1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Yes Sirryacus.Forgot you was up north and not L.A. but like you say it was Cali Car and Burger Joint Culture.

2. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Happy - yes very happy but only because i didnt know we were poor .

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Once America abolished the 1924 immigration act, and brought in the 1965 immigration act, inspired by Kennedy in the early 60s and enacted in 68. The USA of American Graffiti and the Beach Boys/ John Wayne was gone forever.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

Hello, maybe you could provide me a good advice here. I bought new cherry DM 1490 a I managed to scratch them. This scratch is black and it looks weird on totally new boots. I have burgundy and oxblood kiwi polishes and I cannot mask the scratch at all, still fully visible regardless how mush I polish I use. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

5. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Indeed and that was a good thing.Otherwise my Dad may have not got in and it brought more Asians which I appreciate (Chinatown NYC is the safest neighborhood in the city.The Chinese mob don't let nothin happen in that hood.Little Italy across the Bowery is the same.)

6. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

And the lack of dinner, helped you squeeze into them too I bet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Inks

Inks Senior member

I know it's ten years after (not the smelly band, the time-frame), but The Specials concert ; 'Rock Goes To College' from '79 has some pre-teen Skins suited and booted in it. Right at the very end of the concert, when the band have lads from the audience up on stage with them, there is a natty young fella up there, skanking away. He's wearing a 3-button whistle, neatly furled-hankie in his top-pocket. He can't be more than 12.
    I don't know about '69, but by '79 there were some young-uns clewed-up about clobber. I was 10/11 in '79. I was well too preoccupied with cloth already. So, I'm guessing, there were similarly-aged kids that were just as well turned-out around in '69.
    They may have been an anomaly, but they were there. Lads that hung around with older lads. Savvy lads with older siblings, with pukka hand-me-downs.
    I didn't have an older brother myself though.
    I remember when the Hammers won The Cup in 1980. Alan Devonshire was a Southall lad, so just after the win, the FA Cup was brought down to the Southall FC ground (when it was still in Southall) in Western Rd.
    That same night, myself, my Ma and my Da had been down to the Grand Junction boozer. On our way back to South Rd, we came across a phalanx of West Ham Skins loitering in King Street. I had on a pair of blue/gold Tonik strides, Frank Wright two-tassels, a black Harrington (with a few button badges) and claret and blue scarf.
    As we walked passed those lads, some were having a bit of a chuckle at my expense. One of the bigger lads commented, "That's a proper little chap."
    I was 11, I didn't come that much more than an inch past me old man's waist.
    I felt 10ft tall that night though.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

That just makes ya smile! Nice memory.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Used to love watching "Dev" play,a true magician down either wing.Pity we have no one of his ilk now.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Those places are called "No Go Areas" over here-the Police go nowhere near them :)

11. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I'm not exactly a fan of immigrant populations trying to live outside the law of the country, we have areas like that here as well the police feel if you wanna attack us and claim police brutality ever-time we come there why should we come back, I think what Lasttye is saying is those policies forever changed the fabric of the country for better or worse and that can't be denied, I'm not really gonna delve into that political side of things too much, I'll just say I've saw too much cheating of the system going on firsthand green lighted on the inside by activists and that it makes me sick.

12. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I agree with going too Political .I have only to look at Tower Hamlets to see what has gone wrong.

1 person likes this.
  14. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Sorry folks.Didn't mean to stray.Changes.Isn't that what we are are mostly Talkin here.Lets be honest immigration and all dat is only one change.Lets not forget that pesky Tv and all its mesmerizing offspring.The distractions of accelerated modernity which among the Mods was supremely celebrated,the beginning of Club Culture and DJ's.Men spinning records for dancing instead of Dance Bands.Every kid no matter what station could buy Elitism.

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Cash speaks Loudly.

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Basically,that is what my original Post about London,was about.To think that from small Clubs and Coffee Bars(around Soho).I can only speak about London at this time.A whole new way of life started up.The biggest kick you could get,before the Teds came along,was spend the Weekends doing what your Parents did-dressing the same way etc.To a 16/17 year old getting ready to go "UpWest" was exciting.Meeting up with your Friends(or go solo like I did sometimes)and spending time enjoying yourselves.There was plenty going on.Whatever you wanted was there-you just looked for it.I am proud to be part of that.The only thing that gets me are,no Plaques that commerate what we did/where we went-only to some obscure Geezer who died 300 years ago. :)

17. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

theres a plaque up on old compton st where the 21's coffee bar originally was .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_2i's_Coffee_Bar

18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Brilliant FF.I have heard of it,but I never knew the history of the place.Wally Whyton was one of the resident Bands?
    That just triggered a long forgotten "Lift Off with Ayshea" memory……….
    I wonder how many years the "Pollo" has got left in it?

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

To think that the number of Clubs,Coffee Bars etc that were about.I think that is a dismal showing.:)

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I had a met up today with an older cousin. We had a talk about the Drugstore lot. He was a kind of Rocker in his youth, and didn't like them too much. He told me that in the time they did not call them "Minets". People called them... Mods !

[​IMG]
    Originals from the Champs Elysées Drugstore, mid-sixties, members of the so called "Drugstore gang". Sharp dressers.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.