• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember wearing the shirt outside the trousers/jeans, But i think it coincided which giving up wearing braces, Summer of 70, it was a hot summer and Mungo Jerry was singing In The Summer Time.
So I guess wearing the shirt outside was a good idea,:)

Last edited:

billynomates

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Love the forum, hope I haven't jumped in out of turn so to speak...

I have just celebrated my 60th and thought you might be interested in these photos , they are of my brother (with sideburns), his girlfriend and me circa 69/70 (a little bit later as our hair was longer)
We basically hung around the Plaza in Guildford from around '67 but my brother being that much older was also a mod and hung around the Blue Moon, Big C etc he was also a 'Cannon Boy' as mentioned previously on here (haven't read it all yet), I remember getting the sack from my apprenticeship at a well know 'shop' in Guildford for being a skinhead (grow your hair or get out).

Memory not what it was but loved those days and still listen to the same old stuff and have 'Royals', Levi's, Fred Perry, Brutus and Harrington etc in the wardrobe.

Great Days

900x900px-LL-b0da942f_classic01a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-7e552354_classic02a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-160350b6_classic03a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-ef319268_classic04a.jpeg

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of the above Programme Clips have appeared on here,about 2 weeks ago.I know I made comments about them at the time.They are not bad,but, there are quite a few mistakes-made by People who were not there!!!

I have enjoyed looking at the "Mods And Caravans" Section,Bunty.For me,and my Parents,the Camps were too regimental and samey with their Entertainment.Once you were on,it was hard to get out(they had Security Guards on the Gates.Not to keep intruders out,but to keep you in :))On the Caravan Sites you could take Scooters etc.,and go where you pleased.The one Site I went to,in `67 was Selsey Bill.They had an over 18s Club called the "Quarterdeck".Here they played Soul,Ska etc.It was here I met Roy(from Warren Street)who I got to know well and showed me the proper Shops to go and get the "Conservative Mod" Look.

I can remember the Girls with their Shirts out,but I cannot remember me wearing them like that.Have to consult my Sister.

In `71 I had Shirts like Stewarts`.Made me smile when he nearly clumped "Plonk" around the Head-with the Microphone Stand.The Ruperts I had were Green Checked.Much more Stylish :)

Gramps

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Billy.

Thanks for the background and pics, look forward to hearing more from you.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys
Love the forum, hope I haven't jumped in out of turn so to speak...

I have just celebrated my 60th and thought you might be interested in these photos , they are of my brother (with sideburns), his girlfriend and me circa 69/70 (a little bit later as our hair was longer)
We basically hung around the Plaza in Guildford from around '67 but my brother being that much older was also a mod and hung around the Blue Moon, Big C etc he was also a 'Cannon Boy' as mentioned previously on here (haven't read it all yet), I remember getting the sack from my apprenticeship at a well know 'shop' in Guildford for being a skinhead (grow your hair or get out).

Memory not what it was but loved those days and still listen to the same old stuff and have 'Royals', Levi's, Fred Perry, Brutus and Harrington etc in the wardrobe.

Great Days

900x900px-LL-b0da942f_classic01a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-7e552354_classic02a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-160350b6_classic03a.jpeg

900x900px-LL-ef319268_classic04a.jpeg

Interesting Billy.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just revisiting that Don Letts clip...

03:16 - Nice shades!

03:57 - Nice v-neck!

08:58 - *sings: "He's here, he's there, he's every bloody where... " :D

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Margate -1970 x 2 (Copyright - Topfoto)
Margate70new.jpg

Sorry, can't lose the watermark.

That's a Leyland Atlantean, not seen one of them in a while. I preferred Bristol VRs though with ECW bodywork.

Sidney Scott

Reaction score
That's a Leyland Atlantean, not seen one of them in a while. I preferred Bristol VRs though with ECW bodywork.
Someone else who works on the buses I see. It may be a Daimler Fleetline but either way, I much preferred the semi automatic transmission they had back then, much better than these automatics on the road now.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just revisiting that Don Letts clip...

03:16 - Nice shades!
03:57 - Nice v-neck!
08:58 - *sings: "He's here, he's there, he's every bloody where... " :D

Was going to bring this up before-but do not remember too many Fellas wearing Polo Neck Jumpers under a Shirt - 3.01(complete with a Sheepskin).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone else who works on the buses I see. It may be a Daimler Fleetline but either way, I much preferred the semi automatic transmission they had back then, much better than these automatics on the road now.

Yeh, Bristol Omnibus in early 80s, Muller Road depot. Was mostly VRs, with a few Lodekka FLFs they still used. The buses where I am now are all manual and not very well maintained,...crunch,..grind,..stall

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was early `70 and we were lying low.There had been a fight,a month before,and a larger, rival, Mob had three Mates badly beaten-2 in Hospital etc.We had not been anywhere near it,but we were getting the blame.We decided to a/ Find out actual did it,b/ Get sufficient numbers together.Whilst this ws going on,we decided to dabble in Black Magic (Seances etc.).
A Mate of mine had played the new "Black Sabbath"Album to me and I quite enjoyed it-fast forwarding one track,and slowing down another,to hear Chanting etc.Another of my Mates had just read about "The Hell Fire Club",so there was an interest there.We had already had two Seances and things had been a bit uncomfortable(one time a Glass had risen up about 2 foot and cracked-it looked like a glass -cutter had gone around it,cutting off an inch wide band).But we decided to have another at my House.
Both my Parents were out so I set up a Table.We all gathered around it and started the Seance.In our first two encounters we had something that came through and had spelt out "Aberfan"(The Welsh School Disaster of `66).We made sure that nobody was pushing the glass-just by placing a finger-tip to the Glass.This time it did not come through but something else did.The Glass was moving around pretty fast.We all took turns in asking it questions.Still the Glass moved quickly.Should have stopped it then!!There was a Girl on my left(Tracey)who was treating it as a bit of a joke-but She had not been to the two before.When it came to Her turn to ask a Question,she started asking"are you the Dev...." when I was bodily picked up and thrown against the Wall.When I came to,I was halfway up the wall trying to get between the wallpaper and the wall.My Mates said they had never seen anything like it.I was bloody scared .We burnt the Letters and myself and Vaughan(one of my Mates)took the Glass outside,and he threw it down the Road.We heard it land so we went inside.Next morning he came around and asked"Had I seen the Glass?".When we both went to look at it,we found it standing upright and unbroken.I smashed my Boot down and broke there and then.From that day on I have never been associated with Seances again.We had our warnings and thought nothing of it.

We eventually found out who had done the beatings and retribution was arranged. :)

Sidney Scott

Reaction score
Yeh, Bristol Omnibus in early 80s, Muller Road depot. Was mostly VRs, with a few Lodekka FLFs they still used. The buses where I am now are all manual and not very well maintained,...crunch,..grind,..stall
I had a mate in Bath and I applied to Bristol Cityline but never got the job. They had VR's and only two of the old style half cabs left. Muller Road is often talked about by people from Bristol. Man all this nostalgia and maybe that's why I'm in this skinhead thing? I just cannot let go of the past and prefer the old to the new and every time I walk in the boozer back north the place reverts straight back to the seventies and eighties as my selection goes on the jukebox, much to the delight of many who give it the thumbs up and to the bemusement of the younger crowd who have only heard and read about the skinhead/mod/ punk culture. There are a few younger skinheads kicking around I'm pleased to say especially up in Sunderland.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads