• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just bought a pair of these penny loafers and found it strange that the top edge of the strap (AKA saddle, penny keeper, etc.) isn't stitched to the vamp. The strap's glued to the vamp, and when I press down on the tongue the two pieces become unglued and I can see all the adhesive, lining, etc. between the two pieces coming apart. Over time, I expect these components to start oozing out from under the strap onto the vamp, dirt being trapped under the strap mixed with the glue, etc. None of my other penny loafers are glued down like this (so I can, e.g., actually stick a penny in the hole). As far as I can tell, this is an intentional result of the manufacturing, and it seems inelegant.

Has this bothered any other owners of these loafers or am I being unreasonable?

I ordered my first pair of Carminas today! They were having a custom-special where you wouldn't get up-charged for the customization. I pretty much ordered my dream loafer. I think.

I wanted a particular burgundy and the color that came closest to that was glazed leather & burgundy rois. Short of going with cordovan which I just didn't want to go that route. The salesperson told me that the glazed leather has a coating of polyurethane. Basically, making the shoe more resistant to the elements. Which sounds good. But when I asked him about shining and such, he said the usual creams and such would work but wouldn't penetrate as much. Which looks to be false and from my research after the order, may damage the finish of the shoe. From my research, wiping the shoe with a slightly damp towel will be sufficient. And using a polishing cloth to keep the shine as bright as possible.

I'm a little concerned about the longevity of the leather and keeping it looking as good as possible. From my research, it seems like once you get a bad enough scuff, it's there to stay. I know that with any leather, a bad enough scuff will remain. But it seems like it might be worse with glazed leather.

So all this is research. Would like to hear some real-world experience.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Sitting this custom weekend out as I work through my prior goodies
IMG20230414095728.jpg

IMG20230414095624.jpg

bonbnoz

Reaction score
Asked for some availability of leathers. Large stock of kudu, low stock of hippo 9-12 months wait, and no moose or elk. They still have black hatchgrain cordovan if people missed out.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
Asked for some availability of leathers. Large stock of kudu, low stock of hippo 9-12 months wait, and no moose or elk. They still have black hatchgrain cordovan if people missed out.

How convenient there's pictures of the hippo leather right above 😂

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be exclusive for Styleforum, yet now it's available...

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of black hatch grain shell boots?

I havent been able to find any

They have never done black hatch shell before.

They did a MTO for Styleforum a few weeks back using it, but nobody has their pairs yet.

ABM

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue and I called them and they told me to use the customiser tool using model 80578 then put in comments box you want it made to model 80440 on Pina last. I ordered a pair in bourbon cordovan with a bourbon hatch grain strap. They should arrive soon!!

What exactly is the difference between these two Pina last models? Is it the apron-stiching? Lower heel on the latter? Hard to tell from photos! But I do think the 80440 somehow seems more balanced, without quite being able to tell why.

How do you size on the Pina? I tried my usual UK11 in the Genova a while back but found it a bit tight at the toes. I'm drawn towards a pair of penny loafers in something soft and flexible like Vitello with kid lining the 80440 looks just right.

hollandn

Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between these two Pina last models? Is it the apron-stiching? Lower heel on the latter? Hard to tell from photos! But I do think the 80440 somehow seems more balanced, without quite being able to tell why.

How do you size on the Pina? I tried my usual UK11 in the Genova a while back but found it a bit tight at the toes. I'm drawn towards a pair of penny loafers in something soft and flexible like Vitello with kid lining the 80440 looks just right.
80440 is apron stitching yes as opposed to 80578 which is moccasin stitched. My 80578 seem to fit true to size and are on Genova last and similar fit to Uetam with a bit more toe room. Haven't received my Pina last 80440 yet but sized the same as other Carmina shoes that I always wear a UK12. When I receive the 80440 on Pina I will report.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Gonna have to sit this one out due to some life expenses. Fortunately, they're good life expenses. But it did give me a chance to dial in what I'd order during the fall MTO weekend if life permits.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad