• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not remember seeing any Parkas around the Boleyn,in `71/`72.The Mile End Mob were the first to wear Boiler Suits(aka "Cockwork Orange").Where did your Relatives drink G?Went mainly into the "Edinburgh", "Central" or the "Denmark" later in the 70s,it was the "Queens".

Choco G

Reaction score
Do not remember seeing any Parkas around the Boleyn,in `71/`72.The Mile End Mob were the first to wear Boiler Suits(aka "Cockwork Orange").Where did your Relatives drink G?Went mainly into the "Edinburgh", "Central" or the "Denmark" later in the 70s,it was the "Queens".

Parka's for us were big in the winter of '72 into '73 and died out pretty quick when everyone started wearing Reefer / Pea Coats in the spring of '73. Parka's resurfaced briefly later in '73 as well when the Quadrophenia album came out. There were scooters around Southend at that time and also around south east London too. I remember seeing white boiler suits worn at Roots Hall, Southend early on and on the train to the Boleyn. I was only 13/14 at this point and had our own way of dressing i suppose and things were so different area to area even within a few miles. And obviously I was still too young to get in a pub for a drink! My cousins were over the river in Plumstead, Greenwich or the Old Kent Road, not sure where they hung out around this time as most were married.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
..........wrong thread

Last edited:

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
It's funny hearing skinheads getting into rockabilly.
I've always had a great respect and appreciation for 'trad' rockabilly's.
I think these days, in the UK (anyway), there is a mutual respect between rockabilly's and skinheads. Similar subcultures in many ways.
I always strongly believe that early/vintage rock'n'roll is/was far more rebelious and rabble rousing, thank punk ever was, as much as I love my punk.
I've met rockabillys that have got into reggae and ska, and wear the rockabilly 'uniform' to skin events.
The Psychobilly scene always facinates me, the mixture of trad rock'n'roll and punk. I've had a few psychobilly friends over the years. Great characters, don't understand a lot of it, but I've always admired their love of US 'surf rock'
nod[1].gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think these days, in the UK (anyway), there is a mutual respect between rockabilly's and skinheads. Similar subcultures in many ways.
I always strongly believe that early/vintage rock'n'roll is/was far more rebelious and rabble rousing, thank punk ever was, as much as I love my punk.
I've met rockabillys that have got into reggae and ska, and wear the rockabilly 'uniform' to skin events.
The Psychobilly scene always facinates me, the mixture of trad rock'n'roll and punk. I've had a few psychobilly friends over the years. Great characters, don't understand a lot of it, but I've always admired their love of US 'surf rock'
nod%5B1%5D.gif

I was only ever a Skinhead, Never been interested in any other cult, What i have found here in London at present day doos is a fair few of Rockabillies at Skinhead doos, i think the Rockabilly Girls are way smarter and sexier than present day Skinhead girls who look so butch :D

Last edited:

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
I was only ever a Skinhead, Never been interested in any other cult, What i have found here in London at present day doos is a fair few of Rockabillies at Skinhead doos, i think the Rockabilly Girls are way smarter and sexier than present day Skinhead girls who look so butch
biggrin.gif

Ha ha. Nice one Roy
No dis-respect to any skingirl, BUT I've always liked the rockabilly girls, especialy in the 50's 'pin-up' girl sort of get-up.
You don't tend to see them that often, but when you do, I'm a happy bunny..

p.s. to be fair to the gals. i'ts quite hard to look feminine in a harrington and button down. ;) I really liked the 3 waves of the Amy Whinehouse FRED PERRY collection. A mix of 50's bowling shirts, Hawaiian lined harringtons, japanese inspired cardigans etc.
Bought a fair bit of it in the sales. As a memento to the great Amy (and a little investment opportunity ;)

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
I'd be well pleased to see a lady out, in Amy's FP collection
e.g. -

That's just a quick photo I found on the net. But she has fused some great 50's influences on 60's FP stlyes. She has produced some lovely stuff IMHO..

Last edited:

OHT

Reaction score
It's been a while. How's everyone? This thread just gets better and better( I'll have to backtrack as I didn't get to read all of it). I see that the Book is in the works. I can't wait for that. I don't think I've asked this: When the public would see you Original skinheads walk by, did they show any discomfort around you skinheads? Were there any negative reactions?

Last edited:

OHT

Reaction score
Choco G - It was great to read all your posts. Very interesting & informative. Nice avatar pic btw(I love that movie :happy:)

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been a while. How's everyone? This thread just gets better and better( I'll have to backtrack as I didn't get to read all of it). I see that the Book is in the works. I can't wait for that. I don't think I've asked this: When the public would see you Original skinheads walk by, did they show any discomfort around you skinheads? Were there any negative reactions?

Original Skinheads had a fearsome reputation back then, the whole look was aggression, Their was not a day go by without stories in the press about skinhead violence, The police would not leave us alone ...and would nick you for fcuk all.

Got to say i never noticed the general public showing any fear towards us, for all our reputation for violence and mayhem we still had respect for our elders, The violence was directed at other skinheads mostly.

in saying that their was the P*ki and Queer bashing, even Squaddie bashing, Disgusting but it did happen, not on the large scale that the then Newspapers wanted you to believe though.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other thing thats worth mentioning, Employment! ... Skinheads worked, I did not know one who did not have a job, We knew if you did not work you had fcuk all and would not be able to buy the expensive cloths.
If skinhead got nicked over the weekend, often your employer would turn up to court and plead that his lad is a hard worker never late etc :D In a way we did live a double life, Our employer and say the people who lived on our estates new us as good lads, Whats worth repeating again, nearly every working class kid was a skinhead, The general public just looked at us as teenagers, Skinhead was a fashion not a cult that it became in the 80s.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say this though - in memory of the late Jimmy Saville. I got roped in to one of his Radio1 discussion forums as the token skinhead. The subject was young people and travel. I can remember telling him (and the listeners) that I used to hitch-hike everywhere and people would pick me up because I had short hair; but after all the media horror stories about skinheads no one would pick me up at all. Ironic or what?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

i think the Rockabilly Girls are way smarter and sexier than present day Skinhead girls who look so butch :D

I think this is probably more of a US thing, tho I have know of quite a few well-known guys/gals from the UK skinhead scene that became 100% rockabilly by the 90s and still are.

Like mentioned, getting into rockabilly was natural since the music was also raw and stripped down, both adhered to strong sartorial rules so it's a natural progression from one to the other. While I was into rockabilly, met tons of ex-skins at gigs, and we'd usually end up talking about skinhead related stuff the rest of night. But the 90s skinhead scene in states got filled with so much drama, and so many newcomers talking out of their ass it was just better to move on from it. and Roy brings up a really important point....getting into rockabilly and learning to jive dance was all about meeting hot rockabilly girls, who I agree look much cuter than the typical skinhead girl (with very very rare exception). You get to the point where a drama-free night dancing with a hot dolled-up rockabilly girl is much more fun than a gig with a bunch of sweaty shirtless guys crashing into each other at an oi/punk gig. Besides if it werent for the rockabilly scene I wouldnt have met my missus, and many of my closest friends today are those I met in the rockin' scene.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
You get to the point where a drama-free night dancing with a hot dolled-up rockabilly girl is much more fun than a gig with a bunch of sweaty shirtless guys crashing into each other at an oi/punk gig.

Superb Jason! I could do with a night out like that.

I was mooching about on the net earlier and found this Levi's sta-prest advert from 1968.
Interesting to see what a US sta-prest 'look' would be like, during this important year.
It looks like a Uk early 70's look.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads