Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

This such a brilliant Photo from Getty images...Professionally taken, The caption is wrong though, Chelsea only played QPR away once that season in the FA Cup, But the pic is outside the main entrance at Stamford Bridge.
    These would be little skinheads 13/14 year olds, the girls hair is spot on their dress is not that typical though, More so the wearing of Braces, Sta-prest, and Jeans. In saying that the famous Tina from Wolverhampton wore Braces and Boots at football.
    Girls was not seen that much at football in the 60s/70, I got a lot of flak once... turning up with a mate with our then girlfriends, What the fcuk are you doing bringing girls to football, :D

What i love about this pic its so London,:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Roy,there were plenty of Girls,in the "Shed".A Mate of mine nearly had intercourse with one,during a Match(honest!!!!)The Game was one of those 0-0 Draws. :)Always found the Girls of West London welcoming.

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Go on the "Classic Shoes For Men"Website,and you will see a A Style similar to Royal Gibsons-they call them "Norwegians".How strange is that?
    Not too good with the Computer.

5. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I just don't care - why even flag it up here?

7. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

We shall just have to see what information crops up mate. Dont read too much into the quality, camera etc.... as already pointed out, theyre professional shots, so the equipment wont have been a box brownie. There was plenty of good pics taken across the board in them days, just look at mag shots, and album covers etc...

Always find UKS a little like Wikipedia..... Loads of information, mostly inaccurate. :)

8. Little Queenie

Pretty sure the paper copies of the photos I've seen are captioned 'London 1969'.

9. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

That rings a bell with me too, for years i was sure it was Brighton, and then corrected, probably by your Lad.

How you both keeping?, keep meaning to pop in when Im passing, but never seem to catch the right Shift.

10. Little Queenie

We're fine thank-you, he was just saying today that he hasn't heard from you in a while.

11. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Tell him Ill try and pop in next time hes got a day off if he lets me know.

And he's always welcome to pop down the Factory for a cuppa too, he can ave a look over the new Bike :)

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

That was what I said but I didn’t really mean that. What I should have said was that the popular view of any style will become twisted and perverted over time.

In the late 1960s we were trying to distance ourselves from the dandified Mod with his flowing locks, floral shirt and tight fitting velvet jacket. But the 1960s dandy was a strutting peacock and a very long way removed from the Regency Dandy whose code was exquisite simplicity. Brummell once said: "If John Bull turns around to look after you, you are not well dressed; but either too stiff, too tight, or too fashionable". His peacock display was restricted to his cravats alone. So actually and ironically not at all unlike a skinhead in his ‘anti-fashion’ philosophy.

But in 2012, to quote one i-gent ‘For me, dandy is a pejorative...or at least, it's not a fantastically positive word’. The original skinhead now finds himself in the same boat as the Dandy – misunderstood.

What I do care about is this thread. I put up a warning not so long ago about the direction we were heading in and suggested that if we did not raise our game that this would go the way of all threads – and die.

There have been one or two interesting ideas since then – I liked Bunty’s footwear chronology and loved the Getty Images pic of Chelsea. But generally the decline continues. We should not forget that we are hosted by ‘The Style Forum’ where elsewhere people earnestly debate whether a flat or pinched bow goes best with an evening pump or the ins and outs of the Neapolitan spalla camica. We once aspired to such heights (and we should) but for Christ’s sake how can we now spend two or three pages debating the outline of testicles on a queer skinhead’s jeans?:angry:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

13. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

My Footwear chronology from about 1967 to early 1971:

Desert boots – I like to think Clarks and do believe it to be true. As bunty says these were worn up to 1968.

Tuf black boots – which I always hated

DM shoes – never a favorite either

Monkey boots

Ravels round toed shoes - I had a pair that today would be called monkstraps!

Solatios – Italian inspired lace ups in brown

Solatios – black with a woven vamp and really bought too late so got worn rarely

Royals – black brogues; ‘Cordovan’ plains (despite popular belief these were not actual cordovan)

Loafers with tassel

Loafers with woven vamp

Stephen Topper round toed lace ups

By now we are talking about 1971 and the look had moved on so quickly. The new decade really did bring a new mood and in keeping with those days it was out with the old.....

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Totally agree what you are saying John, This thread is declining....Maybe we have just about exhausted the subject, I know i have....We need more input from members who just trawl over the thread without contributing, We also need more people to join too give a fresh perspective on the subject.
    Yes i also agree spending Three pages debating what is clearly a staged photo of a trio of gays...That has nothing to do with this thread.:bored:

It may be a good idea to end this thread, other than to let it decline into triviality.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

15. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

The thread is declining -but don't let it end!
    I have followed this thread from (almost) the start and really enjoyed and appreciated the input from the 3 or 4 actual original skinheads who are on here, whilst ignoring the odd yank (excluding jason),german or 80's skin who asks the odd ridiculous question about the size of your turn ups or your politics at age 14.
    My hope from the start was that more people who were there at the time would stumble across this thread and add some more memories ,hopefully with some pictures too.
    Ive been into this culture since the 2tone era and have researched ever since. Nearly all skinhead history I have came across in print has been revisionary with most revivalists taking there cue from pictures or newspaper clippings (M-o-M you have been copied for years!) or indeed talking to older relatives or originals. But what has never happened is originals (who were pretty hardcore about it at the time clothes wise) all talking in one place sharing memories and comparing notes on what was worn when and where . Hopefully more originals will come on board and contribute even if its just " we wore donkey jackets in essex in 68-heres a pic of me wearing one" or whatever..its all helpful for the book. I know its rare to come across someone like the 3 guys on here who not only knew their stuff back then-but still do and care enough to let others know, but maybe in a year or 2 someone else will pop up with some new pictures or something else for the book.