1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for feedback on fit for an illustration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stephanduq, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

Hey guys,
    i'm working on an app that creates combinations of patterns and colors between suit/tie/shirt that according to design principles always work (how humans interpret the final design is always a bit hard to predict right). I finished all the technical stuff, and now I'm painting the final assets I intend to use. Since it is very easy for me to create paint-vision wich causes me to loose track of the general proportions over time, I was wondering if any of you could give me a fit check. A pair of fresh eyes always tends to help getting things right :)
    [​IMG]

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lapels look skinny and wimpy. Arms are like Popeye arms.

3. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

Thanks!

Do you have a suggestion for a good average size of the lapels?

Ha, the arms! My usual work is drawing barbarians, space marines and all that kind of stuff. So I suppose that kinda seeped into this.

I expected much worse! Or that might still come

4. unbelragazzo

Lapels should reach a little less than half of the distance to the shoulder. Also, you want the points of the shirt collar to rest underneath the jacket lapel.

1 person likes this.
  5. unbelragazzo

Left hip pocket is also low.

1 person likes this.
  6. unbelragazzo

1 person likes this.
  7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

The lapels look a bit too thin (about 50% larger), and the arms and neck are GROSSLY over-sized compared to the torso.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Lapels hideously thin, sleeves too short in relation to arms and they look like those of a gorilla, coat looks far too long and pockets too low as a result. Elegant it is not.

Why not give up, not your forte and of minimal sale value?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

As a fellow illustrator/graphic designer, i will say to take the advice in this forum, while making sure you don't alienate your target demo for this app. Is that an app for i-gents, or for contemporary/fashionable young men?

That said, the illustration looks good. From my interest in sartorial things, i have incorporated some of that into my own illustrations. Specifically, that while wrinkling and compound shapes add character to illustrations, a good looking suit is best drawing with great flow and drape. Good luck with your app... :slayer:

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

OP needs to get Foof'd

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

12. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

unbelragazzo: Thank you for your reply! And the references as well, they are helping a lot.

GBR: what kind of ridiculous suggestion is that? I deliver hundreds of different designs a year, and with a lot of designs I do not know all the in-outs of the topic, that is when art-directors step in and they suggest changes. For this project I lack a knowledgable art-director, so I ask a community to guide the design to completion. I really do not see the need for such a demeaning comment.

JubeiSpiegel: Thanks!

jrd617: I hope that is a somewhat positive thing?

Man of Lint: I'm not getting it :p
    [​IMG]

13. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

Forgot to add some text to the image. I have been taking the advice, and doing some quick changes, my apologies for the sketchy feeling of it. But I want to be sure it is right before I start finishing it. I'm a bit in dubio about the length. Using drawing principles I should assume that the character is 8-9 heads tall in comparison to the normal human length of 7 heads. Wich mean that the torso is about 1/2 to 1 head longer then on a real person. The lack of an actual head is making it feel elongated and a bit silly though. So I took the image and made it work for 7 heads, but it kinda feels too small.

Any suggestions are more then welcome

14. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

Since it is taking ages for the comments to be approved, I already fixed alot of the mistakes. And I think I'm almost there, how does this feel?

[​IMG]

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Looks pretty clean. The details are arguably preferences at this point, but they will be argued non the less :)

How many suit style templates are you planning to make? Also, how will the color matching be determined?

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It was the ceiling in your photo and the overall feel. It reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That, and having too much tme on my hands. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

JubeiSpiegel: Yeah, I don't think the SF community is the target market, because they know more about the details then the average man or woman. So they have a higher demand as well. I initially set out to create the app because I used to dislike tie shopping, and a lot of my friends still do. There are too many options, and when you get to a store it is easy to get lost. For me shopping is getting in and out of the store in recordtimes, so I wanted an app that could show me design ideas before I get to the shop.

The colorpicking is based on the typical color-harmonies. You start with a black suit, white shirt, black tie combination. You can select one of these layers with a swipe gesture, and then adjust its colors. When you pick a color the app calculates a set of colors that should work according to the colorwheel, when you select a second color out of these swatches you have set your color palette. Black and white currently work as a default color and reset the palette, grey will have the same effect after I have added it.

Beside colors I have made around 15 base patterns that you can overlay on the items such as plaid, houndstooth, herringbone, tartans and stripes in all directions. By changing the variables in the stripes, plaid and patterns, it should be possible to have hundreds of slightly different patterns.

If you have an iphone, I can invite you for the alpha test when I get to it! Somewhere in the next few weeks I recon.

Man of Lint: I see! Funny, my first thought was 2001, but I just didn't connect it to the ceiling. I love the production design in that movie, still unparralelled. Thanks for reminding me of it :D

1 person likes this.
  18. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

No.

The idea doesn't seem to take into account situational appropriateness nor the effect of patterns on physical features. Therefore, it's just another tool/guide that hardly helps its users choose wisely.

19. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

The tool is not meant to be an advisor in a box, and it shouldn't be. The tool is meant to match colors and patterns, generate possibilities, inspire ideas and explore options in a fun and quick manner. And through it learn about pattern composition and color combinations.

Knowing how a colorwheel works does not make someone a great designer. But designers or clients that understand colorwheels do end up with harmonious (and thus higher quality) concepts quicker.

Physical features (body shape and skintone) are on the road map btw. But teaching concepts behind pattern and color matching between 3 items is my first priority to get right.

20. Stephanduq

Stephanduq Member

Actually thinking about it a little bit. It would be fairly easy to add an on-tap info screen. That basically tells you what the colors would work for, in what season, or how the patterns act on different bodies. And I can always visualize it later. Thanks for your critical thoughts!

edit: there is an un-approved post before this one :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013