Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

That looks a bit on the short side to me. We used to wear them about Knee length and as Lasttye says we bought them in Navy so that they could be also worn at school. I have a Tan/Beige Brooks Brothers Mac that is no longer in production but would now cost an 'arm and a leg' anyway.

2. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

without seeing it on a real person it looks like a lab coat.

3. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

My cousins ex-husband drove a Mercedes 280 SL back in about 1967. We loved it. What was remarkable was that apparently he couldn't read or write, never seemed to work much, yet always had wads of money on him and was only 23 years old. I have never seen his name mentioned in all those East End gangster books and he has never been in prison. His funeral should be interesting just to see who turns up.

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Dreams? More like a nightmare - plastic pig! (Okay, slightly better than a Reliant but...) :D After a brief flirtation with a re-bored Lambretta SX150 - cranked up to a 175cc - it was Minis for me until 1979, when I got a company Ford 'Concertina'. (Ford Taurus for our Yank cousins.) :nodding:

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

There was thriving black market from them at my school - leave it on a hook outside the classroom in the morning and nicked by break time - so we ended up carrying them round all day.

Stone-Dri was where I got mine. Blue, black and IIRC, a revesible blue/cream one - just the job. :satisfied:

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I flirted with scooters in 1970 but Vespas were never big in Manchester - it was a Lambretta or nothing - even a Vegla(Sp) would do.

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Yes ,that's the problem with a lot of the new ones,they are just too short or the collar isn't quite right.Like you i had the Navy one back then,but the older Lads mostly had the Stone/Ivory ones,never Black though?

8. Basset

Basset Senior member

The bloke who lives next to me olds had a robin as he only had a bike license, am i right in thinking that the early ones had no reverse gear, which related to the bike license

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]

Just found this, and bugger me - tartan hats! No dates, any guesses?

As a 7 year old, this is the car I dreamed of owning in the late 60s :)

[​IMG]

Failing that, the Monkees' car would have sufficed!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

10. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I never liked cars(noisy)and I rarely ride in a car(makes me very nervous,especially cause I live in a city voted Worst drivers in the US as well as the highest rate of drunk driving fatalities in the US) I do like scooters (Vespa and Lambretta) But the one time I tried riding one it became evident very quickly I was gonna kill myself.I like to keep my feet on the ground.That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the aesthetics of auto design (New Mexico has loads of Old cars and Trucks,no rusting in the desert) There are rare vehicles here you find nowhere else.

11. Basset

Basset Senior member

The real nightmare car was me old mans Austin cambridge, plastic seats that got to 1000 degrees and burnt me legs in the summer, it wasn't fit for the road " what do you mean officer, my veichles crabbed? "

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

[​IMG]

Just found this, and bugger me - tartan hats! No dates, any guesses?

I'd say about late '73, way up north, Scottish borbers maybe (although on the borders they were probably still dressing like this in '79!).
    Note the inside out harrington on the right. Kid on the floor in beagle collared gingham shirt with braces. Clearly little kids catching the back end of skinhead style. Interesting.

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

AC Cobra, every time.

I also liked motorbikes, but could never stand the soapy way that greasers dressed.

14. Man-of-Mystery

Thanks for the info. :)

15. Man-of-Mystery

Funnily enough, I recall a 1970 'mini-skin' girl from Beckenham (Fenella by name) who was crazy about the Bond Bug.