1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

Believe it or not, but frames like those are fetching a fair few quid at places like retrospectacles.

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I like the cut of the frogs mouth tweed suit trousers.
    There used to be a well established shop in New York called All American Boy that closed down about 15 yrs ago.It was in the West Village,an historically gay area.I ,and many others (straight & gay) who were working on the Cunard ships in the mid 70's used to head there when we docked in New York to buy jeans ("Reminiscence" Duck Canvas painters jeans were popular at that time)
    This widow looks exactly the same, with the same assortment and brands.Nostalgic,copied by everyone from J.Simons in London to Al Bazar in Milan and perfected by RL.
    The only place that i've seen that has continued with this style and yet looks new and fresh ,is Sid Mashburn in Atlanta.
    http://www.sidmashburn.com

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ah, but not when I'd finished stuffing them in pockets and hiding the buggers, they wouldn't. :happy:

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks Inks,the idea for colouring the yellow stitching came from Clouseau on one of the previous posts on monkey boots,i wear them as an alternative to trainers too.
    What I don't understand is why Grafters don't make brown ones and why they make the wine coloured ones as no one seems to like them.

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I like the Italian suede loafers in Sid Mashburn.

I suppose the enduring appeal of JS for many is that it seems unchanging and does not look 'new and fresh'. I have found since I first darkened his doors in 1969 that at times what he is proposing is exactly what I want, but at others it all seems too familiar and too dull. To some extent my feeling will be influenced by the prevailing men's style and whether I want to incorporate many Ivy-influenced pieces that particular season. And yes, on many occasions I am seeking something that looks new and fresh. I had never heard of Sid Mashburn - thanks for sharing.

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I knew that someone would say it.....my answer is that my boots are a size 10 and they make them up to a 12 some "birds" !

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Mr Knightley, I am quite surprised that you would be keen on Monkey boots ! although as I have said many times before you either love them or loathe them.
    I wear mine with green cargo trousers ( M and S of course,and £14 in the sale at the moment ) and a Harrington,i am now looking for a decent brown Harrington.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

retrospectacles is worth a look for vintage frames and vintage sunglasses,seen some nice Zeiss ones and some Rodenstock there.

9. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Ha ha! I did steer towards the softer Ivy-inspired look as you know, but still liked many of what might be called the more basic elements. But even then, I think I had an emerging idea of the difference between that which I liked and that which actually suited me, so never did indulge.....

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I feel like that sometimes,i want to find an alternative to the old familiar items,but the new item still has to fit in with the older items.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,i have liked certain items over the years only to realise that they don't suit me,usually after I have gone to a lot of trouble sourcing them or paying a lot of money ( for me )and then wearing them a few times...that's why I am pleased with the brown Monkey boots I suppose and the Bexley longwings that I bought,better that something cheap looks good than something expensive doesn't...

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

sorry double post

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Like many of the better retailers/designers,he's an ex Ralph Lauren guy.Pretty well known among the Ivy/Prep legions due to his obvious leanings

The Italian loafers are made by Peluso I believe.I have been pondering those myself.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I remember when John Simons` Window Display had a "Punch".I would look in the Ivy Shop(Richmond) for hours,just admiring the Shirts etc Now,something has been lost.

15. Inks

Inks Senior member

[​IMG]
    My trusty 19 year old Sebagos I bought in NYC in 1994. I've been married in them twice (so far). The right one is a bit creased. I could try deer-boning it, but I'm sure that only works on Cordovan leather.
    [​IMG]
    Nice collar roll on the Omega gents BDs

16. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Id bet the whole collection in the Ivy was 1960's Ivy - brand spanking new in amazing pastel colours .. that window just looks like old blokes clobber ( i like most of it myself but then im a old bloke not a 16 year old looking in at brand new treasure )

17. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

come on now the pendletons are for everyone.

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Spent most of my life in Kingswood, mainly around Two Mile Hill. I'm originally born in Kendal, Cumbria, but my father decided to move family to Brstol in about1972.

So where was my summer holiday this year.... BRISTOL!!! ...via Hohhot, Beijing, Zhengzhou, Pindingshan, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.....Lot's of planes and trains...same again next year.

19. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Doug Niedermeyer strikes again. Say what you like about the wee gobshite, but he was sharp in his civvies.

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Haha....that looks like our school regulation haircut notice. Yes the school I teach at actually has haircut regulations. I'll post a pic.