1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Quote:

Interesting. What would that sort of clobber be, and did it influence the early skinheads or the Mods before them that may have gone to fooball?
    I do know that the whole origins of the dresser/casual thing was claimed by those Mersey-centric scallies and what have you, and they say that the Southerners were copying them. Suppose that's a debate for a whole other thread though.[​IMG]
    I was just referring to the rabid one-upmanship of both cults. Granted, these days skinhead is more of an ideal uniform than "casual" or "dresser", but they defintely have parallels in working class "dress better than your betters" ethic and week-to-week "keep up in the back" policy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Yes, the a darkish red. Back when i was into the punk thing i used to own a couple of oxblood red Underground but they were not that deep red colour. But i suppose oxblood isn't really a standardized colour?

4. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Just one question; The white shirts of the early era, are they of some special kind/brand? Or are they just generic white shirts?

5. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

I seem to recall there was a discussion about white shirts on here awhile back. Any white shirt would suffice though Van Heusen was also popular.

6. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Arnold Palmer was another one that I recall but not sure whether that was an actual 'brand' as such.

Anyway, different subject - just found this pic on the Skinhead Revolt site and if I'm not mistaken the copper appears to be wearing my old favourites, Monkey boots - thought it was de rigeur for coppers to wear DMs in the mid 70s?

[​IMG]

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I recall, here in Manchester, you'd even spot Plod in DM shoes.

It's all paramilitary footwear now, of course.

8. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I have me an olive green/almost olive drab Baracuta G9; it's los huevos del perro. I think it's the Acorn colored one, and very similar to Eccles's harry.

[​IMG]

'sthat the one you mean?

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are shit.:)

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Try the Site Ben Nevis(sorry not able to put Link up).There is a Range of Colours on there.

12. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

I Foundation the Ben nevis site. I guess the "khaki Green" is the one most like the one worn in the photos?

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?

[​IMG]

"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...

14. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Well easier to look at those Soul boy pics from the mid 70's a few pages back to see where the early Baby skins had morphed into and where the London ' casual ' ( again just like Skinhead a term not really used until the press coined it ) lads took much of there look from . Like all youth cults a bit comes from here , a bit from there and a dollop of the previous generations clobber . Sure there are items that can be traced to mickeys illegal shopping trips to France but many more that go back as far as London Mod and Soul Boy ( Desert boots , Lois , Lacoste , Macs ( Burberry if you were very lucky ) slacks ). All generations of London's boys have influenced each other in fact quite a few of us have been examples of the lot at some time.

15. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I thought the Ivy shop sold the Barracuta back in the late 60s , i never made it there being 10 and living 15 miles away but even in our playground the shop and the 'real Harrington ' was legendary .

16. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and many of us (in t' north) wouldn't have been able to afford the Barracuta, anyway.

(Flash Londoners.) :happy:

17. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

With regard to green harringtons, I have a G9 in 'Loden' - not sure they still do this shade.

[​IMG]

Not sure either that the collars are shit, but they do seem a bit insubstantial compared to say a Ben Nevis collar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".

"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.:)

19. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

That pic to me looks as if mens style had just reached its zenith - even the skinhead look, as it became, did not reach those heights.

20. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Ordinary Solovair or perhaps the Mikkel Rude 1969 by solovair?