Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Drury boot looks good, I like the sleeker design. only minor quibble is the tapering at front of the heel, but I could live with that. DM does use a good oxblood on their Ormond brogue boot...they call it "dark brown" but it's not brown at all, very much a nice dark oxblood which looks a bit similar (tho darker) to the color of the Drury

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Socks, it was White at first, then Red, after that it was all Colours, We would buy the more expensive ones from the Squire Shop, Dead comfortable with your Royals also bought at the Squire shop,
    What also became popular around Winter of 71 was the Rolled collar jumper, Loud colours was popular with matching socks, One colour which was never worn was White, this was associated with Queers, Gays these days :D

3. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

4. lansingtim

lansingtim New Member

Forgive me if some of these questions have already been answered but I have only had time to skim through a few pages of this forum. I was wondering if the cut of pants matter I tend to wear a skinner cut of pants because I like my pants to fit tighter on the lower half of my leg. Also a question to anyone here from the US, where do you get your Ben Shermans or FP gear. The two FP polos I have I got from an online skinhead sportswear website and traded a friend my seldom used skateboard for one of his. Wondering about hair styles also, I tent to keep mine at a 0 fade on the sides and keep the top a little longer to comb it over. Thank you for any help and my apology if anything I have asked/said comes off as ignorant.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

5. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Straight from the FP and BS shops, typically. Lord and Taylor on occasion. Zappos once or twice. Even find TJ Maxx scores once in a while.

edit: Don't forget to look for sample sales. You can get 80-90% off at those sometimes. A lot of the line isn't nearly worth retail nowadays.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

pretty easy to get FP/BS stuff in the states

just go to zappos.com they have a big selection of both, free overnight shipping, no sales tax and 365 returns with prepaid postage if you dont like it. talk about no risk

you just gotta be able to sort thru the schmutter and avoid the crap but you can find the usual stuff in their selections

speaking of TJ Max, that is where we used to find Fred perry polos back in late 80s, some reason they always had some but they were the solid ones with no piping. still it was so important for us to be wearing FP that it didnt matter, nor did a proper fit as many times they were large sizes so we'd have to wash/dry as hot as possible and try to shrink it as much as can

7. kitdakat

kitdakat New Member

your bang on with the names..my Dad is mitchell :D people always mix Dad and frewer up as they were both deaf! :)

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Found a Shop in East London,where they sell F.Ps (without the Piping).50Quid a throw-still Christmas is just around the corner.Better start on my "Wants"List now! :)

9. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

www.punk.com has some good FP and Ben Shermans, if you're patient they have some decent 20% sales

http://www.endclothing.co.uk has a decent selection as well, they give 20% to orders outside of Europe and no tax

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

10. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

I guess it's about time I joined up here and introduce myself as I have been lurking for some time and read every page of this thread. Very interesting reading posts by MoM and Lasttye as original's to Get Smart over the pond who is so dedicated and knowledgeable about the style he loves!

I consider myself an original Skinhead although I would have been described at the time as a "kid" or "Short Arse". Nowadays you'd use the term Mini Skinhead (at the time there were thousands of us!). My older brother, cousins and all their friends described themselves as Mods as late as 1968 and all came from south London - Old Kent Road, New Cross, Greenwich, Woolwich, Shooter's Hill - and either Millwall, Charlton or West Ham (as I am) supporters. My grandad was a Millwall hooligan in the 1920's but he wasn't a Skinhead! We moved to Essex, of all places, in 1968 aged 10. I still regard myself as Kentish although I have been in bleedin' Essex for over 40 years (what I did to deserve this purgatory I don't know).

I am obsessed with clothes and music and have been since I can remember. I have many memories of the late 60's thru 'til the '80's having been involved in probably every youth cult going since then (including Casual and Boot Boys!). First oxford weave shirt bought from W.Wade Pollards in 1969. They were identical to BS's and cost under a Quid. I remember buying, also in '69, my first Levi jeans and jacket in Lewisham for 2 quid each in their sale! First gig - Thin Lizzy as a 3-piece in 1970....nice!

Thanks, G

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

m

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Welcome G,

Nice Introduction, Thanks for the story.

13. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

14. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

I've been listening to the Boot Power compilations lately and have been wondering who exactly the boot boys were? Were they suedeheads who kept growing their hair longer, evolved, etc?

thanks in advance.

15. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011