1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I think that there is a tendency to over emphasize the quality of the "High Street" back in the day.Now,as then there are still well made products available,it's down to affordability and relative to the economy/perceptions of cost and value.i wonder how many kids today have worn a pr of socks that have been darned,jeans patched,jumper elbows covered,jacket cuffs trimmed with leather?The fact is we often used to wear things until they were worn out.That all ended in the 60,s.
    We have got used to cheaper prices ,that has to come at a cost,and the cost is dismissed quality.
    Take the Gap for example.They have Old Navy,Gap and Banana Republic under their wing.You can buy similar styles from all three,but the quality and price is different.They have essentially got all the demographics covered,it's up to the consumer to determine what they desire and what they are prepared to pay.
    It' no different with Designers providing diffusion lines.The Black Labels,Purple Labels,Rugby,Polo,RRL etc.etc.
    Availability,choice and variety now bombard us .Not just in clothes,but in everything! I hear next year that "white" fridges are back "In"....not your old White,but a new Super White.Wait 'till your Mrs,start telling you that the Stainless Steel one is starting to look old and not working well......

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

:brick::brick::brick:

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I agree with the fact that earning a regular wage is a huge impact on the choices you can make.The fact that at around 16 you could maybe start getting away with being served in the pub and as the laws of puberty dictate,Girls are having a bigger impact on your life than your scalextrix ever did - it's that awkward age.
    My youngest Sister was about the same age as Roy at that time and I know she did everything within her power to stop me from being able to get into "Her" Youth Club .The last thing she needed was her snotty nosed little Brother spying on her,but the fact is the place was full of like minded kids ,all dressing and looking the same and some of them working.The oldest Lads did not appreciate the young Herbert's clipping at their ankles,I am sure,but the fact that it was a Fashion couldn't hold anyone back.I was a regular (along with a decent number of similar aged mates) at the Top of the World on a Mon. Night to see the live Soul groups.and Sundays at the Rugby Club.Getting involved in Football violence,Drinking in pubs and shagging birds was not part of my daily life.Apart from that and paying Taxes,then I can't' see what the difference is?What am I missing here? Having a Driving License is the only thing I can think of.

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Sorry, she has dressed me (!!!) for the past 35 years - and usually gets it - more or less - right.

I hate the hassle of trying gear on and buggering about with less-than-interested youths in stores.

I'll say I need/want x, y, or z, I identify them online and she'll get several similar items. (Read: different sizes.) :embar:

Should I decide they are not for me, she takes them back. She loves shopping. It's her hobby. :nodding:

I will shop for beer, though - and make my own way to football matches. (Oslo/Molde on the 19th of November for three days for a Norway v Scotland friendly.)

I may buy something if anything catches my eye. :satisfied:

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Those Scandinavian players can get a bit pricey Ed;)

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I am glad you have put this up,because I knew(back in the 60s)that John Simons was pushing "American Clothing".I was told-on another Site that I was naïve in thinking that (I was 17/18 at the time)by so-called experts on the Ivy Shop.I remember seeing Ads saying exactly that-and here is one to confirm that.Up yours "Noir Buff". :)

8. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

What was the drive behind this wear American campaign anyway didn't British manufacturers make similar clothing?

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Talking about Gap,I found some nice Merino Wool Cardigans(fine Guage)with Pockets on the front.In their Shop and On-Line,they only go up to XL.On the American Gap Site the same Item goes to XXXL.I wrote to Gap(U.K.)and asked why there was no larger sizes here.I said not everybody is "pigeon chested" and that they would find the larger sizes would go-not like the smaller sizes which would go into the Sale.Needless to say,they never answered.....:D

10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

And, at £7-£8 a pint... it seems nothing is cheap there.

That said, I was in Oslo a few years ago and found it cheaper than iceland. :slayer:

And on that cold note: has anyone been watching the series: 'iceland - life in the freezer cabinet' or something?

The group owner/MD wears some incredibly tidy BD shirts - as a multi-millionaire I'm sure he can afford to - and in general, is a very well-turned out fella.

Just thought I'd mention it. :satisfied:

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It was something that Shops like Cecil Gee,Austin Reed etc.,had started in the early 60s,selling American Clothing.Because English Clothing seemed so ordinary,American Clothing looked sharp.On the Blue Note Albums you had Miles Davis etc. looking the b*ll*cks-we had Matt Munroe!!!Later Mods(like myself)still wanted the own this Style.But it did not come cheap.John Simons knew this-he was a "Modernist" himself.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

OK some of the Clothing was British made(Harringtons)but it took an American Soap Opera to show it to us.:)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Mr.Knightley,Royals were made by Timpsons in the U.K.

14. Basset

Basset Senior member

There bloody good shoes, thats for sure mate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes,Skinhead Crown Jewels....:D

16. Basset

Basset Senior member

Which have broke my heart, im gonna have to move em on, as there to narrow for me [​IMG]

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D

18. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Sorry, I meant the Loake offering.

19. ek77

ek77 Senior member

the swingo porkies were a skinhead band from paris.. they started in 1979...
    [​IMG]

20. ek77

ek77 Senior member

but there are still alot of oi and punk gigs in paris these days...
    a great new skinhead band from paris are lions law...
    [​IMG]