1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

The collar turned up on a polo shirt is something that I don't like and I would add... tying a jumper around shoulders, dangling sunglasses between polo shirt buttons ( especially in January ), tucking cigarette packet into turned up polo shirt sleeve,girls wearing sunglasses permanently on top of their head all night....

2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Well-Known Member

Those jeans look to be Tellason?i have not tried them on as I have been very satisfied with the Edwin cuts I have.However they are one of the few companies that do jeans with a high front rise.If you can find the "Ankara" model in 16 oz raw denim,then they may be worth a look?They should be similar to the early Levis we used to wear.

3. cerneabbas

I have just looked up Tellason and as you say the Ankara model looks nice,the site I saw them on said 14.75 oz ?...I would like to see some
    as I am finding the denim thing very complicated after years of not wearing jeans....in fact I am thinking that I may be like Mr Knightley with monkey boots,i like the idea but not the reality.

4. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

Its nothing like Simons mate - its far better in my opinion . Ive brought loads of stuff online and in person when i went up to Manc to see chelsea ion the cup last year . New US and Jap labels plus some quality heritage ones .

5. flyfronted

flyfronted Well-Known Member

Even the Italian casuals / hooligans dress better than there UK counterparts ..

6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

With regard to semi-brogues, cerneabbas I really can't say. There is perhaps one thing that comes to mind though. Semi or half brogues are normally found in a Balmoral / Oxford style and this type of shoe was not at all popular in the late 60s / early 70s. It was seen as too stuffy in fashionable circles. My Diplomats, which I think look great with POW trousers just wouldn't have looked right in 1969. Our Italian and US inspired shoes then were all Derby style.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. Mr Knightley

Me too online - although I have still to make it to the actual shop....It's certainly an eclectic mix of goodies.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

I never stopped wearing jeans. For a very long time (since my skinhead years in the beginning of the eighties), i only wore 501. Then, a dozen years ago, i got fed up with Levi's. So i tried different brands (and cuts), cheap ones like Uniqlo, expensive ones like Paul Smith. But finally, i went back to the classics: Levi's 501, and Lee Riders, which are my favorites: they have a regular rise, rather high, i feel confortable in them, and they've got the look (IMO). But both are a minefield, because it depends a lot of where they're made (best Japan and USA), of the quality, the color, if they are natural indigo or not, selvedge or not, etc...
    I like Jeans cos they're basics, classics you can wear with a lot of different items, from a casual look to a more elaborate one.

LVC (i don't own any of them, cos they're too expensive imho) recently did a pair of jeans (not 501) supposed close to a Big E sixties model, maybe the Originals could tell us what they think about it ?. It's called "Levi's vintage orange tab 606 jeans".

9. Mr Knightley

I just wanted to say I have been watching the 'Pitti Uomo' discussion over the weekend with interest and enjoyed it very much. Challenging stuff IMO.

10. cerneabbas

I think that you are right,much more stylish.

11. cerneabbas

Thank you for answering...I guessed that that was the reason,i was recently looking at half brogues and I thought wouldn't it be great if there was a derby/blucher type half brogue and I found several..Allen Edmonds..Sanford,Lexington and Colton...Alden have one ( don't know the name) and Cheaney Tenterden ( maybe too country) .
    I wonder if shoes like the Allen Edmonds ones had been available would they would have become popular ? they are certainly versatile IMO could be worn with a suit or jeans.

12. cerneabbas

I totally agree,however does the discussion belong on this thread ?...I fear that a lot of people on here will not be at all interested.
    Also when I googled Pitti Uomo I found a lot of images that I really didn't like the look of,i don't like the "layering" or IMO over accessorising,i want a much simpler look.

13. cerneabbas

I gave up wearing jeans at about 40 (maybe a year or two before)..I had my first pair of Levis in 69/70 when i was 11 or 12.
    Truthfully I was never that impressed with Levis,they seemed to be saggy in the ass IMO.
    I went on to Wranglers for a few years and then Lee which were my favourites.
    There seems to be too much choice now,i know that sounds crazy but years ago with less too choose from it seemed simpler.

14. Clouseau

It's true it's difficult with too much choice. that's why i stick to the "historical" brands : Levi, Lee, and Wrangler.
    i'm not that impressed with Wranglers. I've got one pair, rather comfy, but i don't like too much the leather patch on the pocket. And i think the quality of Levi and Lee is better. Once again, matter of personal taste.
    On the subject of shape/type of brogues, i like best "english brogues" type, like Church's Burwood for example.

15. cerneabbas

I cannot argue with the quality of the Wranglers that my girlfriend bought me,only the comfort.
    Churchs Burwood is a nice shaped English brogue,but of the oxford /balmoral type which as Mr Knightley says is seen as very formal,a derby/blucher type ( like the Loake Royal for instance ) is less formal and so could be worn with jeans or trousers.
    BTW,i always used to cut the leather patches off of the Wranglers and the Lee jeans,i thought that they looked crap and they got hard after washing the jeans.

16. Clouseau

I used (don't do it anymore) to wear my Burwoods with jeans, and believe it or not, it didn't looked bad... But i agree the derby type is less formal, but chunkier IMO.
    Thought of cutting the leather patch of my Wrangler, but didn't do it yet...

17. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

Saw some John Whites` Semi Brogues in TK Maxx.A slightly slimmer Toe than yours Mr.Knightley,but at £70 a pair(for all Leather Shoes)not a bad proposition. I visited Debenhams` Men Section in Lakeside,and,their Brand of Clothing is leaning towards "American Ivy".Unstructured Sports Blazers(Herringbone) at £90 a throw.The only thing I did not like on it was Corduroy Arm Patches-but these could be easily changed.Baggy Chinos which I have always liked(in various Colours)and their version of a Harrington-not to my taste though.Colourful Jumpers and Polo Shirts also.:)

18. cerneabbas

Yes those Churchs Grafton that Botolph bought are much chunkier..a nice heavy brogue.
    Do you like the "Milanese" look that has been shown ? I was thinking that a pair of nice brogues,plain coloured wool flat front trousers, a John Smedley cotton long sleeve shirt and a Crombie would look much simpler,as smart and keep more in the tradition of our look ?

19. Clouseau

Totally agree with you Cerneabbas. The "Milanese look" guys are stylish, but it's not my style either. i think their look goes with the Italy sun and the Italian way of life. I like Italy very much, and it's one of the place in Europe where i prefer to go (with UK). But it's not my style of clothing. Already said, i'm quite a classical type. When i was a skinhead for example, i never wore checked shirts (sorry folks). Always plain white BD, with black braces, black or dark blue crombie, and Black DM or brogues... Dark jeans, white sta-prest, or black and grey pinstripe trousers... Well, i'm more "coloured" now, but i could not dress like those mafia guys [​IMG]...

20. cerneabbas

Yes, I think that its good to be able to look at a style and say that's great but not for me..i think that my ideal look is a bit less colourful...well maybe one item of clothing that is colourful...I think of the cover of the book Suedehead as the starting point and then "modernise" it...I am talking for a smarter look now not the dressed down monkey boots/jeans/Harrington look.
    I had never heard of John Smedley before I found this thread but I had worn similar shirts by Hugo Boss for a while,with POW or hounds tooth check trousers and oxford semi brogues or Loake Kempton boots..
    I do agree with a lot of what Gsvs5 said about freshening the look up,but IMO the Milanese look is getting too far away from our look some how ? I do think it makes a good talking point though.