1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Agreed!

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Very interesting read. The very first time i saw skinheads was in Leicester in 1979. They were hangin' around a shopping centre in town, don't remember the name but it was quite big. They were fierce. You could feel aggression, pride, and it was better to avoid "eye contact". Of course, they were 2nd wave skins, nothing to do with the guy telling his story in the newspaper. But they were a shock for me. First time i noticed DMs. I bought my first pair the next year. At the time, you could only buy them in England.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau,Were there punks in Paris at that time ?,I saw skinheads in Paris in the very early 80s.
    BTW,your paraboots looked good in the picture,I would like a pair but I don't think that I would be wearing them in 20 years time..

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Oh yes, there were punks in Paris from 1976-1977, i guess. The Sex Pistols played in the "Chalet du lac" in 1976. And The Clash came early too to play in the city, like the Stranglers, etc. The first Paris skinhead gang, the fearful "skins des halles" were former punks for most of them.
    My paraboots got a lot of wear (you can see it in the picture...) They are very comfy. They got a very thick rubber sole (half used!), and are made in "norwegian stitching". Hope i will keep them another 20 years[​IMG].

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that the paraboots would be a good alternative to monkey boots or Doc Martens,interesting about the punks in Paris as early as that..I fond it strange to still see punks in Germany about 5 years ago,I cant remember when I last saw one here.
    BTW,do you see many people wearing Doc Marten boots now ? and is it blokes or girls ? here I mostly see girls and not so many of them usually girl students ( have seen 3 since the beginning of October )....

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

The punk movement came really early in France. There were influences from the American punks too (Stooges, Ramones, etc) and there were French punk bands very early on.
    But you won't see a punk in paris now. They're all dead. And if you spot a skinhead, 99% chance he's a bonehead.

It's true that now the most people i see wearing DMs boots in Paris are... Teenage girls!

About Paraboots, we were talking recently about the fact that most shoes are now made abroad. Well the Paraboots are still made in France, and i don't find them that expensive because the quality is really very good.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I was thinking the same about the paraboots,they look better when they have been worn than when they are new IMO,are they easy to find in the shops in France ?.
    I was wearing my monkey boots today and I was thinking that most people have never seen them ( I have never seen anyone wearing them for many years ) but if I was wearing DMs people would be looking at them and thinking girls boots,times have really changed since the 70s when DMs were everywhere and monkey boots were the "poor boys" boot !

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Yes Paraboots are easy to find here. A lot of small shops stock them, and department stores too. And they now have got small flagship stores. As i already said, the "Michael" is a classic here, and is wear by youngs and olds, boys and girls. I think there is a simple reason for that: it's the best model in terms of durability,and has got a look of his own. One you like or you hate, like you said about Monkey boots. I think (not sure) that some Englih mods used to wore them at one point.

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Around Manchester brogues were popular right through 1968 -1972. Initially almost exclusively brown, then brown and oxblood 1969/1970 with black, especially longwings (or 'Royals' as we used to describe them) becoming much more popular 1971/1972. I am tempted to say brown and oxblood were 'skinhead' wear and black were more 'Suedehead'. It could have been that the older lads were going into 'town' more smartly dressed on a Friday or Saturday night and wearing black brogues with suits and blazers but I wasn't aware of this. To me being skinhead in 1969/70 was Levi's (or similar), boots, brogues and sta-prest, but I was 15 at the time.

Brown and oxblood always looked better with jeans and light sta-prest IMHO but that is just my opinion. Black certainly smarter with Prince of Wales or Tonic trousers.

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Very few companies are keeping their products well made,I hope that the ones that do are successful.
    I find it sad to look at some clothes and shoes now and to remember how much better they used to be ( now I sound very old ),the accountants must know how to maximise the profit margin,but it leaves us fewer and fewer choices,even the so called quality brands are mass produced by the cheapest methods.
    I forgot to mention that I saw the Barbour Steve Mcqueen "Harrington" in House of Fraser,Cardiff,I thought that it looked ok the material was a lighter weight than the coats,but when I tried on a large it was too small ,the XL was a nice fit in the body but the sleeves completely covered my hands !.

11. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Thanks for that Ed. - an interesting read, but as is often the case, raises quite a few questions. Browniecj is quite correct, this guy is 56 now, making him only 12 or 13 in 1969. Of course memories blur with the passing of time and it is told through a third party journalist who may have been a bit selective in what he chose to include and in what order, hence some of it rings true, some of it not quite so. I usually take all this violence stuff with a pinch of salt - just as every former mod you ever meet was always the snappiest dresser with the flashiest scooter, so every ex-skinhead you ever hear about was the toughest lad on the roughest estate who supported a team whose fans were the hardest in country, who NEVER ran.(this forum excepted!) Did I get into street fights as a skinhead and 'aggro' at football matches? Yes I did. Was this happening week in week out? Certainly not - but that wouldn't make interesting copy in the local paper would it?

12. Inks

Inks Senior member

I have only been into Next twice. Once, because I heard the store in Oxford St had a glass floor on the first floor in the early 90s (I'm not a perv, honest). Then in the mid-90s I bought a pair of chinos from the shop in Uxbridge for a summer wedding I was attending. The seat seam split when I tried them on back at home. Obviously wasn't impressed with the quality. I couldn't even be arsed to return them.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember the black brogues well because there was a shoe shop next to the bus stop when we went to school,I was fascinated by the curl on the brogue pattern so they weren't longwings,i think this was about late 1970,I was 12 then so just starting to take a real interest in different styles.
    I agree with you about brown shoes looking better with jeans also with navy coloured trousers IMO,mind you I always remember one lad from school turning up after school one night wearing black brogues,levis and a royal blue Harrington,none of us had all that kit then and I was quite envious,mind you he was an only child and his dad had a good job so he was always ahead of us when it came to clothes / bikes.
    I also agree on the black brogues and POW trousers,which I still do now,although sometimes with black brogue boots.

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Next seemed to go downhill steadily from the first few times that I went there,I did buy some POW check trousers there this year,only because the colour and the check reminded me of the 70s,the material isn't all that brilliant,but they haven't started to disintegrate ( yet ),I only usually go in there if I am out shopping with the younger blokes that I work with ( they think its great !,mind you they enthuse about Vans !),Burtons is another shop that's mainly crap now ( although I got a wool pea coat there last year,amazingly ).

15. Basset

Basset Senior member

16. Basset

Basset Senior member

Me for one, theres plenty of variety within the various styles talked about on here.
    As for updating it and moving it on, to my mind you cant, the styles are set, and the updating/moving on has been done, hence the title of this thread, there's room in the mod style, the very word modernism suggests this, but i know plenty of mods who would disagree, i've seen countless arguments on mod forums re this subject.

Of course an individual can go where he likes with his style, i think it's a question of where you get on and off the bus

17. Inks

Inks Senior member

That's the thing with certain High Street retailers, the inconsistency in product quality. For every good quality pea coat and pair of POW strides, there's a thousand pieces of schmatte to look through. At least with the overpriced gentlemen's clothiers, there is consistency. And, if on the off chance you do buy something 'off' from them, they would be embarrassed, and replace it quick-smart. That is preferable to arguing the toss with a clueless, spotty Saturday-boy and receiving a credit-note for stuff you don't want.
    I bought a navy-blue Harrington from the Merc shop in Camden in '96. Blimey, the quality was awful. Loose threads, crappy zip. The quality was on-par with the ones they sold down at street markets back in '79/'80. Now I see Merc is having a laugh with their prices at the expense of men of a certain age, and Hipster-try-hards.
    I was after a pair of POW lallies, I've only seen Relco and Warrior making them in the cut I like, but I bought a paisley BD by Relco, and I was not impressed. I ended up buying a pair of 60s deadstock US-made houndstoooth/dogtooth trouies from a place in New Jersey for £9.
    I'm still going to take a punt on the Irish-made Next longwings though.
    [​IMG]
    The check is a bit on the big side (not 'chef big') Bloody well made though.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The trousers look tidy,I agree its difficult to find POW in a nice material and cut..there were some on that Adam of London site that looked ok.
    With that pea coat,I spent ages looking online for a grey wool one,then one came up in Burtons,I thought oh that will be sh1te,they have been rubbish for years,anyway I went in and had a look they had one in my size I couldn't believe how good it was ( and about 60 quid) I bought it but I noticed that it soon went off of their website,I think that it was underpriced and they weren't making enough profit on it,and if they charged anymore none of their customers would have bought them....the coat had sleeve "adjusters" that I don't like,and when I took it to the Chinese lady who does my alterations,she was impressed with the quality of the material,as you say every now and then one good find.
    Sadly there are very few proper gents outfitters left locally and it seems very few tailors,as for Warrior,Relco,Merc,after what I have read on here I am dubious about their stuff.

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Well I disagree with some of this and agree with some of it.
    First why cant you update it ? and why are the styles set ?...lets face it you cant get everything that you could then,and even what you can get is mostly not the same quality....but there maybe alternatives to the original kit or something that wasn't available here then.
    Secondly,as regards the Mod thing there will always be a conflict there between someone with a Modernist outlook and a Mod revivalist ..IMO

20. Inks

Inks Senior member

I've just seen a couple of episodes of 'The Strange World of Gurney Slade' on youtube. It was made in 1960, but Anthony Newley is sporting some pretty Mod duds considering how early it was made; Three-button bum-freezer, thin tie, collar-bar/tab-collar shirt, narrow strides and a short Mac.