Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Gsvs5 - I enjoy some philosophy and old proverbs but you will have to give me a couple of days to digest that one !!! I am in there somewhere !!

2. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

3. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

My attitude is you only need ONE pair of shoes so buy a pair that will last a lifetime , same with jeans buy one pair whatever the price . if they are the ones you want they will last you a decade .

4. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Im a big fan of Ralph Laurens RR range .. expensive but timeless and you can always buy at the Bicester outlet

5. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Buying one for life isn't really my philosophy but I can respect it, I am more of the rotate so one item does not get too much wear type myself, I would say my problem with a lot of the ralph lauren is the logos as said beforeand the higher price lines are just out of my budget, speaking of the ben sherman I saw one the other day on heavy discount for 13 bucks was thinking of picking it up but it was one of those weird red and white mixtures that look pink from a distance not for me.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The high end Ralph Lauren shirts come without the logo.

7. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

thing is we in England only liked Ben Sherman because everyone thought they were American . Surely you can find tons of 60s shirts in thrift shops .

8. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

[​IMG]
    Someone recommended these from John Simons .. Allen Edmonds Mc Neil £320 .. ive never heard of the make - anyone have a scooby ?

9. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Allen Edmonds is a solid make. Probably falls somewhere between Loake and Alden in quality. The MacNeil comes in cordovan, but at a hefty premium that puts it's price in the range of Alden. Once we're in that ballpark, there are several other brands I would consider first. If it is instead the pebblegrain model pictured above that you like, AE is an excellent value in that price range.

10. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Plenty of 60's examples but the 70's and 80's stuff is obviously more plentiful but also less timeless.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes it was Michael Caine.

Always liked the Brown Grained Brogues.As I have written in the past,I had a pair(in the 60s)which I purchased in a Sale-and I did not know the Make(no Instep Label) until Jason put me right.

J.Simons Shop were a breath of fresh air.When I worked in a "Mens Outfitters"it was stuffy and to my mind cluttered.The Attitude I have described was there in "bucketloads"Mind you,the education I received,in that Shop,still stays with me now.I used to smile,when you had Teenagers come in and buy the Silk Ties and Handkerchiefs etc.The faces of the Senior Sales Staff was a Picture!!! :)

The Tie and Shirt Set was worn by one of the Characters in "Bronco Bulldog"(Joe Saville).Had one Set,never wore it together more than once.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

There was mention of these about 17 pages back between Botolph and Buttons I believe. They are a solid premium American Brand still made domestically I believe.up there with Alden in price and quality.Both cpmpanys offer similar styles on different lasts producing different toe shapes.Florsheim used to provide both with competition,but no loger since they moved production to India.if you can find vintage Florsheim ,seemingly they are in the same league.ypu can Custom order also directly from Allen Edmonds I am told.

13. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

14. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

I've just snared a pair of Flo Imps in buffalo leather for £120 from the states, inc postage!

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and shoes need a rest.

The leather needs to be given the chance to recover after a day on your plates.

We - collectively - tend to have become obsessed eith dry-cleaning, too.

Take a pair of pants off, hang them up - allowing the 'drop' - and leave for 24 hours in a well-ventilated room - and bob's your uncle, fanny's your auntie... and the job's a good 'un.

Unles you've pissed 'em, of course. :happy: