• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
Just for the record I saw Bronco Bullfrog at the Stafford Picture House around that time.There were two Cinemas in town ,The Odeon and the Picture House.Both showed mainstream Films..So it was seen outside of London around that time in at least one Midlands town.Having said that,we were the only ones in the matinee that afternoon and walked back out before the end into the rain,very dissapointed . I've never seen any of it since and agree that we viewed them as you Lasttye- scruffy cnuts.
The only impresion that stuck with me was that years later when I lived in London( '80's ) I used to go over to Brick Lane near the Truman Brewery for the Markets on a Sunday morning, and I always had flashbacks of a B&W picture of skinheads walking under the bridges in the East End.It must be the association of cobbled streets,Bengalis and a poor desolate area.
Love this recolection.I like the Film as it's the only one I know of with skins/suedes.I like the shirt above.Hard to say about the collar without tryin it on.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is the collar to small..those large button down collars now look a bit hippy and dated.

I don't mean as compared to Mikkel Rude,etc. with their giant bat wing collars. Beams' collars are small compared to Brooks Bros, Gitman Vintage, etc. sort of like J. Crew and all.
Beautifully made kit, Beams Plus, just a critique on the midget collars and a little "buyer beware" action.

Little Queenie

Reaction score

I am currently having issues with access to the site. It’s partly my own fault as I have ‘mislaid’ my password. This is not a problem on the computer I am currently using as it remembers my password. But when it comes to my pc at home and my iphone I am buggered. So, three times now I have asked to receive an email allowing me to re-set my password and three times I have received a message to say such an email has been sent. I have not received one!

So, it is highly likely that I shall need to re-register with new details including, I suppose a new user name. Unless of course I am about to be expelled! Watch this space.

Having got that off my chest I was interested in what Gsvs5 and others had to say about the contrasting colours seen back in the 60s – more so in the mod era. I too recognise this trend. I guess history has shown us that movements in menswear tend to follow the social, political and economic trends of the day. The light-hearted ‘never had it so good’ 1960s saw a profusion of often extreme and rapidly changing styles, as did the early 70s. Then in Britain we had the miners strike, the effect of the crisis in the Gulf, the general decline of traditional industry and menswear followed. So, while man was a strutting peacock in the early 70s with long hair, higher than usual shoes, lots of bright colours, he ended the decade looking very dull indeed.

Today we find ourselves in perhaps the most depressing period of my lifetime and, with no prospect whatsoever of any improvement, it is not surprising we dress in a rather sombre way. I fear even those of us that take a keen interest in our appearance cannot fail to be influenced up to a point by the general trends of the day.

Whenever I travel to London on business now I am always struck by the ‘sea of black’ at Liverpool Street station. I know the City has always been conservative but this is too depressing.

I have been having computer problems too...... very frustrating, you have my sympathy!

As for colour and fashion, I agree, I always see the colours of clothes in the '60's as reflecting the optimism of the era. I think a lot of people seem to be afraid of colour now and stick with black because it's easy and you don't have to co-ordinate it (have you noticed how bad some people are at putting colours together?) So saying, I think teenagers do wear quite bright coloured clothes at present, at least my son does.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Just came across the voicesofeastanglia.com and found the following info that I never knew:
Brutus was started in London back in 1966 by two teenage brothers Keith and Alan Freedman and became an iconic brand during the Sixties and Seventies. They started off making one style of jumper before extending the range to include shirts, jeans and t-shirts. For the curious amongst you the name came from the brothers’ favourite after shave at the time – Brut 33.

The Brutus brand was probably best known for their jeans and shirts particularly the Brutus Trimfit an update of the original Ivy League shirt with a sewn-in box pleat and figure-hugging style – best not to wear one if you developed a slight paunch. This was the shirt of choice for self-respecting mods, skinheads and suedeheads around in the late-60s and early Seventies and has recently been revived by Keith Freedman’s son Jonathan.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just came across the voicesofeastanglia.com and found the following info that I never knew:
Brutus was started in London back in 1966 by two teenage brothers Keith and Alan Freedman and became an iconic brand during the Sixties and Seventies. They started off making one style of jumper before extending the range to include shirts, jeans and t-shirts. For the curious amongst you the name came from the brothers’ favourite after shave at the time – Brut 33.
The Brutus brand was probably best known for their jeans and shirts particularly the Brutus Trimfit an update of the original Ivy League shirt with a sewn-in box pleat and figure-hugging style – best not to wear one if you developed a slight paunch. This was the shirt of choice for self-respecting mods, skinheads and suedeheads around in the late-60s and early Seventies and has recently been revived by Keith Freedman’s son Jonathan.
I never did wear Brutus or Jaytex..they was considered cheap crap that the little skinheads wore. Nothing could compare to the quality of the Original Ben Sherman....even the American imports from the Squire shop was not up to the standard of a BS.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I never did wear Brutus or Jaytex..they was considered cheap crap that the little skinheads wore. Nothing could compare to the quality of the Original Ben Sherman....even the American imports from the Squire shop was not up to the standard of a BS.

I agree Roy, although I did flirt with Jaytex.

That piece is wrong too in that Brut 33 (also ****) came out in 1975, eleven years after the original. It was so called because it only contained 33% of the fragrance! Of course, the Brut Faberge EDT is still available in the original bottle and I must admit to wearing it still.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most my shirts are Ralph Lauren...for the quality and amazing colours..in plain,check or stripes they are unrivalled..they are not traditional skinhead style ..so not everyones cup of tea so to speak.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I agree.The only thing I dislike is the logo on most RL products.i have some Purple Label shirts and outerwear that don't have any thankfully.He really has produced/reproduced some great items over the years without diluting the brand quality IMO.
Using the best manufacturers in the right countries for a particular product,such as CJ and EG for better shoes for example.
Similarly I used to buy quite a few shoes from Paul Smith which were CJ made,but he seems to have departed that route some time ago.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
That's interesting Lasttye and i'm sure that's how you felt then.,but do you still feel that today?It opens up a key point IMO about the whole influence of working class kids being involved in movements such as Mod/Skinhead and the life long effect it can have on them weather or not they rise above their original roots and class system.I'm certain Saville Row,Bond Street and Jermyn St could have provided far better than Timpson or Ben Sherman back then,but we were not aware of it.The local Tailor in Soho or Kilburn was not in the same league as one on the "The Row".What the Ivy Shop did was raise your perceptions,deliver an experience and develop your taste level above what the majority of people within your social group could afford to experience.
This brings us where we are today( with some exceptions ) Working class blokes with beer money and Champagne tastes.As I think Flyfront noted,we really have no right discussing $1000 shoes,but we can dream !Well we actually have every right,don't we? We are able to understand better than most at least why we are asked to pay what we are for what we are offered.Goodyear welted,Blake construction,single needle tailoring,weft and warp all beyond the vocabulary of most.
There have always been "Specialty" shops the like of The Ivy.I think of people like Matches in Wimbledon,Scott Crolla in Dover St and a host of similar up and down the country who have teased the pounds out of our pockets over the years after Mod.This all in part stemmed from an education in street fashion,which brings me to today,where I start at the top of my desires and work my way down to the best I can afford,with the knowlege that I am at least an educated consumer with beer money.

yankmod

Reaction score
Most my shirts are Ralph Lauren...for the quality and amazing colours..in plain,check or stripes they are unrivalled..they are not traditional skinhead style ..so not everyones cup of tea so to speak.
Saw two Ralph BD,Short Sleeve,Checked,in Macy's last summer on sale(50$)One was a nice lite blue.The other was Peach.They looked a little baggy for me.I agree nice clothes(a little pricey for me)

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember Brutus...haha...cheap crap from Hong Kong. I had one of their fury hooded snorkel parkas when I went to school, and I left school in '79. All the kids had them, Think there was Brutus, Lord Anthony and Keynote, that were the most common brands for these things.

BTW I think there a Trutex as well? Along the same lines as Brutus.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads