Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Raff72

Raff72 Active Member

Can't remember if I've asked this in this thread or not but does anyone have any info on a novel called Aggro?? I found a copy of it years ago (can't find it again unfortunately) and it was basically a Richard Allen style book but written by someone who seemed to be a bit more knowledgable on the subject. The main character got around in legit skinhead gear and hung around in reggae clubs. From memory the storyline had something to do with the British Movement or NF weaseling their way into the skinhead scene. It was a total pulp novel but written pretty well.

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

Just a thought Bunty but assuming the 2 pics are from a very similar time (as his hair is the same, I would be very doubtful if this was 1970.
    The two tone clumpy shoes could be various things but unless they were tailored, I think ye'd struggle buying them ruperts in '70. And the suit jacket in the second pic - very typical '73 lapel (late '72 at the earliest).

And I love a pair of big sideboards but they're a bit much for my liking!

3. bunty

bunty Senior member

Funny you should say that Buttons..... the lapels didn't look '70 to me either....but I thought 'Nah, Paolo Hewitt wouldn't get his dates wrong in his carefully researched book* ' :D

*The A to Z of Mod by P H and Mark Baxter. (Missing out a big chunk in 'S' )

4. Basset

Basset Senior member

Good pics Bunty, always good to see pics showing how things were changing, blimey those burns are epic, dont want to move to far off topic, ruperts definately around 71, i think i might have the ones in this vid in me wardrobe [​IMG] 3.50 in i think

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

Ha ha, as if Mr H would get a detail like that wrong!

6. Sidney Scott

Sidney Scott Member

Ever read that horror novel 'Jekyll and Hyde'? I know which one this bloke reminds me of!

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Margate -1970 x 2 (Copyright - Topfoto)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, can't lose the watermark.

8. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Cracking pics ed,

9. pete7586

pete7586 New Member

Please watch and listen

10. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

How's the book coming along?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  11. buttons

buttons Senior member

Have seen the odd picture of lads with their shirts hanging out - "the summer look of 1970" some have coined. i always thought it looked pretty scruffy. Was just wondering from the originals what was the opinion to this back then (when untucking your shirt was looked upon very differently to nowadays)?

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

It was coming on quite well, but then a load more material came in. On the plus side I now have three months without any study, so I'm going to have another crack at assembling the chapters.

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I never - though maybe the memory has gone - did it.

I think it ultimately came about, in recent years, because people had (beer) bellies... and the 'shirt out' look partially disguises this.

I rarely saw a fat skinhead back 'in the day'.

That said: I stand to be corrected.

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

Think you're right Ed, in more recent times as the 'partial disguise' (in a darts player kind of way!)
    [​IMG]

Different way of life back then - more active, working for a living, less time sitting at a computer talking to like minded fatties (!!), different diet etc etc and the fact that you were teenegers.
    Couple of lads in the pic above of Aston Villa skinheads who like a snack between meals, one with a beard (very rare in such circles), but both not exactly the ones you'd pick out from the crowd and say "I wanna look more like him".

15. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Good pic - love the way the scarves are tied in a more traditional 'cravat' style, as opposed to today's slightly effete variations - ducky. :D