• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sirryacus. You are right they were wrestling boots,the king of British skinheads Mick Mcmanus wore them in the ring,Mick died recently aged 93,he was planning a comeback but it didnt work out,we are thinking of a memorial "do" for Mick,would you be interested in attending ?

Gsvs5

Reaction score

These days i wear Sambas for knocking about on days out with the kids etc, cant say i've ever associated trainers with skinheads

No ,this thread is getting way to forward IMO.
and out of context.

yankmod

Reaction score
I was going to mention the Quadrophenia booklet(from the LP) as well(in reference to Mods wearing sneakers) But I thought I would be shot down.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
Sirryacus. You are right they were wrestling boots,the king of British skinheads Mick Mcmanus wore them in the ring,Mick died recently aged 93,he was planning a comeback but it didnt work out,we are thinking of a memorial "do" for Mick,would you be interested in attending ?
In fear of veering further off topic I will just say I don't live in England and I probably wouldn't attend anyway if I did because I would feel rather out of place, seems he was quite a small guy for a wrestler It would have been quite the surprise if you messed with him without knowing who he was.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
In fear of veering further off topic I will just say I don't live in England and I probably wouldn't attend anyway if I did because I would feel rather out of place, seems he was quite a small guy for a wrestler It would have been quite the surprise if you messed with him without knowing who he was.
In the mid 70s I trained with the wrestler and weightlifter Johnny Yearsley at his gym in Sidcup. I met Mick McManus there on one occasion and was surprised how small he was. He always looked much bigger on TV. He was on a chat show last year and looked remarkable considering he was in his 90s and with the same black hairstyle

BillyWhizz

Reaction score
Billy Whizz,If they had a name i cant remember it or didnt know it,sorry.If you are interested in fashion,music and football in Bristol in those days there is a book called Bovver by Chris Brown ( he posts here as Pressure_Drop ).When were you in Bristol last ? its changed a lot i n the last 10 years,loads of pubs gone,new shopping centre,the harbour side is ok but for me all the interesting old places are gone.

Hi Cernabbas, I left Bristol in 1973. I have both of Chris's books and related quite a bit to the things he writes about. I went back once in about '80 and it had changed a lot even then. Haven't been back since and have been out of the UK since '83.

Basset

Reaction score
No ,this thread is getting way to forward IMO.
and out of context.

Tbh, i agree, i've found this thread a superb place for discussion and detail, im no original so most of my posts are off the back of what others throw up, and are memorys of my childhood and seeing what was going on around me.

The early period that has been discussed recently has been great, but i would like to see peoples thoughts recollections of some of the later stuff 71/72 ?,longer hair, patterns, beagles, ruperts etc, but folks just seem to say it was rubbish and it gets passed over.

My first memorys of the whole skinhead style relate to my aunty she's sixty now and went thru the styles, she used to babysit for me and r kid, take us out and generaly spoil us.
Whilst my memorys are a bit vague and probably jumbled up i remember her having a feathercut, loads of forehead showing, this gradually got longer, short gingham dresses, three quarter length jackets, tights with patterns up the side mustard yellow, sky blue etc, shoes with flared heels, basketweave, big brass eyelets etc.
I remember going with her, dad and gramps to purchase her 1st car, Ford Anglia, and getting a lift back home and playing with the chrome quarter light catch.

I thought she was cool, she dressed different to me mum and other aunty, that pic i posted up a few days ago of me with an attempted Rod hairdo is me at her wedding 75 i think.

Apologies if i've rambled on a bit, and no offence but discussing trainers aint for me.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the trainer / shorts posts of the last couple of days have been great and i would like to say cheers to buttons for starting it all !

Gsvs5

Reaction score

The early period that has been discussed recently has been great, but i would like to see peoples thoughts recollections of some of the later stuff 71/72 ?,longer hair, patterns, beagles, ruperts etc, but folks just seem to say it was rubbish and it gets passed over.

In '71 I thought it interesting to see cotton jersey knit,long sleeve penny collar shirts for men with floral print.These were fairly fitted and seemed quite feminine to me initially.yhe prints were usually in just a single colour,red or blue and were small repetative.
This seemed like a big departure from everything we had been wearing for the previous few years and the safety of solid,stripes and checks.i also recall getting a broad seersucker fabric shirt around the same period that I thought was the dogs bollocks.i had never seen a men's shirt in such a fabric before.Cords were taking over more and more,with the denim less prized.Oasis in the Birmingham Bull Ring had some very unique stalls at this time and it started to seem like you could begin to wear whatever you liked without having the piss taken.your mates might give a sideways glance,but were hesitant to be too critical as they might be buying the same next week.i think it was '72 that a velvet or maybe cord bomber replaced the Harrington?Very quickly followed by the Budgie.stack heel shoes(that looked like plywood ) Raised you up an inch and opened the way to platforms.this is the very end of the suede era and there was no going back now.

Basset

Reaction score
In '71 I thought it interesting to see cotton jersey knit,long sleeve penny collar shirts for men with floral print.These were fairly fitted and seemed quite feminine to me initially.yhe prints were usually in just a single colour,red or blue and were small repetative.
This seemed like a big departure from everything we had been wearing for the previous few years and the safety of solid,stripes and checks.i also recall getting a broad seersucker fabric shirt around the same period that I thought was the dogs bollocks.i had never seen a men's shirt in such a fabric before.Cords were taking over more and more,with the denim less prized.Oasis in the Birmingham Bull Ring had some very unique stalls at this time and it started to seem like you could begin to wear whatever you liked without having the piss taken.your mates might give a sideways glance,but were hesitant to be too critical as they might be buying the same next week.i think it was '72 that a velvet or maybe cord bomber replaced the Harrington?Very quickly followed by the Budgie.stack heel shoes(that looked like plywood ) Raised you up an inch and opened the way to platforms.this is the very end of the suede era and there was no going back now.
Enjoyed reading that, some great detail regarding the speed at which style and the attitude of those wearing it can change.
Can you recall what you called the shoes with the plywood looking soles?

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Stacks.

It was just the heel part really.just left natural colour.Common enough later on,but very new at the time.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
In the mid 70s I trained with the wrestler and weightlifter Johnny Yearsley at his gym in Sidcup. I met Mick McManus there on one occasion and was surprised how small he was. He always looked much bigger on TV. He was on a chat show last year and looked remarkable considering he was in his 90s and with the same black hairstyle
someone on another forum claims Yearsley died in 1980 so it wasn't that long after you trained with him if its true, do you know anything about that?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trainers are within the remits of this thread because Mods wore them,stacked heel shoes and associated clothes were after suedehead so are outside the thread maybe there should be another thread for that kind of stuff ?.

yankmod

Reaction score
I think the shirt looks good.Just curious why your having these shirts made.Is there nothing on the market you could buy that would be comparable? You mentioned a 1965 version.Is that something you can't get today? Just looking for details.
Final Prototype before production. Any thoughts, comments, criticisms are appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads