1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

Richard Dreyfus and Ron Howard sport some pretty nice Ivy-ish stuff in that film.

1 person likes this.
  2. Inks

Inks Senior member

I was in the White Horse in Hoxton last year. I walked back from there to Paddington. It was hacking it down, but I didn't fancy getting on a Fight Bus. It's a fair old schlep, but I was pissed as a fart as usual, but the friendly whisky-fairies were guiding me, and making me fleet of foot. I don't mind it Upwest though. The trains run 24hrs a day from Paddington to my station, and the journey only takes 15 minutes. Sure, there's a load of helmets and Two-Can-Van-Dammes spoiling for a ruck up in town. But that's the price of 24hr food, drink, gambling and slags.
    I am quite sleazy though.

3. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

This question was for the UK members but,I love American Graffiti.Supposedly the first film to use older Pop songs as a soundtrack.The film was delayed because the Film Co.was afraid of the cost of using those tunes(I think that's why some of the tunes were done by a "Covers" band at the dance.) The clothes,the cars,the cruising.Maybe the best time to live in L.A.(before the drugs and cults and lunatics) You can imagine "The Beach Boys" among that crowd.

1 person likes this.
  4. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Think there's something maybe along the lines of the 'market skinhead'. Since this thread has talked about JS, american imported shirts, mtm suits etc what of the knock off brands you wore from surplus shops and the markets ? Did maverick, brutus, lonestar denim be acceptable ? What was the one item you envied or wanted- did you ever get it ?
    I recall my dad saying how he would skip lunch at school for a whole month to use the lunch money for a pair of staprest. I wonder how many skinheads would do that now.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You had all that before Inks.If you wanted to go below the surface it was there to be explored.

6. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

American Graffiti was huge for me as a (Scottish) kid, but I always had my eye on America... it's no wonder I ended up here. Small nitpick point Yankmod, American Graffiti isn't set in LA, it's set in the Central Valley (Modesto) although mostly filmed in San Rafael, north of San Francisco.

1 person likes this.
  7. con man

con man Senior member

great post, honest and free of any egocentric claptrap

2 people like this.
  8. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

So True.I forgot that.Big Up.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

It was a time when America was Great.

1 person likes this.
  10. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Indeed,a time when the whole country was on some form of speed and working there asses off.

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

I never had any school dinner in my last 4 years at school. Paid for most of my clothes as a young teen. Would rather be hungry and wear Levis than have shit jeans and chips.

1 person likes this.
  12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Adored the cars (apart from the Edsel), and it was great when 'Green Onions' came in.

13. Man-of-Mystery

To be fair, the 60s was fifty years ago. Thirty years ago it was the era of Visage, Spandau Ballet, and Durex-Durex... sorry, Duran-Duran.
    :D

14. Man-of-Mystery

Fer sher! :D

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

What about the missing bootlaces then ? They got stuck in a Waltzer maybe. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On the subject of tattoos, found this one. No idea of the date though.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  16. Oneflewover

Oneflewover Well-Known Member

I do not know how much Levis where in 1973, but my dinner money was 12p, which just happened to equate to 10 No6 and a box of matches. DAMHIK

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. buttons

buttons Senior member

Well over a fiver by then, so that's a lot of dinners.
    For me, it was the mid-80s, so I was saving up to buy second hand originals from Flip. Still added up to a lot of missed sausage rolls though.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Like I said,a Pikey.......just following fashion:happy:

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:)

20. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

That's why I said my hometown I'm certainly not from L.A. but car culture was the same I'm sure, we all know the story about how much had changed by the time it was filed thus they couldn't film it in Modesto.