• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the folk on Pama forum who where skinheads back in the late 60s was the first lot I've heard accounts from, it was an eye opener for sure. Chris's accounts was also closely related to that of Roy's, since he mentions Kilburn mob quite a lot, especially on how he feared them :D He had a girlfriend in their area, and every time when he went into their area was an adventure! It suffices to say, their relationship did not last :p here's another one that mentions Kilburn, does the shop name ring any bells Roy?:
Shame no one bothered to join this thread :(
Talking about pama forum reminds me of a term that someone over there dropped, anyone remember the term 'a boston back', is it also something that originated from the ivy look?

Their was a West Indian record shop in Willesden Lane Kilburn, cant remember its name, Most reggae records never got into the National charts.. so we would go to these little shops for new stuff, They would have their own Reggae chart chalked up on a board.

I always thought the Boston Back was the way the Barber cut the back of your hair straight across, :)

harrysgame

Reaction score

Its such a bomb shell that second pic tbh, and sort of re-writing (once again) what we originally thought, the picture clearly dates to 1970 at the very latest and if im not mistaken its the Capital too.

Strange.......

They are from the late 70s or possibly 1980/1.

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

bunty

Reaction score
Brownie, are these those shoes that you were describing in your PM? With the stripe down the middle that George is wearing? I've heard a lot about these at this end too, worn from '66 (but in darker colours I think) If these are the ones that later 60's Mods wore, I can see where the awful 80's 'Skunk' Jam shoe was based.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After having a look through these photos I've come to one conclusion.... I'm so glad I was part of the original skinhead scene and not the latter one - to be honest they were worlds apart - in my own humble opinion of course.

I am also very happy to have been part of the original scene, I consider myself so lucky to be born at the right time, My Brother would take me to a cafe in Kilburn Lane around 62, Their would still be what looked like Teds around,Then the Mods that i have clear memories of, then the Skinheads that i was part of, Then the Punk scene. I had a dead end job in 76 working at CBS Records, Their was a Punk Rocker working there who was actually older the myself, at the time Virgin was signing all these Punk bands and he would recommend Bands to me, By 77 I was married.

The World that i was lucky enough to grow up in is gone forever, Their will never be another White working class cult .

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got to add to the above although i was still only 22 in 76, I took no part in the Punk scene, But i did like the music, Of all the Teenage cults i think Punk has had the biggest influence on World Art.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brownie, are these those shoes that you were describing in your PM? With the stripe down the middle that George is wearing? I've heard a lot about these at this end too, worn from '66 (but in darker colours I think) If these are the ones that later 60's Mods wore, I can see where the awful 80's 'Skunk' Jam shoe was based.

They were a sort of mid brown ,with a darker brown leather strip down the middle(similir to what George is wearing).

loreley

Reaction score

On shoes - I don't remember anyone I knew being aware of longwings on offer other than at J Simons shops (1969/70) but that's not to say they were not. I have a pair of Florsheim Imperial Kenmoor in burgundy from J Simons which claim to be calf . As others have said I gather they are made in India now (mine say 'imported').

I concur with the view of Loakes. I have a pair of their plain 'Royal' style shoe in black and while they are solid and have a reasonable shape, the finish on the leather is too hard and shiny.
On tattoos - I do recall some Southend skinheads having a small tattooed rose on one earlobe. None of my mates indulged.

These look pretty good. Are they new or the vintage ones you find on eBay? It's hard to tell because I haven't seen any in person, is there a difference in leather, color, and finish from the vintage ones to what they sell nowadays?

buttons

Reaction score
While we're on shoes, back to fringe and buckle loafers for a minute. Thought I'd throw these in the mix.

60s, loafer nip at the back, strap and buckle (assuming like the munkstrap description Brideshead mentioned earlier), rounded loafer toe but with a small welt, unlike the heavier welt of the 1970 loafers.
Can't make out the name inside.
Spark any memories?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pic of me in 71 I am wearing Royals Tassel Fringed Loathers, that i bought in 70, Note the heavy sole, I must of had them double resoled, which was popular to do back then.

Roy1971-1.jpg

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

These look pretty good. Are they new or the vintage ones you find on eBay? It's hard to tell because I haven't seen any in person, is there a difference in leather, color, and finish from the vintage ones to what they sell nowadays?

They are 'pretty good' but the leather is not the finest of course. They seem hard wearing and very comfortable.

These were purchased new a couple of years ago - one of the last things I got from J Simons Covent Garden shop before it closed its doors. They are not cheap in this country. These were about £280. I am afraid I cannot compare them to the vintage Florsheim but I would guess the older ones are superior.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Going back to Bunty's pics of the Mod and brownie's comments. I also well remember that as youngish (15 or so) skinheads in 1968/69 we really looked up to a group of mods who had, like the guy in the pic developed an exquisite style by this time - beautiful knitwear, Lee rather than Levis jeans, lovely fly fronted macs and so on. I think our little group was also well liked by them but there was a distance between us.

In fact, a gulf opened up when we all went on holiday together in 1969 to Bognor. We stayed in three or four caravans. The older guys were just so sensible, organising rotas for breakfast, for cleaning and so on. I was staying in a caravan with some of the older group and they were worse than my mum and dad in many ways!

Me and the younger guys abandoned the holiday on the Thursday instead of staying till Saturday as intended. That was the end of the beautiful relationship! The older mods never did become skinheads of course but rather seemed to fade away and get married after about 1970……

dopeman

Reaction score
Any idea of what model the Lee jeans you mention are? I suppose jeans would have bought new-so maybe a model around 66/7 ?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea of what model the Lee jeans you mention are? I suppose jeans would have bought new-so maybe a model around 66/7 ?

Lee Riders 60s/70 was popular in London as a alternative to Levis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads