• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

HughJ

Reaction score

I will be honest here.Mikkel Rude Shirt Collars look too deep to me.Reminds me of BDs that Mods wore(mid 60s).In fact,if you go to DNA and others you will see the same.I always go by the 3 Fingers,that is deep enough for me.I dress according to my Income-that is why I do not have Bespoke Suits now.I look around,to me,this part of the fun.:)

+1 on the collars - a little bit cartoonish. These days I buy shirts less frequently, but spend a bit more to have them made to measure. And free of polyester.

Motown25

Reaction score
Hi from Australia

I started life as a skinhead back in the late 80's in London, finished my time in the UK living in Stevenage, was always passionate about the style.

Arrived in Autsralia as a Smoothie Ruperts loafers and all, bit of a shock to the locals.

Still at 56, i still wear my Fred Perry's, Sherman originals, Crombie and Harrington's the collection of DM's totals 9 pairs jsut bought some new one ex the UK,

Have worn a pair of DM shoes every working day since the 80's just a bit annoyed can't get 4 hole shoes anymore.

have enjoyed looking through these pages brings back many memories of teh good days

Cheers

harrysgame

Reaction score

" Harrington Jackets, UK Original 1960's, Harrington Jacket, Harringtons.

We have been manufacturing our Combat label Harrington Jackets in the UK for over 40 years, no one else in the UK can claim this. We are THE UK's ORIGINAL HARRINGTON JACKET MANUFACTURER. Our jackets are made using the best quality fabrics and not cheap materials. There IS a difference between our Harrington jackets and others. YOU WILL NOT FIND BETTER QUALITY POLY/COTTON FOR UNDER £70.
Traditional, original and authentic Harrington Jackets manufactured by us using the same pattern and cut we have had for over 40 years. "

surely that claim is bollocks as Baracuta is the OG ' harrington ' and made in the UK for much longer , still easily the finest jacket of its style .

You are correct, but you try finding a Baracuta (not in the sale) from the Baracuta factory of website for under £70. You won't.

McDermott

Reaction score
+1 on the collars - a little bit cartoonish. These days I buy shirts less frequently, but spend a bit more to have them made to measure. And free of polyester.
Im a big fan of MR, but they are a 70's 'british' shirt style. I have alot of more ivy style 60's - smaller collar and baggier, often with no sleeve detail so i like both its what floats your boat. I agree some pure cotton would be nice but polyester blends are better for day to day wear and ironing. Checks polyester mix and oxford and plain pure cotton i prefer :)

I missed this on TV when it was on, but some excellent footage i hadnt seen before (forgive me if its already been posted) :

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was just looking at the MR shirts yesterday. The details and patterns seem spot-on vintage, I don't mind the big collar so much, even tho I prefer a bit smaller. I couldn't find any fabric content. Are they all poly/cotton blends?

note: I'm just a sideline observer of this thread, one on the most informative and interesting on styelforum btw. I'm not in 'the scene' but I have a fascination with the style of the early mods (pre-65) and the later suedehead look. I also love 60s reggae, soul and R&B.

Last edited:

bunty

Reaction score

'Getting ready to hit the town circa '69/'70'

Posted by Adlibsoul on www.soul-source.co.uk

(Can't make this any bigger)

Posted by Iancsloft on the same site

Think we have seen this series before (recognise the lad in the roll neck) not sure if this one has been posted?

Last edited:

Paint House Gang

Reaction score

Thought this was interesting whats peoples thoughts on singer Nick lowes style
Sorry to dredge this up but I'm catching up on three months of posts. In Will Birch's No Sleep 'til Canvey Island one of the guys from Brinsley Schwartz complains that Nick Lowe cut his hair and started dressing like a mod again (many in the pub rock scene were apparently ex-mods) without telling the rest of the band. They were embarrassed to be still sporting flares and beards. This would have been towards the end of the band's career, before punk broke and Lowe went solo. In the same book Ian Dury talks about wearing "Tuf boots and expensive raincoats" as a teenage mod in art school.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Getting ready to hit the town circa '69/'70'
Posted by Adlibsoul on www.soul-source.co.uk
(Can't make this any bigger)
Posted by Iancsloft on the same site

Think we have seen this series before (recognise the lad in the roll neck) not sure if this one has been posted?

Good Photo at the top,Bunty.If it is posted by Ad Lib,they are from Lincoln-that is where Ad Lib Soul takes place(an Soul/R&B Night that is Ticket only.No Flyers,just a phone call).I am going September-to see what it is like.It supposedly is a Cellar Club,just the way I like them. :)

Raff72

Reaction score
Must admit I quite like the MR shirts. You cannae have a collar too big for mine... Would be nice if they were a wee bit cheaper although postage is free after the first item which helps. I've managed to save up a couple of grand for my trip to thailand so hopefully I'll be able to turn that into a good few suits and mebbe a half decent crombie. Anyone know where I can get hold of decent tonik and sharkskin material over the intermeweb??

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

too bad the one on the left is sold out. I dont own a Brutus JTG or MR, most of my short sleeve bd's are BS, and I'm still trying to make up my mind which one of those to get. Comparing prices MR is definately the most expensive but reading the last post I guess its well worth the price.

John, dont even bother with Brutus. they were apparently shite shirts in the original days, and they are **** shirts today. Cloth is terrible, at least their first 3 models were cotton/poly so held up ok, but the newer ones are 100% cotton and fabric is cheap and ******. If you're going to use 100% cotton, it'd better be decent cloth. fit is ok, but sleeves are way too small in proportion. I dont have big arms but feel like i am gonna hulk out. That DM collab shirt is their best one, fabric is actually ok and colors are nice. i will probably take a punt on the DM gingham next year, but do yerself a favour and avoid their other shirts and just save up for Mikkel Rude instead.

Claudio of DNAgroove does very nice shirts as well. Now his collars are HUGE, which will not be for everyone. But he does use high quality 100% cotton shirting cloth and MOP buttons, a nice touch on a "scene" shirt. Fit is very good, and nearly same as Mikkel's.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

John, dont even bother with Brutus. they were apparently shite shirts in the original days, and they are **** shirts today. Cloth is terrible, at least their first 3 models were cotton/poly so held up ok, but the newer ones are 100% cotton and fabric is cheap and ******. If you're going to use 100% cotton, it'd better be decent cloth. fit is ok, but sleeves are way too small in proportion. I dont have big arms but feel like i am gonna hulk out. That DM collab shirt is their best one, fabric is actually ok and colors are nice. i will probably take a punt on the DM gingham next year, but do yerself a favour and avoid their other shirts and just save up for Mikkel Rude instead.
Claudio of DNAgroove does very nice shirts as well. Now his collars are HUGE, which will not be for everyone. But he does use high quality 100% cotton shirting cloth and MOP buttons, a nice touch on a "scene" shirt. Fit is very good, and nearly same as Mikkel's.
Cheap shirt material - ugh!

Again, I'll do the 'Scottish are mean' thing:- we're not, like everyone else... we demand 'value for money' (VFM), and we (collectively) get let down.

I reckon a serious number of 'original' clothing offerings are ****... move on, buy something of quality and avoid crap 're-brands'. (****** imports striping us up!)

The originals on here speak sense - avoid cheap imitations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads