Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

there was a guy that used to post on Modculture many years ago, his username was Bomber, but I never knew his real name (for all I know he posts on here), but he was an original skinhead and his accounts were one of the first and most thorough I had read anywhere. Would def be nice to have more fellows like him to join in. Having Alan (from BSG video) was a nice addition, let's see if he can find and figure out how to post his old photos from back in the day...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

2. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

Yes I saw his posts also- he would be good to get on here. Lots of people on the pama reggae forum were original skins (and clued up too) and would be welcome here. Steve Barrow would be good to get on here also.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I hope the quality of content does not deteriorate, Many people come on here and just go back a few pages...and may think what a load of rubbish..this is why we have to keep the standards of earlier pages. I cannot think of anything else to say on skinhead cloths, and putting my personal experiences is old hat as most Skinheads my age got up to similar stuff, so i don't know where to go from here.

I was chatting to a Skinhead mate the other night, His older brother was a original in the Borehamwood mob and is in the famous Terrence Spencer photo of Borehamwood skinheads, although he has passed a lot of stories onto Colin ..he is not interested in coming on here. We have been lucky of late with Ed and Alan/ibaboxing, but we really do need some new blood so to speak.:)

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Some new old Blood!:)

Pretty much agree on what has been said on here-about going around in CirclesGet fed up with it ,so I stay away for a while.

5. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Its a shame that the Pictures of the "Gay" lads is so frowned upon now, and sort of shunned tbh, as its relivance is that the clobber is Shit Hot, regardless of when it was taken, why it was taken, or in fact their sexuality.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I could not care less for their sexuality, I just think the picture is just a bit to Gay, :D

7. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Just a Bit [​IMG]

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

I'm too bleedin' well scared to post anything now! :D

Found these great photos of a chap on Flickr named Malcolm Smith. I know they are not entirely relevant but they are so good -It's the '69 photo that's interesting, he's still a Mod.

Brideshead - The credit for starting 'The Shoe Chronology' is Brownie's, not mine.

[​IMG]

July '64

[​IMG]

'66

[​IMG]

Rye '69

9. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Very Smart Lad, a proper Mod.

I think "Neat" would be the right work to decribe Malcolm, not in the American sense of the word.

10. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Just so cool and what great quality pics.

Sorry Brownie.....

11. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Yes, the folk on Pama forum who where skinheads back in the late 60s was the first lot I've heard accounts from, it was an eye opener for sure. Chris's accounts was also closely related to that of Roy's, since he mentions Kilburn mob quite a lot, especially on how he feared them :D He had a girlfriend in their area, and every time when he went into their area was an adventure! It suffices to say, their relationship did not last :p here's another one that mentions Kilburn, does the shop name ring any bells Roy?:

Shame no one bothered to join this thread :(

Talking about pama forum reminds me of a term that someone over there dropped, anyone remember the term 'a boston back', is it also something that originated from the ivy look?

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Good Photos,bunty,especially the `69.I was thinking about this the other day.We have talked about the 15/16 year olds and we have talked about the 18/20 year olds(during the late 60s)-but what about the older Group 21/26 year olds.These were Fellas(mainly) who some of them were married but a lot of them were not.I would say the Guy in the "Rye `69" fits into this Bracket.This Group were never Skinheads but older Mods.They wore their Hair short,with a parting on the side,Mohair Suits etc.,but still liked going to the Clubs and mixing with Skinheads.
    In Guildford,the three Groups were very visible at Clubs like the Plaza,but there were certainly Rules to where you would Drink."The Cannon" was where the older Group drank.If you stepped in there a/ without an invite or b/ not within the Age Group,you certainly would expect trouble(when I first went to Guildford,I did not know this-and consequently got beaten up!).The older Group would come down to the Club on the Sunday Night, and take up positions in the Centre of the Dancehall.These older Mods were veterans of Clubs like the Harvest Moon(All-nighters),the Ricky Tick and other Clubs within the Area or London.I suppose you could say,they never grew out of going out to the Clubs.:)

13. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

I for one would love to hear more stories.
    Fights you were in, girls you dated, scene legends, stuff you laughed about, the different personalities in your crews, getting hassled/arrested by the police, mischief you got up to, how you all were affected by major things in the news.
    Even how you'd pass the time when there was nothing to do and you were too young to have real fun. To those of us born decades later, it's a fascinating glimpse of life at that time and place, nothing's really too minor. The stuff here already is great, especially the recollections of what a night out was like and what music was played...
    I've reread those a couple of times!

It would also be great to put together a map of people's neighborhoods growing up, the nightclubs, pubs, youthclubs, etc, who were the rival mobs, and what was their territory... would be cool to visualize it...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

14. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

In '69-70, Saturdays, with no football, were crap.

The closed season - May-September - were grim if you were looking for a ruck, It meant you had to 'make your own entertainment'. :satisfied:

In Manchester, we'd occasionally jump the train to Stockport - only 10-miles away - and look to give the locals there a kickin'.

Surprisingly , those 10 miles were an era away, as the locals skins and 'yoof' were (at least) 18-months behind us, clothing-wise. *

The thing is, as United and City fans, many of us Manchester skins would go to London, regularly - (football 'specials') - and get a look at what 'the cockneys' were wearing, and often buy it. (Or 'liberate' it.) :satisfied:

Stockport (Cheshire), was a backwater - mach akin to a number of Lancashire mill towns - and we saw ourselves as true 'dedicated followers of fashion' (Kinks reference) - bizarre, eh? (Probably more naive, actually.)

We'd meet up, in the 'Underground Market/Market Centre', ostensibly to buy clothes... then get bored. Occasionally, when we'd a tidy enough 'crew' together, we may just have a rampage along Market Street, where some of the naughty boys would shop(!!!) at some of the larger stores... before dumping - or selling - what they'd left home in, that morning.

I know, looking back, it was pretty sad, but we were young and, for many of those, maybe still at school, it was how they survived looking like a 'div'.

Plod soon cottoned on and, whenever say, a couple of dozen of us, went on the move, the vans would tail us about until we dispersed.

We'd try and out-manouvre them, but more often than not, once we'd headed to Piccadilly Station, got on a train and thrown all the light bulbs and anything not nailed down out of the windows - or through them(!) - the train would be stopped at one of the smaller (yes, even smaller than Stockport) stations, we'd be taken off searched, slapped about and made to head back to the city on foot.

We didn't care, we were 'all in it, together' :happy: , with mates - and we had a story to tell those not there, that night. Usually embellished, with the numbers of 20-30, increased to 90-100, as the tale was re-told.

Vandalism - yes. Theft - often. Did we care... not really, and no-one 'lifted' - usually for unpaid fines - was locked up for too long. And more importantly...nobody died.

Summer was good - but football... oh, yes.

* As an aside, the great 'Fred Perry' was born in Stockport.
    http://retrost0p.blogspot.co.uk/2010_12_01_archive.html

15. ek77

ek77 Senior member

asked this in another thread, with no answer.. wondering if someone on here can help....

when added dr martens "the original" and "made in england" to their soles?? still got alot of old pairs (pre 1990), that just have the "dr martens - oil, fat, acid, etc resistant" on the soles.. and no, they are not made in china... any ideas???

[​IMG]