1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I was there.Great Concert,we helped with the "Revolution".

Used to listen to Mike Raven on the Radio(I think it was Sunday Night).I saw him "Live"at one of the Clubs I went to.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I had a Triumph 250cc in 1970(on L Plates).Always wanted a 350cc,but never got it.:)

3. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Skinhead on a Motor Bike, That would have been a sight to see,:)

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It seems,there were a few about-though at the time I did not know that....:)

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

As far as I know(even though in some Books,it states)the only Grandad Shirts I saw worn-were by Hippies.I have seen it written that the early Skinheads look like Eastern Europeans.What absolute B*ll*cks.The Skins were Mods so why look scruffy-even with their Boots etc.I even dispute them wearing British Army Fatigues(Skinheads,Nick Knight-Jim Fergusons` Drawings) in the early stages-maybe in the North they did!!!! Slade were not f*cking Skinheads,how many more times has this got to be said!!!!!:slayer:

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I am sitting in a dark room :D

8. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I used to record his shows on reel to reel tape. Records were expensive in these days but live music was cheap. The reverse of nowadays. Raven was never a phoney and he did not do jingles like the dreadful Emperor Rosko and other soul DJs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Raven

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Back in the mid 60s I think a 45 would cost 6/3p.I would go into a local Record Shop(there was a Girl who I really fancied working there.Alas She was about 3 years older),about `65/`66,who was a Mod-so She would recommend and play stuff to me(in the Listening Booths).That was the thing in those days,there was always People who could recommend Records.This is why(I think)I can listen to a wide Range of Music.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Rosko was good "Live".Saw him quite a few times.:)

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

BTW... were Slade skinheads?

:censored:

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

For a couple of seconds Ed...:)

13. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Maybe it was a provincial thing but definitely skinheads in Bristol wearing grand-dad vests, bright coloured ones as well - but no tie-dyed you'll be glad to hear :D

Think the fatigues were more at the tail end of smoothie going into boot-boy, like with the baggy navy whites and overalls that were worn around 1972 onwards.

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I never liked DJs who tried to be continually upbeat or were too Americanised. Mike Raven never put on an act or tried to dumb down to suit an audience. He knew his stuff and passed on his knowledge and shared his enthusiasm with no 'Smashy' and 'Nicey' nonsense - which was rife in those days. He was one of the original music anoraks.

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I remember one kid wearing a Grand-dad Vest once(I can see them in the Shops-Yellow,Green(bright one at that),Orange,Light Blue,etc.,)he got so much stick,he never wore it again.To me and a lot of Skins I knew,they and Grand dad Shirts represented Hippies.Funny how,in other parts,they were worn by Skinheads.

Mike Raven and somebody else I used to listen to,Alexis Korner,knew their stuff.People like Rosko gave you a good time.I had come away from the "Concept Album" where Groups where singing about things about them.I knew what it was like,I could see it everyday-why would I sit and listen to it at home.I wentout to Dances to enjoy myself

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I saw one bloke, once in 1968, in Bromley, N Kent, wearing a grandad vest, braces, and Levis, and that was that. After or before that, nada!

17. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Do I gots to come back on here and straighten yooz guys out?Numerous photos posted here and elswhere have skins wearing "grandad/union shirts"They appear to be from early skin photos.If yooz want I can go thru the pics and re-post dem.

18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Sorry guys.In my memory I confused the shirt this guy is wearing(and some others)with the "Grandad/Union"shirt.[​IMG]

19. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

No problem yankmod.The Memory can play tricks sometimes....:)

20. ek77

ek77 Senior member

like so many so called skinheads all over the world.. ;)