Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Shep

Shep Active Member

Welcome along Mike.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Not really.The big thing was ,the changing of the Name and the first Album.Nothing had been done before like it-or shall I say,as deep as that.I had seen "Earth"advertised on Posters(stuck up) that gave dates of up and coming Concerts-at the Civic Hall(mind you some of them were old).I used to stand at a Bus Stop and there was an old Poster for the "Ricky Tick"Club,promoting a Rolling Stones visit.The Club had shut down around `66,this was 3 years later.Wish I could have got that Poster-but someone had done his job properly and pasted it to wood.It was too big(the old door I mean)to get it on the Bus!!!!:)

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I had a Ghost visit me when I was running a Bar,in Cyprus.It was mid morning,so a bit early for the Brandy,I had just changed Barrels ready for the evening Trade.I came from the back and saw a young Woman(dressed in Black) standing at the Bar.I said "I won`t keep you a minute".When I came back-after putting the empty Keg away,She was not there.I thought the Lady may have gone to the Toilet so I carried on working.After a while,I asked the two Men in the Bar had they seen where the Lady had gone.Both looked at me as if I was mad.Both said,nobody had been in!!!
    The Brandy came out then!!!!

Soundsandpressure,there were no Goths in the 60s but I do believe "Sabbath" had something to do with starting that Fashion up.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Ed, I think it was this item in IT which made me walk into their offices and talk to them about setting up 'Yell'. I saw this as an indication that if we were given somewhere to talk about ourselves we would. As you know, it didn't quite work out like that.

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Ed, I hear what you say about the organ instrumentals. I don't think we liked things that were packaged for us - reggae tracks with 'Skinhead' jammed into the title, Slade, and (I'm sorry to admit) Yell, and so on.

I can remember two of the first blokes in the Lewisham area to leave the skinhead thing behind. I remember them saying, "Reggae's all the same, the same heavy one-drop on the third beat." And I was saying something to them like: "If a reggae track is good it's good, and anyway you liked it yesterday so how come you're so much 'wiser' today?" I thought they were adopting a superior attitude, and I still do think that. But to be honest I didn't like all the smooth, UK-produced stuff that was coming out. Desmond Dekker's stuff in patois had been so good that records like 'You Can Get It If You Really Want It' with its string section backing just sounded wrong.

There was still good stuff around, like Tommy McCook's 'Last Flight to Reggae City', but reggae did seem to be in the doldrums in the early 70s until all the Jah Lion inna Zion stuff came along.

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Ed, I hear what you say about the organ instrumentals. I don't think we liked things that were packaged for us - reggae tracks with 'Skinhead' jammed into the title, Slade, and (I'm sorry to admit) Yell, and so on.

T'was not me - Browniecj, is your man. :happy:

This lot works for me, mind:

http://www.accuradio.com/#!/search/reggae/

(Particularly 'Reggae Wonderland'.) :D

Some of it is truly dire, but you can, if you try, just visualise a group of guys in Bridgetown hastlly scribbling lyrics and chords down on the back of a beermat, saying: 'This'll do - the boneheads (sic) will love this...! :embar:)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Might stir a few memories: http://www.squidoo.com/discomusic

(Use the links.)

If you can be arsed: look at the punters in the Tremeloes vid... not skins, but just ordinary folk, of the day - fascinating. (Well, I think it is.) :nodding:

Where did my 'yoof' go? (Don't say 'he's' working in Debenhams!!!) :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I thought it was funny when they bunched Radio Luxembourg with the Pirate Stations.Then I read how the B.B.C. was at war with the Station.In my Youth,it was the nearest we could get to American Radio(Commercials).In the middle 60s you could get a series of Albums,on Chess,that highlighted different American Stations-during the 50s and early 60s.I was lucky enough to go and visit Radio Luxembourg(in Luxembourg) and get shown around by Tony Prince(this would have been about `62/`63.I was in the Scouts).Who could forget Horace Batchelor and his wonder Pools System,from Keynsham in Bristol.My Dad tried it and got F.A. :)

9. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I must be slightly younger than you... 'cos I didn't know about K-e-y-n-s-h-a-m, Bristol until some of the old hacks where I worked, went on about it - circa '71-72.

Here in NW England, Luxembourg never had a huge audience, due to the limitations of a.m. broadcasting. (Fading in-and-out...)

I know this now - as a licensed radio amateur (ham) - but never understood it back then.

I remember Stuart Henry - former Radio 1 - broadcasting and people thinking he was pissed... the boy had MS. :brick:

Cop a load of this:

10. Basset

Basset Senior member

Used to love doing the pools, if i remember rightly the bloke would come round sometime midweek to pick the money up/give you next weeks coupon, ive been plastering nearly thirty years now, alas like your dad i was rubbish at it [​IMG]

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It faded in and out,and when you were listening under the Sheets,you were short of options.I liked Stuart Henry.He was not a big Name "jock" like Noel Edmonds,Dave Lee Travis,or David Hamilton etc.,but that is why I liked him-the rest were "wrist-jobs".

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thats right,remember them and the Man from "Prudential".You also had the Man who would come around and give you "Tick",if something special was coming up.I can remember my Mum standing at the door,or when borrowing money(without my Dad knowing,he was dead against these People)just inside the door.Neighbours,you see.But everybody was at it .If only he knew!!!!
    I did the Pools once and won £40.That was the end of my "Pools Winners"Luck!!

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I had been seriously into Rocksteady and Early Reggae,so when I heard the "Skinhead"Records etc.,I thought Pop.Desmond Dekker was a good case in point.Saw him "Live" 3 times.The first,brilliant.The second so,so and the third "I`m a Star" crap.He had forgotten who had put him there.This also happened in the 70s with Marley.

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... I've never met a poor plasterer - you're just greedy. :happy:

And don't get me on plumbers... :satisfied:

15. Basset

Basset Senior member

Good honest graft should equal good honest money, not these days, i cant afford to insure the Bentley these days [​IMG], plumbing is the devils work