• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding Socks, it was White at first, then Red, after that it was all Colours, We would buy the more expensive ones from the Squire Shop, Dead comfortable with your Royals also bought at the Squire shop,
What also became popular around Winter of 71 was the Rolled collar jumper, Loud colours was popular with matching socks, One colour which was never worn was White, this was associated with Queers, Gays these days :D

lansingtim

Reaction score
Forgive me if some of these questions have already been answered but I have only had time to skim through a few pages of this forum. I was wondering if the cut of pants matter I tend to wear a skinner cut of pants because I like my pants to fit tighter on the lower half of my leg. Also a question to anyone here from the US, where do you get your Ben Shermans or FP gear. The two FP polos I have I got from an online skinhead sportswear website and traded a friend my seldom used skateboard for one of his. Wondering about hair styles also, I tent to keep mine at a 0 fade on the sides and keep the top a little longer to comb it over. Thank you for any help and my apology if anything I have asked/said comes off as ignorant.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

Also a question to anyone here from the US, where do you get your Ben Shermans or FP gear.

Straight from the FP and BS shops, typically. Lord and Taylor on occasion. Zappos once or twice. Even find TJ Maxx scores once in a while.

edit: Don't forget to look for sample sales. You can get 80-90% off at those sometimes. A lot of the line isn't nearly worth retail nowadays.

Last edited:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
pretty easy to get FP/BS stuff in the states

just go to zappos.com they have a big selection of both, free overnight shipping, no sales tax and 365 returns with prepaid postage if you dont like it. talk about no risk

you just gotta be able to sort thru the schmutter and avoid the crap but you can find the usual stuff in their selections

speaking of TJ Max, that is where we used to find Fred perry polos back in late 80s, some reason they always had some but they were the solid ones with no piping. still it was so important for us to be wearing FP that it didnt matter, nor did a proper fit as many times they were large sizes so we'd have to wash/dry as hot as possible and try to shrink it as much as can

Last edited:

kitdakat

Reaction score
your bang on with the names..my Dad is mitchell :D people always mix Dad and frewer up as they were both deaf! :)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty easy to get FP/BS stuff in the states
just go to zappos.com they have a big selection of both, free overnight shipping, no sales tax and 365 returns with prepaid postage if you dont like it. talk about no risk
you just gotta be able to sort thru the schmutter and avoid the crap but you can find the usual stuff in their selections
speaking of TJ Max, that is where we used to find Fred perry polos back in late 80s, some reason they always had some but they were the solid ones with no piping. still it was so important for us to be wearing FP that it didnt matter, nor did a proper fit as many times they were large sizes so we'd have to wash/dry as hot as possible and try to shrink it as much as can

Found a Shop in East London,where they sell F.Ps (without the Piping).50Quid a throw-still Christmas is just around the corner.Better start on my "Wants"List now! :)

Choco G

Reaction score
I guess it's about time I joined up here and introduce myself as I have been lurking for some time and read every page of this thread. Very interesting reading posts by MoM and Lasttye as original's to Get Smart over the pond who is so dedicated and knowledgeable about the style he loves!

I consider myself an original Skinhead although I would have been described at the time as a "kid" or "Short Arse". Nowadays you'd use the term Mini Skinhead (at the time there were thousands of us!). My older brother, cousins and all their friends described themselves as Mods as late as 1968 and all came from south London - Old Kent Road, New Cross, Greenwich, Woolwich, Shooter's Hill - and either Millwall, Charlton or West Ham (as I am) supporters. My grandad was a Millwall hooligan in the 1920's but he wasn't a Skinhead! We moved to Essex, of all places, in 1968 aged 10. I still regard myself as Kentish although I have been in bleedin' Essex for over 40 years (what I did to deserve this purgatory I don't know).

I am obsessed with clothes and music and have been since I can remember. I have many memories of the late 60's thru 'til the '80's having been involved in probably every youth cult going since then (including Casual and Boot Boys!). First oxford weave shirt bought from W.Wade Pollards in 1969. They were identical to BS's and cost under a Quid. I remember buying, also in '69, my first Levi jeans and jacket in Lewisham for 2 quid each in their sale! First gig - Thin Lizzy as a 3-piece in 1970....nice!

Thanks, G

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess it's about time I joined up here and introduce myself as I have been lurking for some time and read every page of this thread. Very interesting reading posts by MoM and Lasttye as original's to Get Smart over the pond who is so dedicated and knowledgeable about the style he loves!

I consider myself an original Skinhead although I would have been described at the time as a "kid" or "Short Arse". Nowadays you'd use the term Mini Skinhead (at the time there were thousands of us!). My older brother, cousins and all their friends described themselves as Mods as late as 1968 and all came from south London - Old Kent Road, New Cross, Greenwich, Woolwich, Shooter's Hill - and either Millwall, Charlton or West Ham (as I am) supporters. My grandad was a Millwall hooligan in the 1920's but he wasn't a Skinhead! We moved to Essex, of all places, in 1968 aged 10. I still regard myself as Kentish although I have been in bleedin' Essex for over 40 years (what I did to deserve this purgatory I don't know).

I am obsessed with clothes and music and have been since I can remember. I have many memories of the late 60's thru 'til the '80's having been involved in probably every youth cult going since then (including Casual and Boot Boys!). First oxford weave shirt bought from W.Wade Pollards in 1969. They were identical to BS's and cost under a Quid. I remember buying, also in '69, my first Levi jeans and jacket in Lewisham for 2 quid each in their sale! First gig - Thin Lizzy as a 3-piece in 1970....nice!

Thanks, G

Welcome G,

Nice Introduction, Thanks for the story.

Choco G

Reaction score
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome Lasttye! I've enjoyed reading your posts, really accurate and not that different from how things were where I was. As with all area's of London and south east, same style's, subtle differences etc.

chickNcoop

Reaction score
I have many memories of the late 60's thru 'til the '80's having been involved in probably every youth cult going since then (including Casual and Boot Boys!).

Thanks, G

I've been listening to the Boot Power compilations lately and have been wondering who exactly the boot boys were? Were they suedeheads who kept growing their hair longer, evolved, etc?

thanks in advance.

Choco G

Reaction score
I've been listening to the Boot Power compilations lately and have been wondering who exactly the boot boys were? Were they suedeheads who kept growing their hair longer, evolved, etc?

thanks in advance.

Boot Boys were just part of the evolution of Skinhead, some had short hair others grew their hair long(er). As others on here have stated, different parts of the UK had their own styles. Where I was in the south east, by 1972 we were wearing (at various times) Levi jackets, PoW or Olive Green Harringtons, Stacked heel shoes (the ones with the cream coloured soles) and dark green Sta-Prest. DM's were worn nearly all the time, especially for football and fighting. We also started to wear trousers that had pleats down the side of each leg, slightly flared and sometimes they had coloured stitching down both sides of the pleats - mine had orange stitching! I had a mate who was a Man United fan who went to some of their away games (London mainly). He put tartan on his Levi jacket same as a lot of Man U supporters did at that time and within days everyone copied him even though we were nearly all West Ham or Chelsea! Oh and Winter '72 Parka's were in big time! In early '73, some of us started calling ourselves Mods again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads