1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Japanese label Beams Plus

2. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

Collars far too small? Can bet your life you'll need to siphon away this months mortgage payment to buy it as well!

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

Why is the collar to small..those large button down collars now look a bit hippy and dated.

4. yankmod

yankmod Senior Member

Love this recolection.I like the Film as it's the only one I know of with skins/suedes.I like the shirt above.Hard to say about the collar without tryin it on.

5. Botolph

Botolph Senior Member

I don't mean as compared to Mikkel Rude,etc. with their giant bat wing collars. Beams' collars are small compared to Brooks Bros, Gitman Vintage, etc. sort of like J. Crew and all.
    Beautifully made kit, Beams Plus, just a critique on the midget collars and a little "buyer beware" action.

6. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior Member

nope its £115 .

7. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

Prefer a nice collar roll myself Latts. Can't be doing with the scenester jobbies.

8. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior Member

I have been having computer problems too...... very frustrating, you have my sympathy!

As for colour and fashion, I agree, I always see the colours of clothes in the '60's as reflecting the optimism of the era. I think a lot of people seem to be afraid of colour now and stick with black because it's easy and you don't have to co-ordinate it (have you noticed how bad some people are at putting colours together?) So saying, I think teenagers do wear quite bright coloured clothes at present, at least my son does.

9. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Just came across the voicesofeastanglia.com and found the following info that I never knew:
    Brutus was started in London back in 1966 by two teenage brothers Keith and Alan Freedman and became an iconic brand during the Sixties and Seventies. They started off making one style of jumper before extending the range to include shirts, jeans and t-shirts. For the curious amongst you the name came from the brothers’ favourite after shave at the time – Brut 33.

The Brutus brand was probably best known for their jeans and shirts particularly the Brutus Trimfit an update of the original Ivy League shirt with a sewn-in box pleat and figure-hugging style – best not to wear one if you developed a slight paunch. This was the shirt of choice for self-respecting mods, skinheads and suedeheads around in the late-60s and early Seventies and has recently been revived by Keith Freedman’s son Jonathan.

10. Lasttye

I never did wear Brutus or Jaytex..they was considered cheap crap that the little skinheads wore. Nothing could compare to the quality of the Original Ben Sherman....even the American imports from the Squire shop was not up to the standard of a BS.

11. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior Member

I agree Roy, although I did flirt with Jaytex.

That piece is wrong too in that Brut 33 (also shit) came out in 1975, eleven years after the original. It was so called because it only contained 33% of the fragrance! Of course, the Brut Faberge EDT is still available in the original bottle and I must admit to wearing it still.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

12. Lasttye

Most my shirts are Ralph Lauren...for the quality and amazing colours..in plain,check or stripes they are unrivalled..they are not traditional skinhead style ..so not everyones cup of tea so to speak.

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

I agree.The only thing I dislike is the logo on most RL products.i have some Purple Label shirts and outerwear that don't have any thankfully.He really has produced/reproduced some great items over the years without diluting the brand quality IMO.
    Using the best manufacturers in the right countries for a particular product,such as CJ and EG for better shoes for example.
    Similarly I used to buy quite a few shoes from Paul Smith which were CJ made,but he seems to have departed that route some time ago.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

That's interesting Lasttye and i'm sure that's how you felt then.,but do you still feel that today?It opens up a key point IMO about the whole influence of working class kids being involved in movements such as Mod/Skinhead and the life long effect it can have on them weather or not they rise above their original roots and class system.I'm certain Saville Row,Bond Street and Jermyn St could have provided far better than Timpson or Ben Sherman back then,but we were not aware of it.The local Tailor in Soho or Kilburn was not in the same league as one on the "The Row".What the Ivy Shop did was raise your perceptions,deliver an experience and develop your taste level above what the majority of people within your social group could afford to experience.
    This brings us where we are today( with some exceptions ) Working class blokes with beer money and Champagne tastes.As I think Flyfront noted,we really have no right discussing $1000 shoes,but we can dream !Well we actually have every right,don't we? We are able to understand better than most at least why we are asked to pay what we are for what we are offered.Goodyear welted,Blake construction,single needle tailoring,weft and warp all beyond the vocabulary of most.
    There have always been "Specialty" shops the like of The Ivy.I think of people like Matches in Wimbledon,Scott Crolla in Dover St and a host of similar up and down the country who have teased the pounds out of our pockets over the years after Mod.This all in part stemmed from an education in street fashion,which brings me to today,where I start at the top of my desires and work my way down to the best I can afford,with the knowlege that I am at least an educated consumer with beer money.

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior Member

Saw two Ralph BD,Short Sleeve,Checked,in Macy's last summer on sale(50$)One was a nice lite blue.The other was Peach.They looked a little baggy for me.I agree nice clothes(a little pricey for me)