• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

What is the general view on here of the Mikel Rude shirts http://mikkelrude.co.uk/  im a big fan myself , they actually seem much more authentic than the Brutus / BS reissues ?

my fave shirts. have most all of them at this point. fit pretty spot on for me and I'm in the camp that likes the poly/cotton blend since I hate to iron. some of the best check patterns from modern brands too. also he is in the scene so you are supporting a peer and not some faceless company

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
my fave shirts. have most all of them at this point. fit pretty spot on for me and I'm in the camp that likes the poly/cotton blend since I hate to iron. some of the best check patterns from modern brands too. also he is in the scene so you are supporting a peer and not some faceless company
Couln't agree more.
I've sold off most of my old shirts to fund Mikkel Rude shirts.
The patterns seem to be going from strength to strength. Some really good check combos on his site.
It would be nice if the prices could drop a few quid though, so I could buy more.

Still waiting on them sta-prest from him too. Hurry up Mr Rude.

buttons

Reaction score
Gramps - Got any proof or substance to the claim the Made in England Baracuta stuff isn't made in England?

Alright Baggy, Not sure about now but about 6 years ago a lass turned up at Yarmouth scooter rally with a van full of Baracutas, all made in the factory in Yorkshire (where she worked). They were a mix of seconds and stuff from the outlet shop I think (and stuff through the tradesman's, no doubt) - from 20 quid to about 70, depending on colours etc. Mate of mine got one and it was nice quality. Sold like hot cakes.
Not sure if they still make them there now.

As for Mikkels and Brutus remakes, I haven't got either but from what I've seen, Brutus have got it on fabric, as they've re-done a few of their original checks. When you get up (not even very) close, you can tell its not an original as its a very inacurate 'copy'. Its not a bad easy option though, especially if you like a snack between meals.

Con Seanery

Reaction score

Same story for me. As a 46 year old, I hate ironing which is funny because in my younger years I was the guy that ironed every outfit every week, -and at any outing I basically refused to sit down. Didn't matter where I was, sitting was not an option because that would potentially flatten a crease ;)

flyfronted

Reaction score
Good stuff , American Classics had em in recently ill swerve by and see if my darby isnt a problem .

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Quote: Is their fairly recent, red 'Madras' style ss shirt from the archives i.e. a copy of a vintage shirt?
I know all the others are.

These aren't original but they still look good. The new one on the right is available in Feb 2013.

Last edited:

PxC

Reaction score

What is the general view on here of the Mikel Rude shirts http://mikkelrude.co.uk/  im a big fan myself , they actually seem much more authentic than the Brutus / BS reissues ?

I have one of each and what I can tell you is that the Mikkel Rude one is the best short sleeve shirt I have on every respect.
It's supposedly more authentic as a skinheads shirt than most, but what I really like about it is that it's not as baggy as an american "normal" Ivy League shirt, but it's also not silly looking as some subculture oriented brands that tend to make them super tapered and, worst of all, with really small sleeves. The Mikkel Rude fits great, has cool looking big collars but doesn't make you look like a teenager who's trying too hard. Also, the cloth is very lightweight, which is great for hot days, which are very common in these parts.
It's kind of expensive, but it's worth it. I'd definitely buy another one soon if it didn't only ship to Europe and the US.

The Brutus doesn't even compare to the M.R., but it's also better than the average "skin" shirt. However, I think it's a bit of a ripoff. I paid very little on mine because I bought it from a friend who ordered it too small for his size, but I don't know if I would buy it new from a shop for the normal retail price.
You can get better shirts for the same price and the material seems a bit dodgy. I think I read somewhere that they're improving on it.
It also has decent sized sleeves and a good fit for me. It's just not a class A shirt like they pretend it to be.

Last edited:

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

Is their fairly recent, red 'Madras' style ss shirt from the archives i.e. a copy of a vintage shirt?
  I know all the others are.

These aren't original but they still look good. The new one on the right is available in Feb 2013.

too bad the one on the left is sold out. I dont own a Brutus JTG or MR, most of my short sleeve bd's are BS, and I'm still trying to make up my mind which one of those to get. Comparing prices MR is definately the most expensive but reading the last post I guess its well worth the price.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
BBC One's 'One Show' - catch it on iPlayer later - covered the 'Scuttlers' - worth a watch if only to reinforce what other posters on this thread have already identified.

Apologies to those 'abroad', but i'm sure this forum's brighter folk will show you how to get it. :nodding:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I have one of each and what I can tell you is that the Mikkel Rude one is the best short sleeve shirt I have on every respect.
It's supposedly more authentic as a skinheads shirt than most, but what I really like about it is that it's not as baggy as an american "normal" Ivy League shirt, but it's also not silly looking as some subculture oriented brands that tend to make them super tapered and, worst of all, with really small sleeves. The Mikkel Rude fits great, has cool looking big collars but doesn't make you look like a teenager who's trying too hard. Also, the cloth is very lightweight, which is great for hot days, which are very common in these parts.
It's kind of expensive, but it's worth it. I'd definitely buy another one soon if it didn't only ship to Europe and the US.
The Brutus doesn't even compare to the M.R., but it's also better than the average "skin" shirt. However, I think it's a bit of a ripoff. I paid very little on mine because I bought it from a friend who ordered it too small for his size, but I don't know if I would buy it new from a shop for the normal retail price.
You can get better shirts for the same price and the material seems a bit dodgy. I think I read somewhere that they're improving on it.
It also has decent sized sleeves and a good fit for me. It's just not a class A shirt like they pretend it to be.

Y'know, I'm someone who works in the world of 'brands' and I'm constantly amazed at how little value manufacturers place on good value for money (VFM), and how a brand is perceived nowadays.

It's almost like - and yes, I've nicked this: 'it's like using a shotgun when, in fact, a sniper's rifle is required.'

To maintain a long-lasting product loyalty... WTF are brand owners doing, nipping in, snagging a quick buck then fuqqing off... when the product was good, well-respected and profitable... for a quick hit?

I despair!

'Trends', I suppose. Yeh?

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
too bad the one on the left is sold out. I dont own a Brutus JTG or MR, most of my short sleeve bd's are BS, and I'm still trying to make up my mind which one of those to get. Comparing prices MR is definately the most expensive but reading the last post I guess its well worth the price.
It's Great to have a few bucks to buy the nice shirts
But at the end of the day, you can achieve the same look with well chosen, fitted garments (vintage or modern) worn in a skinhead/mod slimfit/fitted style.

Clean, sharp and smart.
You dress to your means...like the originals did?
Same working class ethic me thinks..

Ed. I agree....What brands to you tend to buy these days.. or still consider VFM?

Last edited:

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score

But at the end of the day, you can achieve the same look with well chosen, fitted garments (vintage or modern) worn in a skinhead/mod  slimfit/fitted style.

Clean, sharp and smart.

Ed. I agree....What brands to you tend to buy these days.. or still consider VFM?

Saving money to buy the nicest smartest shirts only makes me look forward to the next pay check. But buying from pay check to pay check aint exactly easy. ;)

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Saving money to buy the nicest smartest shirts only makes me look forward to the next pay check. But buying from pay check to pay check aint exactly easy.
wink.gif
Welcome to my world. ha. ha.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

But at the end of the day, you can achieve the same look with well chosen, fitted garments (vintage or modern) worn in a skinhead/mod  slimfit/fitted style.

Clean, sharp and smart.

I'm aN OLD MAN. MATE.. I BUY THE BEST I CAN AFFORD.

Bollocks: that's cava, Red Bull and vodka for ya!

I'll post pics of my world - albeit a fat fukk, - later... I love autumn.. you can layer good gear. :D

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
I'm aN OLD MAN. MATE.. I BUY THE BEST I CAN AFFORD.
Bollocks: that's cava, Red Bull and vodka for ya!
I'll post pics of my world - albeit a fat fukk, - later... I love autumn.. you can layer good gear.
biggrin.gif
ha ha. I've quoted this so you can't edit it later.
Lets see these pics of your world, sounds great from an outsider
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics