• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

chickNcoop

Reaction score

this boot is also discontinued. some reason DM will not be making it anymore, according to them, It seemed to have sold very well, so not sure why they are not making it anymore. But full range of sizes on UK site, but if you're stateside they will not ship overseas so you'd have to proxy it thru a local.
and welcome to the forum KicksinStyle and Hennesy

These are full grain leather, right?

kicksinstyle

Reaction score
Welcome kicksinstyle.
I used to leave my Shirt Collar undone,whilst it dried.I think you could stuff Cotton Wool in the BD.

Cheers, not a bad idea. worth a try I suppose.

I should have mentioned in my introductory post, but just to clarify, I don't consider myself a skinhead - just someone with enormous respect for the principles and standards established and maintained by the originals. To this day it's my opinion that 'the look' of the late 60s is the epitome of men's youth/street fashion.
Cheers
Allan (kicksinstyle)

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Welcome kicksinstyle.
I used to leave my Shirt Collar undone,whilst it dried.I think you could stuff Cotton Wool in the BD.

Welcome kicksinstyle and Hennessy60.

On preserving collar roll I find all of the following offer some help:

Wash with the collar not buttoned down
Use a little spray starch on the collar before ironing
Store with the collar fastened but not buttoned down

On dressing for football mentioned earlier, I was often struck when I used to go to the North Bank at Highbury how skinheads would stand with their back to the action chatting about what they were going to do that evening and posing in their latest gear. The football was just a backdrop for them. Very cool….

bunty

Reaction score

Welcome kicksinstyle and Hennessy60.
On preserving collar roll I find all of the following offer some help:
Wash with the collar not buttoned down
Use a little spray starch on the collar before ironing
Store with the collar fastened but not buttoned down
On dressing for football mentioned earlier, I was often struck when I used to go to the North Bank at Highbury how skinheads would stand with their back to the action chatting about what they were going to do that evening and posing in their latest gear. The football was just a backdrop for them. Very cool….

....any information to back up the rumour that Charlie George was a Skinhead John?

Good evening kickinstyle and Hennessy60 and all the other new members that I've forgotten to say hello to.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chelsea was known for smart skinheads, going to football was not only about the aggro, it was posing in your best casual cloths, no one worried about getting their kit ripped, it was important to let the opposition know that you was better dressed.
I admit i was not that interested in the Game, I only got to understand the off side rule in 94 when i started going to Chelsea again with my Two Sons ..who explained it to me. :D

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

These are full grain leather, right?

no they are still corrected grain, but is a nicer quality than the normal 1460 leather. seems just slightly thicker, shines up better, and looks much nicer after a lot of walking and creasing, and repeated polishing. Color is also great, so much richer looking than the oxblood/cherry red

Last edited:

chickNcoop

Reaction score

no they are still corrected grain, but is a nicer quality than the normal 1460 leather. seems just slightly thicker, shines up better, and looks much nicer after a lot of walking and creasing, and repeated polishing. Color is also great, so much richer looking than the oxblood/cherry red

Thanks as always, hopefully I'll have a chance to get down to the DM Store this weekend and check them out.

Seen this?

http://www.dmusastore.com/t-bespokedetails.aspx

Last edited:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score

Roy you are "Posh",Mate! :D.Even Londoners from East London are not true Cockneys-that Honour goes to People like my Wife Susie(who comes from the Hoxton/Shoreditch Area).A True Cockney.
Seriously though,I never went on the "Football Specials",but years later I went North to go to Soul Dos.I can honestly say I never met any "Cockney B*st*rd"rhetoric-only when myself and my Brother-in-Law(who originates from Bermondsey)went to Mexborough in Yorkshire.We were told to keep quiet because the Locals hated Cockneys.So we did the over acting bit"Cor Blimey Guv" and "`ere You Got A New Motor?"(It was just about the time when Alexei Sayle was in the Charts).Apart from that never I experienced any "Anti-London"Feeling.In fact they were interested because we had made the Journey to places like Blackburn,Bradford,Manchester etc.,etc.
I can honestly say that the Greaser v Skinhead thing did not carry on all the time.Other times we have stood in their Bars and drunk with them and they visited us.In fact one time there was a Mob coming over from some where and some of the Greasers(we knew)joined up with us.They also rode around on their Bikes to do the Scouting.:)

Nice one - almost like the Xmas truce of WWI! (With all due respect to those who fell in that one.)
I used to go to a little club in Levenshulme, Manchester, when I was 15-16, and having collected my g/f of the time, we had to pass a cafe that was used solely by 'Greasers'.
It was called 10-10... for no other reason than it was situated at 1010 Stockport Road. (Found a post about this place on another site, just the other day, BTW.)
Initially, scared by tales of 'skins' having been dragged in, and having their 'conkers' crushed, by maniac 'Greabos' with nutcrackers, we usually went the long way round, to avoid walking past the place.
Dunno whether it was raining, or what, but one night we opted to walk past and, lo-and-behold, despite taking some light-hearted abuse by fellas in their late-teens/early-20s (I was 15-16), it was all fairly amiable and non-threatening.
After that, I used to go past with mates, stop and look at some of the bikes - some beautiful machines, some total crap, and all British - I never gave it a second thought until, maybe taking the pi**, my mate and I rode pass on his SX 150... 'game on!' as they say.
Four bikes came up behind us, booted us off and roared away... we were no match and, after that, only the truly daft rode past 10-10 on a scooter... or those who didn't know better.
Happy days.

Hi guys - can't comment about the rest of the country but in Bristol the 'Greaser v Skinhead thing' was certainly not over exaggerated. The fights between the two groups lasted a few years, from 1969-71 and were widespread and vicious. There was a temporary truce after one of the greasers was killed when a car full of skinheads clashed with some bikers (no one was charged - and the death was eventually found to be accidental) and there were numerous incidents which eventually led to the formation of the quaintly named 'Bovver squad' by the Avon and Somerset police.

I've posted this photo before of the short lived truce - this appeared in the local press at the time. The biker in the middle with the moustache was known as 'Maverick' - he died a year or so ago and his funeral in Bristol was huge with thousands of bikers/Hells Angels from all over the world attending. Also in the photo is a mate of mine and one of the few black skinheads in Bristol, he's 61 now and a lovely bloke but sad to say wouldn't be seen dead wearing any skinhead gear - although the guy at the front (dark lad with heavy eyebrows - he's Italian) tries hard bless him - photo also attached of him and me from a few years back.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around our way we never saw any Greasers, Although the Ace Cafe was only a few miles up the road on the North Circular,
We would often go to Saturday Late night Pictures at the State Cinema Kilburn, One night about twenty of us with girlfriends was in there, I was with my future Wife, Their was a load of noise coming from the back, which sounded like a gang, Back then other gangs would not dare to come into our manor, So a couple of lads went up the back to the Gents, also to look who this lot was, They came back... fcuking Greasers,Which was not much of a deal, We would have been more concerned if they was a Skinhead gang, We had nothing against Greasers they was older than us, and part of another world.

But the Greasers started to get abusive to us, Now looking back they must of just strayed into the area, not knowing the Rep of the Kilburn Skinheads, Anyway a fight broke out, the lights came on their was Old Bill all over, They channeled us down to the main stairs to the foyer, i was linked up with my girlfriend, As they opened the door the Greasers was standing behind the coppers pointing at us, at the same time i saw Two greasers lying on the floor and one lying on a couch all had been stabbed. fcuking blood all over the place, next minute i was grabbed by the old bill with others, their was about Ten of us that got arrested, Three lads had nothing to do with our gang just lads over on a visit from Ireland,
They took us to the Cop Shop and told us we are gonna get charged with attempted murder, I thought fcuk that.. but i did nothing so i had nothing to worry about,?? We was bailed out but had to report to the Old Bill shop each evening to sign on,which was a a pain for my mate as he lived in Bermondsey, This went on for about Ten days, then the Old bill said we did not have to come back and that was the end of it.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+I remember `70,we were on our way to I.O.W.for our annual get-together in a Ryde Pub.Halfway there, a gang of 2nd Wave Teds got on.One of them shouted"we were the first Hooligans",so we piled into them.Stupid B*st*rds!!!:)

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

+I remember `70,we were on our way to I.O.W.for our annual get-together in a Ryde Pub.Halfway there, a gang of 2nd Wave Teds got on.One of them shouted"we were the first Hooligans",so we piled into them.Stupid B*st*rds!!!:)
Obviously they had never heard of Genghis Khan and his Mongol mob. (They were big down Greece/Turkey/Asia way.) :slayer:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Obviously they had never heard of Genghis Khan and his Mongol mob. (They were big down Greece/Turkey/Asia way.) :slayer:

Indeed! And I thought the word hooligan itself was of 1890s origin - quote from Wiki:

The term hooligan has been used since at least the mid 1890s—when it was used to describe the name of a street gang in London—at approximately the same time as Manchester's street gangs, known as the "Scuttlers" were gaining notoriety. The first use of the term is unknown, but the word first appeared in print in London police-court reports in 1894 referring to the name of a gang of youths in the Lambeth area of London—the Hooligan Boys,[3] and later—the O'Hooligan Boys.[4] In August 1898 a murder in Lambeth committed by a member of the gang drew further attention to the word which was immediately popularized by the press.[5] The London-based newspaper Daily Graphic wrote in an article on 22 August 1898, "The avalanche of brutality which, under the name of 'Hooliganism' ... has cast such a dire slur on the social records of South London".[2][

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Having tried to put my rant of a couple of days ago behind me I must say I now feel some of my sentiments were a bit harsh - they were not intended to be offensive to anyone.

One thing I am interested in is the current discussions about how far originals go in replicating The Look today. Some posters (not necessarily originals) seem to wish to completely replicate the authentic look to the extent of limiting themselves to original pieces. Others use it more as a yardstick that helps them judge what is and is not acceptable among the huge number of different styles now available to us in 2012.

For me it has always given me a standard to aspire to even if I do not seek to embrace the entire look - like Roy and others I need to move on. I like Ed's point about neatness and cleanliness.

The other point I liked was about the clashing (if you are not careful) between the shirt and the harrington linings. I embraced 'controlled clashing' in the 80s - remember that? - and I try to apply that now to this challenge. It can work:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads