• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

bunty

Reaction score

With regard to regional differences - all of the following were reputed to have been skinhead wear but I don't recall any being worn near us. Where they popular elsewhere?

Collarless 'Union' shirts
Grandad vests
Army Greens
Donkey Jackets
Thick woolie cardigans (you know, the type your Dad might have worn)

'Trilbies' - in various styles - only very rarely worn. ( as previously mentioned, I saw lots more berets than trilbies)

I remember we were all scathing about the photo on the front of the novel "Skinhead" - style less shirt and scruffy boots - would never have stepped out of the house looking like that!

Just outside North London -

Collarless 'Union' shirts - No.

Grandad vests -No.

Army Greens - Yes, twice - '68 ish and again later '71.

Donkey Jackets - Yes, briefly '68. As said, work-wear that was a fad on the terraces.

Thick cardies - No, only the 'thin' ones. Worn right through the '60s, from the earlier Mod days onwards. As were V-neck jumpers/knitted long sleeved polo shirts.

Trilbies - Yes, 'casually' with jeans etc. Pork pies were worn earlier.

A local quirk - Levis were always worn high but without turn ups* Turn ups were adopted later on.

*Another Mod leftover, as was the nonchalant use of 'bennies' at weekends :D

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't know that,but it led me to reading about it on soul source,which in turn led me to this post on there: "Did you ever go into a All- night club called the La Duce? it was a all night coffee bar that you paid 5/- to get in, only to find a juke bow 3 brasses and Soho night birds, We went in one night and there were 4 flash skinheads in there, the juke box had great records on it BANG BANG LULU WET DREAM, Any way there was about 6 of us, one bloke told me he was from Kilburn, i asked him if he knew 3 fFriendsmine who were in the Wilsdon whites? he said no and he was a member of the HENDON mafia, a small firm, he said his name was Paddy O Brian, Well thats fits in with Kilburn but not with Hendon, any way after half an hour the youngest bloke with us Paul got upset because one of them started to chat him up, he was only 16, and this was 1969, it turned out that ttheLa Duce was a GAY hangout, a fight broke out and could these bloke fight as people were leaving i had to fight on me bike going up stairs, then this O Brian got a cut throat out and swiped it at my boat, i put my arm up and ssteppedhim cutting m, when i got out on the street the razor had cut through my sheepskin, suit jacket sleeve and striped me on my right arm? just one of me SOHO adadventuresowever, O Brian and his mate, are in some skinhead fanzines that come out in the OI! PERIOD AND THTHE PICTURESRE ICONIC, i will dig them out as there is a twist to my tale?? However i raised that incident as it included the same people in this news paper article from 69.this should bring a smile to CHICHIEFYas there are a couple of BLETSOE boys in the article??
g.gif
by the way if you aain'tspent a night in WEST END CENTRAL you have not lived " " So much for the friendliness and cameraderie of the Soul scene eh!
I was a member of the Kilburn...and have wrote a fair bit about our mob and our mates in the Hendon mob on here...cant remember a Paddy O Brian ...Yes Hendon was a small mob most of them lived on or around Sturgess avenue. We became mates with the Hendon after they approached us for help against the Burnt Oak.. The Kilburn and Hendon piled up to Watling Ave in Burnt Oak and rioted... 36 of our lot got nicked and it was all over the National news.. they also did a large article about NW London Gangs and the press gave us all Gang names..hence Kilburn Aggro Mob, Hendon Mafia, Burnt Oak Mob and The Willesden Whites..all these names was never used by us....Regarding the Willesden...I went to school with most of them...in fact one of the main lads daughter came on this thread asking about her late Dad ...and a photo from here was dug out for her. Regarding the West End none of us ever ventured down there well not in 69 thats for sure....maybe the blokes you met was older lads? who strayed down there,:)

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was a member of the Kilburn...and have wrote a fair bit about our mob and our mates in the Hendon mob on here...cant remember a Paddy O Brian ...Yes Hendon was a small mob most of them lived on or around Sturgess avenue. We became mates with the Hendon after they approached us for help against the Burnt Oak.. The Kilburn and Hendon piled up to Watling Ave in Burnt Oak and rioted... 36 of our lot got nicked and it was all over the National news.. they also did a large article about NW London Gangs and the press gave us all Gang names..hence Kilburn Aggro Mob, Hendon Mafia, Burnt Oak Mob and The Willesden Whites..all these names was never used by us....Regarding the Willesden...I went to school with most of them...in fact one of the main lads daughter came on this thread asking about her late Dad ...and a photo from here was dug out for her.
Regarding the West End none of us ever ventured down there well not in 69 thats for sure....maybe the blokes you met was older lads? who strayed down there,:)

Just to add Their was two brothers in the Hendon Pat and Dave ..Pat was older. Their name was not O Brian....Both was very well known in the Hendon.

Their was other little gangs that hung around with us Kilburn and Hendon...Lads from Cricklewood, Swiss Cottage, Wembley, Maida Vale.... plus I had mates from Bermondsey and New Cross that came over to our manor..even a little mob from Wolverhampton. that we met through going to football with Chelsea.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Roy, just to clarify - That post had nothing to do with me.it was by another bloke from another forum (soul source)I posted it because I know bit of your history with Kilburn,and thought it would be of interest to you.The bloke also openly admits to being a serious drug user/dealer back then,so take from that what you will.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I was at a soul nigh a couple of months ago and some guy made the effort to walk up to me and said 'we never had those' and Jabbed me in the cheek (referring to the sideburns) 'that was a rocker thing' and he sounded a bit annoyed. I said that hundreds would dissagree with him there, and also that photos would show otherwise.

Even the birds had them McDermott...Market Harborough 1968-9

yankmod

Reaction score
Lasttye.Great recollection.Great info for the book.As a songwriter,I love the place names.Swiss Cottage I hadn't heard.........Gsvs5 "Even the birds had them" Classic man.TA

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ill blow smoke up his jacksy and say the pic of MOM in the sheepskin , Sta prest n Boots is THE best pic on the whole site .. my 12 yr old self would have followed him up and down the street just to find out what after shave he was rockin 

Thank you for the compliment, but no way - it's not a book about me.

I learned a long time ago not to be a flash git. :)

roytonboy

Reaction score
Agree Ed, a bit surprising but Dublin Blues connection goes back to early 70s.

The scarf was certainly around in 69; I got one for Christmas that year. Still have it in the loft - well, its replacement after I was "relieved" of it in early 70. I'll try to post that story later.

The City scarf came in originally in season 1967-68, when City adopted the maroon tops to the socks. Very cutting edge at the time as very few clubs had 3 colours in their scarves - Leeds and, oddly, Oldham Athletic were the only 2 others I know of. Most other fans still had the old blue and white or red and white. Yet another reason why supporting City was the hieght of style at the time! Funnily enough the 'traditional' scarves have made a big comeback nationwide in the last three years. I wonder why......... Oh, yes, Roberto Mancini........ so some things never change......

Last edited:

roytonboy

Reaction score
I must do better-regularly.

Not seen too often in the original Photos but much more in the 70 Skinhead ones-woollen Skullcaps,that sat on the back of the head-with 1/2 inch roll back.I think I have seen a Picture on here-but where????
smile.gif

I had one (in red and black) in season 1971/72. I wore it with my crombie - very suedehead. It was very small and worn on the back of the head like a scull-cap. Some Jewish lads at City wore tiny ones held in place with a hair grip!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, just to clarify - That post had nothing to do with me.it was by another bloke from another forum (soul source)I posted it because I know bit of your history with Kilburn,and thought it would be of interest to you.The bloke also openly admits to being a serious drug user/dealer back then,so take from that what you will.

Gsvs5 Thanks for clarifying that.... My fault as i read it wrong..also i did think you being Twelve in 69 hanging around West End night clubs was a bit wacky....we never went down the place full of hippies and druggies...the West End back then was a decadent seedy place.:)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads