• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
Cross between Bowie and Skinhead.
smile.gif

That would be a zighead then
smile.gif
, theres a few other clips on youtube of the band circa 75 with lowe wearing boots, jeans with turnups, early weller style haircut, denim jacket etc, its a bit of a wade and most of the tracks are crap, theres a couple of him playing in rockpile still wearing button downs, denim, bout 79 i think, just found it interesting sort of like a link between the period im interested in now and a time when music and fashion came on the radar for me if that makes sense. Thanks for all the welcomes

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Evening one and all, best do a quick intro, Coatesy, skinhead, 45 (nearly), from Bristol, married, 2 kids one 10 the other 12, plasterer, know quite a few members on this thread, Roy,Shep,Will,Noddy and more i suspect.Roy told me about this thread a while back so i thought i'd get me ass in gear and have a look, bloody hell over 500 posts its taking some reading, good stuff and nice to see people sharing info, experiences, and opinions without it descending into the usual slanging matches which seem to happen on various other forums when it comes to clobber. Think thats about it, will try and join in and contribute although my knowledge is limited.
Hi Mate - good to hear from you.

Reading of the characters you obviously know, on here, there's no point in me advising you to stay away from bad company. :satisfied: :satisfied:

buttons

Reaction score

Hi Mate - good to hear from you.
Reading of the characters you obviously know, on here, there's no point in me advising you to stay away from bad company. :satisfiedp: :satisfied:

Too late for that my friend. We've already got him well corrupted!

Jam74

Reaction score
Great to see so many original skinhead pics. Not to mention some of people posting here are original skins! Thats something I always wondered about as a skin in the US. What the original skins were really like, and how they dressed etc. Took 20 years but I can finally see now :) gotta love the internet LoL

So did skins really develop from the mod scene? Was it 68-69?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great to see so many original skinhead pics. Not to mention some of people posting here are original skins!  Thats something I always wondered about as a skin in the US. What the original skins were really like, and how they dressed etc. Took 20 years but I can finally see now :)  gotta love the internet LoL

So did skins really develop from the mod scene? Was it 68-69?

It started to develop in `67(we were still Mods)-with the no.4 on top,then progressed through to `69 when the Media called us Skinheads.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Some classic American garments do seem to do up on the oposite side zipper wise. My Mrs bought me one of those American Chopper hoodies for Christmas a few years back. And it had the zipper on the opposite way around. I also had an Alpha Flight Jacket years ago that was like that.

Cheers.
I weren't sure if there was any technical or gender relevance to this zipper thing. Seems it makes no odds.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
were did ya find it best one ive seen mate
I think I stole it of this forum mate, Any cool pics I find I tend to put in one of my photo folders.

I've read that 'Boys Story' novel, that another photo of that lad apperas on.
It's a wee bit cheesy, but some of the clobber descriptions seem authentic.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Technically the Mccloud jacket is that long, not sure where you guys are getting the idea that is not as the picture I posted is cut off half way, I think we can chalk up these jackets to a 70's trend no matter what kind of background you came from.

Except that the picture of me is from 1969.

Last edited:

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
FWIW: just spent three hours reading all of the thread again... I'd missed so much when I originally skimmed the forum - brilliant stuff.

Ta.

bunty

Reaction score

Thought this was interesting whats peoples thoughts on singer Nick lowes style
Hello Basset - Great clip, thanks for posting. Brownie beat me to it with the Bowie/Skinhead quote, I was gonna say 'Aladdin Braces'. The following photos are not for the purists with a nervous disposition.......:D... Jesse Hector (Formerly of 60s bands The Way of Life, The Mod Section and Crushed Butler) Photographed in 1970 fronting the Hammersmith Gorillas. An ex Mod/Skinhead's look, more 'honest' than Slade's attempt I reckon. Building up a good collection of 'Mods in Front of Caravans' photos, a few more here-http://www.flickr.com/groups/22014941@N00/pool/ Working on a 'Boot Boys'n'Bed and Breakfasts' collection too.

Raff72

Reaction score
Can't remember if I've asked this in this thread or not but does anyone have any info on a novel called Aggro?? I found a copy of it years ago (can't find it again unfortunately) and it was basically a Richard Allen style book but written by someone who seemed to be a bit more knowledgable on the subject. The main character got around in legit skinhead gear and hung around in reggae clubs. From memory the storyline had something to do with the British Movement or NF weaseling their way into the skinhead scene. It was a total pulp novel but written pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads