how mod developed in 1966, to loud compared to the early mods. But then again that's because my perception is widely influenced by the London look. And skinhead as been told here, sound the minimalist of the two. And it's color that makes the difference in here. All the colours i've heard from mustard John Smedley's jumpers (also something not seen in the north?) to Ice blue sta-prest/cords, all the loud colours of harringtons you don't see today.

Really interest in what you have to say Roytonboy. Because why would you not deem them skinheads i they don't have the hair but they have everything else (boots, sheepskin, sta-prest etc. etc.).

Here's a bit of the impressions I have on the differences between london and the north drawn by me... (although I'd have to say exaggerating the differences). It's definately not 100% correct, but I did my research.

Making this picture I would have to say it seems to me that London had a much larger wardrobe and variety of clothes to choose from.

London:
    [​IMG]

Northern:
    [​IMG]

Sources of inspiration or London:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/the_terrifying_gangs_of_englan

vs source inspiration north:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have mentioned before two tone raincoats and a harrington that I saw around 1970,I have seen two tone harringtons being advertised online now but I wouldnt buy one,I do remember one blue / black raincoat that I saw,I would have that one now.
    Levis must have strange directors,although they obviously make a lot of money just from their name they dont seem to listen to their customers very much...if in 1977 / 78 they had reintroduced the early 70s sta prest,plain and two tone,they would have made a lot of money in Britain.

16. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Maybe the 751 is only available in Britain ?,you can see them on the Debenhams website,I think that they look ok,but maybe not very good quality.
    I know that people have complained that Levis have changed the shape of the 505,I dont understand why they do that,why not just introduce a new style with a different model number ?.

17. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

I must say, i do have a preference to the northern look. But something i havent seen discussed; what did you wear in winter? Sheepskins would do i suppose, but i was under the impression not everyone could afford those. Perhaps you didnt have those -20c winters we have here?

18. Mr Knightley

I have always thought that one of the special talents of the well-dressed skinhead was to be able to do just that and always to look perfectly at ease in either. So often a youth fashion has been about 'dressing up' on a Friday night or whenever and not about living with the look. Even the Mods that went before us majored on the very smart look and would I think have struggled to master the art of really casual dressing. Many later fads involved almost a single look - Glam Rock, New Romantics, Punk, etc.

I think it was cerneabbas who recently said, in response to a picture of some brogues I put up from Mr Porter, that the whole look was spoiled by the length of the trousers. And he's absolutely right of course. People today don't have a clue. Anyone who did not go through the rigid discipline of being a skinhead (I guess I am referencing the London model!) and having to dress well every single minute of every day just won't get it, will they? There may be exceptions on here of course.....

I'm sure roytonboy was being deliberately provocative with his side-swipe at the South, but no suits? That can't be right....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  19. Mr Knightley

No, we live in a temperate climate. My mate Antoine Blanche referred to Britain as 'these damp islands', of course!

Sheepskin - I didn't

Crombie style of coat - I did

Stone colour mackintosh - I did

Layer up under the Harrington with brushed cotton Viyella shirt, nice M&S V Neck and Tootal scarf.

20. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

If you like the Northern look,grey RAF Greatcoats were worn around 68/69.