• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

Spurious

Reaction score
Here are scanned pictures of my recent swatch order (not sure if they are of any help to people):

MacGuffen

Reaction score
@Luxire: What's the difference between the Monti of Italy - White Poplin 2/140 at $79.99 and the one at $89.99?
If I'm thinking about the same fabrics as you, it's just a typo. If you look at the description it will say 2/120 on the cheaper, and 2/140 on the more expensive.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The literary Bond always wore white silk shirts and I have to admit I'm a bit curious about why Flemming made that choice for the character.

I don't know if this is the reason Fleming made that choice, but if you're going to get shot (either bullet or arrow) and need to do some field medic-ish treatment, it's better to be wearing silk than cotton or linen. Silk tears more cleanly than linen or cotton (less fragmentation/debris in the wound), making for easier wound cleaning and therefore lower risk of infection. In the 18th/19th centuries, officers who could afford it preferred to wear silk shirts for precisely this reason. It's also a bit more resistant to tearing, which doesn't matter with modern firearms, but might matter marginally with lower velocity historical weapons. Off topic, some historical - and very expensive - eastern armour was made from multiple laminated layers of silk because of that very resistance to tearing.

Last edited:

GradSchooler

Reaction score

I don't know if this is the reason Fleming made that choice, but if you're going to get shot (either bullet or arrow) and need to do some field medic-ish treatment, it's better to be wearing silk than cotton or linen. Silk tears more cleanly than linen or cotton (less fragmentation/debris in the wound), making for easier wound cleaning and therefore lower risk of infection. In the 18th/19th centuries, officers who could afford it preferred to wear silk shirts for precisely this reason. It's also a bit more resistant to tearing, which doesn't matter with modern firearms, but might matter marginally with lower velocity historical weapons. Off topic, some historical - and very expensive - eastern armour was made from multiple laminated layers of silk because of that very resistance to tearing.

Thanks Holdfast! That's quite fascinating. I'd heard of silk armour before, but had no idea that military officers had worn it for it's firearms related qualities. Can't say I'm planning on getting shot with a musket any time soon, but that certainly does lend some evidence as to why Flemming may have chosen silk for Bond.

Rincon

Reaction score
What is the tangible difference between a $60 dollar fabric and a $120 fabric? I've bought some of the $60 fabrics and they appear to be of good quality. Granted, I've never bought an expensive shirt so I don't really have anything to compare it to. When compared against a fabric >$100, what can you expect to be different?
Generally, higher thread count so softer.

At the end of day it all goes back to the general rule of luxury products. You pay 100% more for a (maybe) 20% improvement.

table21

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have square shoulders and when I order shirts from luxire, I end up with a bump in the back that carries over the shoulder line. It makes the shirt look a sloppy when wearing it without a jacket. Does anyone know a fix for this problem?

Just a note, this shirt here is a little tight in the sleeve hole, but on the last one I ordered I had that fixed, however I still have that bump in the back.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I have square shoulders and when I order shirts from luxire, I end up with a bump in the back that carries over the shoulder line. It makes the shirt look a sloppy when wearing it without a jacket. Does anyone know a fix for this problem? Just a note, this shirt here is a little tight in the sleeve hole, but on the last one I ordered I had that fixed, however I still have that bump in the back.
Are you talking about the crease on top of your shoulder? Amongst other things, this can be caused by a yoke measurement that's too small. Same effect with jackets. Not sure if that's your case though can't tell.

table21

Reaction score
yes the crease on top of my shoulders. I have tried changing the yolk size 1" (to were it looks way too big) and back, however this does not eliminate this problem.

CosmeDaniel

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Luxire's accepted tolerance is for custom measurements?

I received a pair of trousers and some of the areas are 0.25 inches to a full inch off (if not slightly more) what was requested.

For reference, I believe Modern Tailor had a .50 inch tolerance.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Luxire's accepted tolerance is for custom measurements?

I received a pair of trousers and some of the areas are 0.25 inches to a full inch off (if not slightly more) what was requested.

For reference, I believe Modern Tailor had a .50 inch tolerance.

Our internal tolerance is 0.00

Measuring garments is more of an art than a science. My 32.00 can easily be yours 32.50 and we both will be right.

Hence, to the customer, we say that the tolerance is 0.25" on all measurements.

If anything is off by more than that, then, it is probably being measured incorrectly. If not, it has probably shrunk, inspite of being pre-washed, which is certainly possible.

If either of these are not true, then, we have made an error in providing the specs to the tailors. In that case, the alteration / remake is on us.

The cost of sending the garment back is always on you, whether it is our mistake or yours.

Once the garment is received, we do the measurements again. If there is an error, we will make the changes and ship it back at our cost.

If the garment was made as ordered, we may charge you for the alteration and will charge you for shipping.

If there are any other changes apart from the error, we will charge you for the shipping.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I got my first shirt today. Somehow I missed the FedEx delivery while I was home, so my loving wife drove to FedEx and picked it up so I didn't have to wait until tomorrow.

The shirt fit is pretty good, but the armholes are a bit small (and perhaps the chest), and the bicep is a bit big. I got the every day pale blue end on end.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

CosmeDaniel

Reaction score
Our internal tolerance is 0.00

Measuring garments is more of an art than a science. My 32.00 can easily be yours 32.50 and we both will be right.

Hence, to the customer, we say that the tolerance is 0.25" on all measurements.

If anything is off by more than that, then, it is probably being measured incorrectly. If not, it has probably shrunk, inspite of being pre-washed, which is certainly possible.

If either of these are not true, then, we have made an error in providing the specs to the tailors. In that case, the alteration / remake is on us.

The cost of sending the garment back is always on you, whether it is our mistake or yours.

Once the garment is received, we do the measurements again. If there is an error, we will make the changes and ship it back at our cost.

If the garment was made as ordered, we may charge you for the alteration and will charge you for shipping.

If there are any other changes apart from the error, we will charge you for the shipping.

Thanks for the information!

I had ordered my first pair of trousers several weeks ago and decided to increase two key measurements by 0.25" for my second pair. The fit between the first and second pair is like night and day. My wife calls the second pair the "casual/relaxed" look as opposed my usual "tailored/tapered" look.

I'll check, double check, and then re-check my measurements to see where I may have erred. Thanks again for the feedback though!

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
So I'm going to order some blue shirts today that I can wear spring/summer. i've a couple of broadcloths which are awesome, but too thick for what i need right now. any recs on something that will be worn with suits? i'd like to do one solid and one stripe in something a little thinner/more breathable than what i have now, but nothing TOO thin.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the information! 

I had ordered my first pair of trousers several weeks ago and decided to increase two key measurements by 0.25" for my second pair. The fit between the first and second pair is like night and day. My wife calls the second pair the "casual/relaxed" look as opposed my usual "tailored/tapered" look. 

I'll check, double check, and then re-check my measurements to see where I may have erred. Thanks again for the feedback though!

Make sure you measure how luxire measures certain areas (sometimes companies measure the rise and other areas differently)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads