1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bunty

bunty Senior member

Sorry Inks, no more info. I'm afraid.

2. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

(The Infamous) Willesden folk, 1969 indeed, it was posted here some time ago.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  3. Inks

Inks Senior member

Just double-checked on street-maps Bunty. It's definitely the corner of Lonsdale Rd and Portobello Rd W11. Being a West Londoner, I know the Ladbroke Grove area quite well. When I was a nipper, the 'Grove Skins were much feared. Those kids in the photos were pre-teens, and even they looked 'handy'. Imagine how the older lads seemed to us out in Acton and Southall. Nowadays the 'Grove area is gentrified, and classed as North Kensington. When I was a young-un, there was nothing 'Kensington' about round there. It was 'double-hard-bastard' territory, with a few bohemian hippy-squatter-types about. Oh how times change

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Outside the White Horse, Church Rd Willesden, Not the smartest of crews...:)

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yes great find Bunty, Inks could be the estate, Westborne Grove, Portobello Rd, or Lonsdale,Cant make out the Block name behind the lads, otherwise could confirm.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That is a brilliant Photo Bunty.The Boots are as I remembered them.....:)

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yeah, that's Willesden, the well-know suburb of Cork! :D

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Agree with Inks on that one.Quite a few were sported-a lot of the times faded,as if done some time before(or it might have been the ink used then).

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D:D:D

10. Man-of-Mystery

It also answers the question about braces worn over FPs.

11. Man-of-Mystery

British Pathe News item about a 1960s scooter rally.

I remember meeting members of the Bromley Innocents Scooter Club, but actually before I moved down to S E London. They had come up to Blackpool ('67? '68?) for a Scooter event at Stanley Park, I think. They were not actually anti-mod as such, but all rode box-standard Lambrettas, all wore helmets, and all wore Belstaff jackets. I cadged a short lift off one of them - he was a bit reluctant because I didn't have a helmet, but didn't refuse, and didn't mind that I was wearing a parka.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

If I was placing a wild outside bet,from the state of his hands,tattoos and general demeanor,I wouldst he was a pikey Fairground worker,relaxing after a morning greasing the Waltzers.

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

These photos reflect my memories of the time and somewhat contradict that "you had to be Fighting in the pubs" to be considered a Skinhead in '69 as has been said by Roy previously.As he also stated....it was the fashion.some of the oldest contributors on here have commented about younger kids catching ontoi it just before its demise,but there were plenty of kids sporting the look (without shaved heads) who only saw the inside of a Smoke Room with their Mum and Dad,earlier on.

14. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

off Topic,but as inks ,Brownie and Roy have been commenting on various areas of London I thought some might enjoy this link:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/

I love London and spent years walking the streets when I lived there.History and fond memories everywhere.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Let me guess M-o-M,white with a peak Helmets.Hated those bloody things- for Joe Public only.:)

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Good to see Gsvs,especially about the old Markets.Remember walking through Convent Garden each morning,whilst the Market was on.Went to Spitalfields Market and got a Job(but never started there).My Wife`s Uncle had an Egg Stall in Hoxton Market,her Parents ran a Fruit and Veg.Stall in Ridley Road.Another Uncle had a Stall in Leather Lane.I went with my Dad to Smithfield and Billingsgate-he was a Butcher and a Fishmonger combined .Happy days all round. :)

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I remember the smell of cabbages from Covent Garden as I walked up the street before I had set eyes on the Market Hall on one of my early visits to London.Sundays were regularly spent over in Brick Lane early in the morning ,over to Camden in the afternoon and finish off at Marine Ices.!
    I had a stall myself in Portobello for a while,and I worked on the street when I came to the US for the first couple of years.They are the first places I seek out when I travel to a new City/Country
    .i suppose markets are in your blood.

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes you are right.Interesting about Portebello Road,back in the early 70s,used to pick up Rubbish and then sell the good stuff to the Stallholders(did this when I had days off or "between" Jobs).It was interesting to go down and see the mark-up on these "Antiques".We were happy,we got our wedge-and the Goods cost nothing to us anyway.

Second Market story involves a Family member of my Wife`s down Columbia Road.Back in the 60s he ran a Furniture Making Shop.Unremarkable you would say!He was a Dear Mute.Now I have had problems with my Hearing right through from Childhood.In the 50s and 60s you were considered stupid or lazy(by Peoples` attitude).To a certain extent that still prevails today.Anyway this Man had double the disability and still made a living then-these are the People I take my hat off to.:)

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

That should read Deaf-yep I am going blind as well.

20. Man-of-Mystery

Regular 'jet' style, as I recall.