Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I remember Brutus...haha...cheap crap from Hong Kong. I had one of their fury hooded snorkel parkas when I went to school, and I left school in '79. All the kids had them, Think there was Brutus, Lord Anthony and Keynote, that were the most common brands for these things.

BTW I think there a Trutex as well? Along the same lines as Brutus.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting Imputs again.Regarding Brutus,never touched them.I knew a few that did,but they looked cheap.
    As regards to Saville Row etc.Even if we had the money to spend there,they would not have served us.Snobbery was rampart.I always remember the story of a young 60s Actor going into a Rolls Royce Showroom,and getting ignored.He was not of the "Class" you see.When he eventually got noticed he paid for it,there and then.Of course the Salesman was delighted,he had instant Commission-whereas the other lot would have put it on Account(and then let them wait forever with Payment).I have said before,I dressed for myself.The Ivy Shop was not the only Shop of its kind.Ok,Simons started a trend in Shop Lay-out-but there were others who sold "American Style" Clothes.He only took the idea on,and with good Business knowhow. There was another side of Mod.These were the ones that shopped in Bond Street etc.My Wife worked in the Area during the 60s and said there was an offshoot.The Youngsters who bought the Clothes worked in the Shops-so Discount was available to them.
    Today,I "Cut My Cloth To My Requirements" meaning £200/300 Jeans etc.,are out of my range.I do not dreanm about what I could buy etc,I bought it when it mattered.

3. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Good point Colin. As a teenager I would spend a large percentage of my earnings on the skinhead era clothes. I had to have the latest popular items by the right makers . When the era died I lost interest but still kept smart but would not pay the high prices like before.

Today although still tidy I look for a bit of secret Lycra in my jeans / strides - - comfort before style now

I looked at Ralph Laurens web page as recommended by Lasttye and their shirts are quality and had instant appeal. At £85 I thought they were buyable. I think the Xmas present list will go out early to the family this year !!

5. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

£85 for 3rd world child labour made goods = quality?!!!!!!!

6. elwood

elwood Senior member

I remember berets being worn around that time. Late 1969 I saw them at Maine Road. Mostly black, but I'd swear I saw the odd green one too. As you say, it didn't last long.

A few hundred pages back there's a photo that was eventually identified as in Bolton I think, showing Union Flag being paraded by Bolton fans and one or two berets worn.

Didn't realise that they came from cycling shops though.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

:nodding:

Yup..that's Ralph Lauren. Where I am, there's a store that sometimes gets the rejects, seconds and second shift production from the sweat-shops that makes shirts and other apparel for RL. And the price is nowhere near 85 quid. :D

This was the company that supplied Team USA with a made in PRC Olympic uniform. :satisfied:
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-07/14/content_15580300.htm

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

8. elwood

elwood Senior member

I had a rather "bold" Brutus orange check in 1971. Agree that wasn't same quality as BS. Only ever had a couple of BS. One of the black & white gingham short-sleeved seen everywhere in 1970/ 1971 and my first which was a long-sleeved pale green & white oxford stripe. That was a lovely shirt. Interesting thing about that one was it came as a "set" with a matching tie in the same material as the shirt [​IMG]. (Think that - the tie, that is - got worn about twice!) Anybody else remember that from BS? I think it would be around late 1969.

9. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, Roytonboy. Good article - look forward to your next one. Pity about the photos. Maybe you can scan in separately?

(Seems like you must have posted that a few days before it appeared due to moderation. Not sure why it doesn't then appear as a latest post rather than going into thread retrospectively. Happened to my first 4 or 5 too.)

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I've probably said this before, but I can remember girls in S E London wearing either Jaytex or Brutus boys' shirts with mohair/trevira suits or skirts. The shirts were often gingham with counter-stripes of blue and green. I don't think these shirts ever looked that good on blokes, but for some reason they did look good on girls.

11. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

The first button down check shirt I had was a Brutus, I later went on to own Ben Sherman's and Jaytex check shirts. Ben Sherman was the 'top' label and highly prized, but of course significantly more expensive. I has a maroon/sky/white check Jaytex shirt which was my pride and joy - I used to wear it with a maroon sleeveless pullover and it looked great with Levi's and Doc Marten's or light sta-prest and brogues. I wore it on the Kippax, I wore it to the Youth Club and later to Soul Clubs. Later, as fashioned changed slightly, I wore it with a long sleeved sky blue pullover - $*@# me, I'm going glassy eyed just thinking about it! Top gear for a young City fan.

Although Ben Sherman's were most prized, no-one turned their noses up at Brutus or Jaytex at the time, in fact, if memory serves me well, BS only did gingham shirts, so if you wanted colour, it had to be Jaytex. Both worn by lads and girls.

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

My impression was that they looked good. Where and who they were manufactured by I have not looked into. Are not the majority of clothes made in third world countries?

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I think that was Michael Caine you are referring to browniecj?I actually have been into each of the J.Simon shops once and once only.I didn't care for the attitude and so never spent a dime.
    In the mid 70's I had the luxury of being a Merchant Seaman and could buy what I wanted in the States though.There is nothing I need today that I haven't got ,and am happy that I don't feel the need to follow trends in Fashion.This doesn't quash my interest in style though and that to me is the important legacy of being Mod.It's with me for life.That and the smarts to know that you never pay retail for anything:)
    My main point was exactly as you say though .You Cut your Cloth,but you do so with the knowlege and experience of someone who understands and cares how they spend their hard earned wedge.If I could give advice to any kid today though it would be to invest in the best shoes you can afford and then some.Look after them and you'l be comfortable and confident.It's the foundation.Back in the day It would have been a pair of Royals,today it would be a pr of double sole cordovan Vass wholecuts.

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

The Old World is now the Third World,The Third World is The New World, and the Old New World's gettin' old.

15. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Green ones definitely worn late 1969. The ultimate skinhead look around Manchester at that time - Levi (or Wrangler) denim Jacket and Jeans, Boots (not necessarily Doc. Martens at this stage) beret and driving gloves (sometimes referred to as "Right On Now" gloves!). This is the only place I have ever seen mention of the wearing of berets as a skinhead fashion.

Sorry I'm behind the posts, but they keep holding my submissions back.