1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. papyloic

papyloic Member

included the article from The Times with famous pic... and one from 1971[​IMG]

2. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

Just got that Ben Sherman - 50 Years Of British Style Culture book by Josh Sims.
    http://www.bensherman.com/us/mod-ular-blanc-50-years/

It covers several eras of UK street style in this order: Ted to Rocker to Mod to Northern Soul to Punk to Skinhead to Two-Tone to Casual. That should immediately set off some warning signs for anyone on this board.

Some good pictures but mostly stuff you'll have seen before. Not much new info for the informed types on this board, and quite a few mistakes to my uneducated eyes. The skinhead section does mention originals but gets timelines mixed up... gives 1980 as the release date for Symarip's Skinhead Moonstomp for example. Also, anyone ever see anyone wear harringtons inside out "to show the lining"? Prepared to be proved wrong on this but I've never seen it. Pretty much 90% of the photos in the Skinhead chapter are from the 70s-80s revival period, and a mostly scruffy lot they are.

Josh Sims is a "freelance style writer" and wrote Icons Of Men's Style among others.

3. Botolph

Botolph Senior Member

Bizarre. In the South Boston neighborhood and surrounding areas, townies would wear their Baracuta jackets inside out to show the label, proving they were wearing a real 'Cuta with their Adidas Gazelle and Lacoste polo(with the collar turned in so it couldn't be grabbed during a fight):slayer:

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior Member

Forgot about that Botolph.Southie always had unusual style Ideas.I remember the Converse High Tops with pants rolled up high.A dangerous place for some,Southie.

5. buttons

buttons Senior Member

Any pages worth scanning and posting on here, mate?
    Would be interested to see what he's got to say in places (although I know I'll be reading it and cringing).
    Usually these books are very uninformative - just thrown together by someone in a hurry who doesn't work for a living, so turns out two books a year to make a few quid. Have seen some piss poor stuff written about Fred Perry, Dr Marten and Ben Sherman - not getting into any detail on style and what happened when, where and why. "oh and by the way, skinheads wore them". Rubbish.

As for harringtons inside out - it did go on but for most, it was at the back end of the jacket's existence.
    This is me mate Bryan in 1973 at the tail end of his skinhead years with long back and sides ...
    [​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Something like that is actually standard publishing practice. Got it covered. I'm still obliged to try.

7. Man-of-Mystery

No problem.

(A lot of them seem to be of ME! :D )

8. Man-of-Mystery

What comic was that from?

9. Man-of-Mystery

Thank you. Are these your own photos? If so, could you make individual shots of the articles for me, and let me know what publications they appeared in?

10. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior Member

yankmod - I thought the very same thing about the length of the pants, and I can assure you I was very much part of the scene in 1971. Late in skinhead, very wide jeans started to be worn, two makes were "Skinners" (very big on Merseyside) and "Wrangler Baggies". Usually worn by younger kids and these were tended to be worn a bit shorter. Sadly this mutated into the Slade thing and ultimately, almost as a caricature, into the Bay City Rollers image. Look back to an earlier post on here at the "Boot Boys" photos, this style is evident there.The only similarity between these kids and the skinheads are the Doc Martens and the fact that they would fight at football matches. Some of the Scotswood lads look about 14 or 15 in late 1971, This means they would have been 12 when the original skinheads were first about.

Red socks very 1971 though.

11. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior Member

In the mid 1970's a mate of mine started going out with a Geordie girl (i.e. a girl from Newcastle) When he went up to visit her he did find it difficult to understand everything that was being said. (bear in mind that we are from just outside Manchester, so are northerners ourselves) He told us about one night he was out in a club and after a few drinks and the music and all, he was really struggling to catch what people were saying. He was stood at the bar and thought "I really can't understand anything these two are saying" when he turned round, it was two Asian lads speaking Bengali!

12. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior Member

Harringtons were sometimes worn inside out, but I would say this was only done occasionally by a wearer just for a change, and not seen very often. It was not long before poorer quality Harringtons came on the market and these had nylon inner sleeves so it couldn't be done.

13. yankmod

yankmod Senior Member

[​IMG]

14. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior Member

I'm shuddering..... she has a horrible accent!

15. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior Member

Now up there is a strange accent!