Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ScorcherGB

ScorcherGB Member

I think you'll find that's a spoof. [​IMG]

Been reading through this thread over the last couple of days & I must say I'm really enjoyin' it ...
    I was also happy to see that a picture I made a few years back got a look in by foolin' someone into thinking it's real (not to worry mate you ain't the only one)
    Here's another I did around the same time (sorry to go off topic)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. ScorcherGB

ScorcherGB Member

Jam lineup ... Early 70's (L-R) Steve Brookes , Rick Buckler & Paul Weller [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

That very point in time (when we lost our original thought in fashion) was pinpointed by our friend Elmsey. It was one of those light bulb moments. I must look it up.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The last mod I saw in a leather coat was in Beckenham in 1968. He had matching penny loafers.

5. Man-of-Mystery

... and the book is still progressing, Roy, if a bit slowly.

I have missed all of the new posts on this thread because for some reason the new site seems to have forgotten to email me whenever there's a new post! :(

I have just had a long message from Gerry Rayner, one of the guys on the famous 'Piccadilly' pic from 'Time' magazine. Plenty of material which I am holding back for the book.

M-o-M

6. Man-of-Mystery

It's pushing 'Wuthering Heights' currently.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Ties up with what I was speaking about earlier-regarding the resurgence of the Scooter.

May I also suggest "Soul Stylists",which covers the late 50s/early 60s Modern Jazz Scene,Brideshead.

8. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Any idea what this is all about. It's going to be announced very soon by Brutus.

Trimfit socks I'm guessing [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(EDIT: I have the answer, it's is an Oxblood shirt with yellow trim. Like a classic DM boot. You are gonna see a hell of a lot of these shirts! )

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Little Yobbo :D

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

saw these on ebay, auction is almost over but i can't help be amazed at what the mythology of cotton/poly blend strides will sell for

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120796724748?ssPageName=STRK:null:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1429.l2648

sure they're deadstock 60s, but fuck me, I'm happy with my repro Japanese Levis staprest I got for about $50 new during winter sales, and this is coming from someone who has spent stupid money on some stupid shit

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I actual do not remember Levi Sta-Prest looking like them.

I was having a conversation about Carnaby Street and about a Pub,which stood on the Site of "The Roaring Twenties"(one of my haunts-back in the 60s).I got to thinking about the bigger Venues I went to,as well.Clubs came and went.But these were the 1,000 to 2,000 plus Places I am talking about.The forerunners of the massive Night Clubs they have now.It is a shame,but almost all of them have been demolished or on the way out! The Purley Orchid was the first to go in 1973,then others such as Streatham Locarno(Cats Whiskers) struggled on-even though I did see once the old Ballroom derelict.That has now gone- even with the Owner bringing it back to it`s former glory."Nobody goes to big Clubs anymore".So what happened the other Week-end,when a poor Girl got trampled to death, by a panicking Mob.Something that would not have happened in the Palais or the Royal.I know,I worked in the Ilford Palais.The Tottenham Royal gone,as well as The Hammersmith Palais.These were part of us growing up!!Getting Suited up was part of the ritual.Guildford Civic Hall now has Antique Fairs.I ask you ???? :)

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

I have just reminded myself what Robert Elms had to say about that major and irreversible shift from 'sharp and cool' to a 'global dance culture' that has no respect for anything unusual, interesting or exclusive. Everything became homogenised, inclusive and accessible like Gap or Starbucks.

He pinned that moment in the winter of 1987 in London at the new club Shoom. He felt well out of place in his £300 hand made shoes and Gaultier charcoal suit. I have no idea whether he is right about the exact moment or place in time but he is right in saying nothing has really happened since. The whole idea of getting dressed up to go to the Palais was to outshine everyone else - if you could. There was nothing inclusive about that!

13. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

Anyone see the Dr. Marten "Drury" yet? Anyone seen them in person? Thoughts?

I like the lower profile toe and sole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I will make a confession here(getting Suited up).It would take longer for me to get ready that it did my Sister,every weekend. This was the big occasion-to meet Girls.Also to "Parade" in front of your Mates(and others)your latest purchases! Vain,yes!!!!!:)

15. Man-of-Mystery

Absolutely! Totally narcissistic! Getting the clothes to hang right, practising exactly right pose to strike so as to look cool and hard and casual at the same time. Unbutton the jacket? Fasten the top two buttons? Left or right hand in your pocket? Plant both feet on the floor or brace back on one whilst tapping the other in time to Harry J? Even the look on your face...