Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

You are right about tartan being ruined by the Rollers and their fans. I know they weren't around in '69 but I was trying to conjure up the image. After my paisley silk scarf I used to wear a tartan scarf for a while (pre Rollers and a little bit early Rod Stewart). I also had one or two tartan ties for formal occasions.

2. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

"You can't compare Chaplin to Hitler" [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

3. buttons

buttons Senior member

Exactly - Chaplin - silent movie funny man with quirky tash. Great. Then Hitler comes along with his reign of misery and destruction and the tash is ruined forever.
    Tartan scarves - all well and good with the right outfit. Once all that Shang-a-lang bollocks takes hold, the scarf's image is dead and buried.
    R.I.P

4. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

It was from 'Target' (not to be confused with another comic of the same name) which was a short-lived boys' weekly magazine which hit the newsagents' shelves in April 1972. It was published by the New English Library which, at the time, was also publishing the 'Richard Allen' skinhead books.

'Target' was about 30 years ahead of its time. It had relatively few cartoon strips, and included articles on pop, films, fashion, football and other things the editor thought might interest teenage boys. Perhaps because it was missing the vital element of sex, the magazine didn't last long (others have suggested the high cover price of 10p might have contributed to its demise -- its nearest rival, ITV's 'Look-In', was only 5p).

Anyway, it had a regular skinhead strip, 'Bovver boy', and often included special offers for skinhead-style clobber. Unfortunately 'Bovver boy' was normally the butt of jokes and came off worst in the stories.

'Bovver boy' appeared on the cover of the first issue of 'Target' magazine combing his non-existent hair. He was a typical comic strip bully and always ended up being 'owned' by someone else in the stories.

5. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

'Extreme'? Don't make me laugh.

I still dress like that now (although I wore black socks to work today). Red socks (often football socks folded down) were normal from the early to mid-'70s at least.

I might call the '80s 'extreme', but as far as I'm concerned red socks and shortened trousers are normal skinhead attire which I still wear almost every day (an exception will be a meeting I'm off to next week, when I'm wear a suit and brogues)

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Lads was wearing Tartan caps with the bobble on..around 72....fcuk knows how it came about?...could have been a Rod Stewart thing, or Football...never wore one myself.

7. elwood

elwood Senior member

I'd blame the supporters of a certain team from O. Trafford. When T. Docherty became their manager in 1972, he brought in a lot of Scots players and their fans went tartan daft. It became almost easier to spot the divide in Manchester by red tartan than usual scarves. I think it waned once the Bay City Rollers took off - like Buttons said, that killed any sense of style.

8. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

Small world RoytonBoy ! Especially Royton.

9. bunty

bunty Senior member

Not strictly relevant, but great photos eh?

[​IMG]

The Cage Football Chaps, White City 1966 (Douglas Gray)

[​IMG]

The Dive Bar of the Springbok, Shepherd's Bush 1966 (Douglas Gray)

Pequod and loempiavreter - Great photos.

Enjoyed the 'All Dressed Up & Going Nowhere' documentary, great find Flyfronted.
    The 'taches on some of the lads look good too, surprisingly. How common were they then?

10. Basset

Basset Senior member

I think a few items/styles have gone thru that, flight jackets, bleached jeans spring to mind, cant blame the rollers on these thou

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

Not the best of pictures but here's that tartan Baracuta I mentioned a page ago.
    And even a tash thrown in for good measure, Bunty!
    [​IMG]

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

very true my liquorice friend.

And sadly, the term "skinhead".

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I wear a Stewart tartan scarf sometimes in the winter, it was a gift. But I don't think anyone is going to think "Shang a Lang bollocks", except me possibly.

14. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

[​IMG]

Dated ca. 1967, Carnaby Street. But look at the fella on the far right :slayer:

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Cool pic loempiavreter.1967? What do you folks think,is this guy a Mod or a Skin or a Transitional Cat.