• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never ever saw Baracuta Harringtons worn inside out. The tartan lining stops at the line of the raglan sleeve so it wouldn't look too good inside out. Anyone doing that would have got laughed at in my day. Maybe the knock-off Harringtons had fully lined tartan but even then you would end up looking like the Bay City Rollers (or one of their fans).

The funny thing is that you've now got me thinking as to whether I ever saw anyone wear a Harrington inside out 'back in the day'... and I can't shake the idea that I did see that on a couple of occasions. This is going to haunt me now.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was from 'Target' (not to be confused with another comic of the same name) which was a short-lived boys' weekly magazine which hit the newsagents' shelves in April 1972. It was published by the New English Library which, at the time, was also publishing the 'Richard Allen' skinhead books.

'Target' was about 30 years ahead of its time. It had relatively few cartoon strips, and included articles on pop, films, fashion, football and other things the editor thought might interest teenage boys. Perhaps because it was missing the vital element of sex, the magazine didn't last long (others have suggested the high cover price of 10p might have contributed to its demise -- its nearest rival, ITV's 'Look-In', was only 5p).

Anyway, it had a regular skinhead strip, 'Bovver boy', and often included special offers for skinhead-style clobber. Unfortunately 'Bovver boy' was normally the butt of jokes and came off worst in the stories.

'Bovver boy' appeared on the cover of the first issue of 'Target' magazine combing his non-existent hair. He was a typical comic strip bully and always ended up being 'owned' by someone else in the stories.
Any idea what publishing company owned 'Target'?

roytonboy

Reaction score
About 1972 there was a TV documentary about Belfast's 'Tartan Gangs'. The lads wore what was described as 'an extreme skinhead style' and were pictured with wide, short jeans, boots, some of which were 10 ten hole Doc Martens and, yes you've guessed it, tartan scarves. I wore a tartan scarf myself for a while, following that. Looked good muffler style with a Levi Jacket. At college I became mates with a lad from Ballymoney and he told me it was not just the Loyalist lads who had tartan gangs (as shown in the programme) but the Republican kids also. They just wore different types of tartan. Bay City Rollers killed all that. Funnily enough I got my daughter to buy me a tartan scarf for Christmas and I wear it under a Levi jacket and, during the recent cold snap, with a sheepie. Elwood - no prizes for guessing which tartan it is!

Last edited:

McDermott

Reaction score

Dated ca. 1967, Carnaby Street. But look at the fella on the far right
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Looks like possibly a leather harrington... ?

Re : Tartan scarf wearers, my mate lent me a brilliant book called 'Gangs of Dundee' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gangs-Dunde...id=1366358404&sr=8-1&keywords=gangs+of+dundee) about Dundee gangs later 60's through to 80's who wore distinctive jumpers knitted in there 'gang colours'. Might have been mentioned on here before. A good read with a fair few mention of late mods and skinhead , the times back then etc. Im in the process of getting a similar inspired jumper knitted, completly black v neck with a single white band around right arm sleeve.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Re the 1967 Carnaby Street photo the no. plate on the Jag. suggests the date could be correct. Without being sexist, the guy has the look but his girlfriend doesn't quite 'match up'. Or maybe she does with some kind of quilted parka?

Back in '69, as we know, Brutus had a good range of tartan check shirts. There was a shop near Aldgate East station that sold the complete range of Brutus. At the time I thought Brutus was a Ben Sherman cheap knock-off and thought the material was inferior .I think they were made abroad which was a no-no for me (unless it was USA). I did however buy my first pair of Sta-prest from the Aldgate shop. If I had known the Brutus brand was created by East End boys (which I found out from this site,thanks) I might have bought a couple. I did like their patterns but not the design or length of the short sleeve.

buttons

Reaction score

Re the 1967 Carnaby Street photo the no. plate on the Jag. suggests the date could be correct. Without being sexist, the guy has the look but his girlfriend doesn't quite 'match up'. Or maybe she does with some kind of quilted parka?

Back in '69, as we know, Brutus had a good range of tartan check shirts. There was a shop near Aldgate East station that sold the complete range of Brutus. At the time I thought Brutus was a Ben Sherman cheap knock-off and thought the material was inferior .I think they were made abroad which was a no-no for me (unless it was USA). I did however buy my first pair of Sta-prest from the Aldgate shop. If I had known the Brutus brand was created by East End boys (which I found out from this site,thanks) I might have bought a couple. I did like their patterns but not the design or length of the short sleeve.

The bird in the quilted anorak might just be walking by. Doesn't appear to be with him.
Sorry to be picky Bob, but that's a Triumph GT6 - the straight 6 2000cc answer to the MGB GT. Lovely car. Often considered a poor man's Jag! I used to have the Vitesse convertable with the same engine, chassis etc.
Don't think that jacket creases like a leather. Looks like a harrington collar (or a collar at least but possibly with stripes on the waistband - or his jumper it sticking out by a very consistent amount)

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
The bird in the quilted anorak might just be walking by. Doesn't appear to be with him.
Sorry to be picky Bob, but that's a Triumph GT6 - the straight 6 2000cc answer to the MGB GT. Lovely car. Often considered a poor man's Jag! I used to have the Vitesse convertable with the same engine, chassis etc.
Don't think that jacket creases like a leather. Looks like a harrington collar (or a collar at least but possibly with stripes on the waistband - or his jumper it sticking out by a very consistent amount)

I stand corrected on the make of car. You are right of course. I like people to be picky so that we get it right. Your Vitesse convertable was a car I coveted but could never afford at the time.
If he is not with his bird then he should be with 1/2 dozen mates. That was the only option
smile.gif

buttons

Reaction score

I stand corrected on the make of car. You are right of course. I like people to be picky so that we get it right. Your Vitesse convertable was a car I coveted but could never afford at the time.
If he is not with his bird then he should be with 1/2 dozen mates. That was the only option:)

While we're on the subject, I know most of you lads were too young for cars, but in the day, what was the car you really wanted or you saw older lads in? And I don't mean the Lamborghini Miura but realistic cars that young lads were driving / wanting. That's assuming of course, your dream machine wasn't a Lambretta.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
While we're on the subject, I know most of you lads were too young for cars, but in the day, what was the car you really wanted or you saw older lads in? And I don't mean the Lamborghini Miura but realistic cars that young lads were driving / wanting. That's assuming of course, your dream machine wasn't a Lambretta.

Being 15 in 69 my dream car was the Lotus Cortina MK1 white with the green flash and with the 'new' disc brakes

Another favorite was the MK2 2.8 Jag especially in red. My girlfriend at the time her elder brother by 10 years gave me a lift home in his red one and all the time i was hoping that my mates were about to see me in it but alas no one at 1 am in the morning. At that age someone 10 years older and a bit of a lad with a red Jag was a person you aspired to wanted to copy when you were a bit older and with more dosh.

Ironically having owned more than a 100 motors in my life I never did get a Jag - probably best left in the old '50 things to do before I kick the bucket list'

elwood

Reaction score
About 1972 there was a TV documentary about Belfast's 'Tartan Gangs'. The lads wore what was described as 'an extreme skinhead style' and were pictured with wide, short jeans, boots, some of which were 10 ten hole Doc Martens and, yes you've guessed it, tartan scarves. I wore a tartan scarf myself for a while, following that. Looked good muffler style with a Levi Jacket. At college I became mates with a lad from Ballymoney and he told me it was not just the Loyalist lads who had tartan gangs (as shown in the programme) but the Republican kids also. They just wore different types of tartan. Bay City Rollers killed all that. Funnily enough I got my daughter to buy me a tartan scarf for Christmas and I wear it under a Levi jacket and, during the recent cold snap, with a sheepie. Elwood - no prizes for guessing which tartan it is!
That's an excellent choice then, roytonboy!

elwood

Reaction score
Quality car that Vitesse, buttons. Lots of style. Always used to fancy the TR5 and TR6 - never got remotely near either, so I'm not sure they count as realistic cars, well maybe slightly more realistic than a Lamborghini.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Looks like his Mum!

If he is out with his Mum, at that age, in Carnaby Street,in 1967, then maybe he wasn't as cool as we think he is! You might be right, his girl should look more like a young Lulu or Sandie Shaw. She is probably just a passer by.

I was a fan of the TR series of cars but never had the money for one. In 1970/71 when we started to get cars they were normally used Dagenham Dustbins (Fords). My mate had the MK1 Cortina in 1971 and I bought a MK2 1600GT Cortina in 1972. I bought a MK2 Capri in 1978. Some of our mates had firms vans and we used to pile in the back, suited and booted when we went out. My dad had a Ford Consul Classic and I always wanted a Ford Consul Capri.

yankmod

Reaction score
Re:Carnaby St. Pic.I don't think she is with him.I suspect his mates are in front of him out of frame.It looks like his Jumper is peeking out underneath the Harrington and it looks like he is wearing Levi's Cords.Too Bad we can't see his shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads