Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

Boot Boys were just part of the evolution of Skinhead, some had short hair others grew their hair long(er). As others on here have stated, different parts of the UK had their own styles. Where I was in the south east, by 1972 we were wearing (at various times) Levi jackets, PoW or Olive Green Harringtons, Stacked heel shoes (the ones with the cream coloured soles) and dark green Sta-Prest. DM's were worn nearly all the time, especially for football and fighting. We also started to wear trousers that had pleats down the side of each leg, slightly flared and sometimes they had coloured stitching down both sides of the pleats - mine had orange stitching! I had a mate who was a Man United fan who went to some of their away games (London mainly). He put tartan on his Levi jacket same as a lot of Man U supporters did at that time and within days everyone copied him even though we were nearly all West Ham or Chelsea! Oh and Winter '72 Parka's were in big time! In early '73, some of us started calling ourselves Mods again.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello Choco D,welcome to the madhouse!!

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Choco G!!sorry about the error.

4. Choco G

Thanks for the welcome mate...and what a great madhouse it is!

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yes a big welcome, great to have another original to share stories, and validate/dispel myths about the cult!

I think it's really interesting that you say some of you started referring to yourselves back as mods in '73!

Choco, did you have any strong feeling about the mod revival, which was only 4-5 years away from '73...as well as the skinhead revival with the first groups like Cocksparrer, Sham, Skrewdriver etc...or were you completely done with by '76-77?

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

thought you'd be interested in these. new to me, never saw em before yesterday. The Langston boot 8i, Made in UK. Looks more traditional DM than the Drury but same dark oxblood

[​IMG]

7. Choco G

Thanks Get Smart, been enjoying reading your posts too.

Well Mod was used by my family/friends until everyone adopted the media tag of Skinhead. I remember basing a lot of my image on an uncle who was serving with the USAAF. I used to get a lot of his old uniforms and stuff, Zippos etc. I still got a leather flying jacket with fur collar that he had out in Vietnam.

Late '72 some of the older guys got in to scooters (you had to be 17 to legally ride a scooter) and Parka's came back big time. We used to go to West Ham in our Parka's and DM's and happily called ourselves Mods! Around the same time there were crews wearing white boiler suits and white butcher coats, bowler hats and black umbrella's. By early '76 we had friends that called themselves Skinheads and dressed like it was '69 again. I adopted this look once more but still called myself a Mod. We used to follow bands like the Hammersmith Gorilla's and The Jam when they first started playing the London clubs in '76 (Nashville Rooms, Red Cow in Hammersmith etc.). I bought the Skrewdriver album and loved anything Gary Lammin was involved in including Cocksparrer. Other bands we liked were Bethnal and a bit earlier ('72/73) the Faces and Mott the Hoople! I don't know anyone who liked Sham 69 or followed them. After he Punk thing died out and Skinheads surfaced yet again, we (Mods and skinheads) called the new lot Boneheads or just Skins.They were not Skinheads to us. We had some very fierce fighting with this new lot at seaside resorts or around Brick Lane. All through the '70's we listened to early Ska and Reggae and Soul - especially Motown, Philly and SC Beach music. By '79, the so called revival was under way and pretty much everyone I knew in to it had come by way of Skinhead. I had my Lambretta SX200 and spent fortunes as always on clothes and music. Followed early Madness and Dexy's and also The Ruts. Best clubs were the 6T's Allnighter's and Phoebe's for Reggae.

Re: Mod Revival: I remember when Parka's first appeared at West Ham and also when MA1's appeared big time too! One week one or two there then next week...hundred's of the things!!

One thing I want to mention is that everyone seems to be buying these new Levi Sta-Prest. They are absolutely nothing like the one's we wore. Our ones were a shiny Gaberdine material in assorted colours (white very early on then Dark Green for '71 in our area). If Levi's weren't available then the next best thing for us in our area were the Arnold Palmer ones. We could get these ultra cheap from the Army and Navy stores.

Just remembered, we used to follow Aswad too. Brinsley Dan was the Man!! He was in a TV series called Double Deckers and the movie Babylon as well as the Please Sir! movie.

8. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Jason.

Great boots there. Will have a look at them. LOVE the colour.
    NIce to see DM's giving out some variations.

I'm on the lookout for something new/slightly different.

With regards to 'Boots', I only really wear my Mikkel Rude 11i astronaut oxblood, an 8i black pair of 1460 DM's.
    And occasionaly the DM cappers ;) I've bought a couple of shite oxblood brogue boots, had to sell them on. should have just gone for the NPS Stable boot.

What Dm's do you wear these days Jason? if at all.

CHOCCO G - WElcome to the forum, really enjoyed your last few posts. It's great reading about others experiences. You'll be a great addition on here!!

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ wow, that is really interesting stuff there. esp since it's from a perspective of someone who kept on going when skinhead died off, and into the revival years of punk. will have to digest what you've wrote....!

but the first thing that comes to mind is, once the later 70s revival took place, did you stay a skinhead or grow out of it, as you couldnt be bothered with the new breed coming in and adopting the skinhead name.

it's funny because I suppose every generation goes thru that, where they see themselves as "authentic" and newcomers as plastic...lord knows guys in my generation did that as well, by the mid-later 90s we all even went into rockabilly, so as to not be associated with the new "clueless" skinheads coming on the scene. Then like clockwork, a few years after we all got back into being "skins" even if we dont use the label anymore.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Russ, mostly wear the MR astronauts 11i as well, prefer the sleeker shape of the last. Decided to take a punt on those new oxblood DMs, the Langston. really like how they're looking and English made is always a bonus. You well know I have quite a few nice shoes/boots on hand to wear, but truth be told I wear my DM/MR probably more than anything else. The only non-DM shoe I wear quite a bit are my Alden cordovan brogues.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Again great post G, Its interesting what you say about the little Skinheads that you was part of, You are the same age as Robert Elms, So you was still young by the time Punk came along.
    Regarding Mods and parkas in 72 ?, This did not happen in London, us now ex Skinheads was walking around with long hair, wearing Bags, Budgie jackets and platform shoe's, listening to Rock.
    As mentioned before one or two lads had Scooters in the early 70s, but only because they got them off their older Brothers who was original Mods, Original Skinheads had no real interest in Scooters, One lad around our way got hold of his Brothers old scooter rode it around for a couple of days and left it against a tree, where the little kids fcuked around with it... until it was taken away by the Council :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

12. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Good man! I used to have a problem with getting older and still wearing airwair boots. I had a break for a few years, but I came back to them.
    THink I'll keep wearing them for life now. ALong with brogues and loafers of course.
    Let us know how you find the 'Langston' boots, THink I may go for the 'Drury'.

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just to add regarding the little Skinheads, By late 70 we was moving away from Skinheads but as G said their was still loads of little kids 11/12 year olds dressed as skinheads, But to be honest we did not look at them as skinheads ...just kids who was copying their older brothers in a comical way.. who missed the boat, so to speak :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

14. Choco G

Thanks mate, I look forward to joining in some more and finding out the thoughts and experiences of others on here.

I always had a bit more hair than the media idea of a Skinhead and also the later "Boneheads", generally a grade 2 to 4 or a "Perry Como"! Easier during the revival period to blend in with both the Mods and Skinheads. The differences in clothes between the two were so subtle where as the Boneheads were utter scruffbags and to Punky. We didn't care for the glue sniffing either! I stuck within the parameters of the original look throughout the 70's although the hair did get very long at times and the pant leg sometimes resembled ship's sails. Another thing in our area during the Mod revival period, we hung out with the Rockabillies. They were very smart and sartorial and loved their music in the same way as we did.

I've never had a problem with new guys coming in to my scene or whatever. The more the merrier as they say. I think it's great that guys like you are carrying the torch and are so respectful of what's gone before as well as try to move it forward too!

We're all getting older but it's how you wear something that counts. Look at guys llike MoM and Lasttye, still stylish and smart without looking like caricature's. I still wear DM's with jeans and Sta-Prest and feel great every time I go out!

I agree with what you say mate but I had older brother and cousins who made sure I was as smart as them....and I had respect for my elders as I still do. I hated the masses who stuck to the excepted "uniform" that the media drew up. Even at the age of 12 I spent fortunes on clothes, although I had to work 2 jobs and sold my soul at the crossroads too!

I like Robert Elms, probably cos we're the same age and look at the whole scene etc. from a younger point of view and he is a scholar regarding fashion and youth cults (as I am!). I remember Ruperts, Oxford Bags, Budgie jackets etc. Been there, done that too! Did you have "Alaska" bomber jackets in your area? Chocolate Brown material like a MA-1 with yellow knitted collar/cuffs and an embroided map of Alaska on the back showing all the U.S Air Base's! The worst thing around this time were those sodding High-Waisters with turnups!!

Our area's are probably only 40 miles apart but goes to show how different things could be at the time. Keep the stories coming mate, really interesting reading about NW London and your experiences!

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Again good post G,
    Regarding MA-1 Jackets.. My mate Alan from Bermondsey was wearing one in 71, after seeing a couple of lads from Chingford wearing them in Trafalgar Square. I never had one, Got one last year for the first time, a 1964 Vietnam issue.