• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTMD

Reaction score
Beautiful Carmina rotation Sir!

And yes, these are and unusual Cognac shade indeed!

As you have noticed, they are more akin to the reddish hues than brown and orange of the more traditional cognac for which Carmina is best known.

However, there’s a bit of a backstory to these. I procured them from the delightful Hector who runs the Barcelona shop.

Sadly, Carmina no longer allows for direct purchase for US clients from their shops since the advent of the NYC shop…

These are identical to the “color 4” shade and seem to be an anomaly.

Needless to say…this pair is an all time favorite and I’m elated to have them…

Cheers!

Haha..should have expected something extraordinary from you.. and sure enough..special carmina shell as well. 😅

Yes, these international contacts the companies get into are a pain for the clients. I have to deal with the same issues for Aldens.

Unfortunately the 3 calf oxfords don't see much use. Not long after I bought them I came upon a great deal on a bunch of EGs and G&Gs which became my primary "business" rotation while the Carmina's became back ups in case of nasty weather. I haven't had the heart to sell them off but they've been languishing in the corner of my closet most of the past decade. The shells have been put to good use though..and the double monks one of my favorites (even if they don't have a cool backstory. Lol).

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Mallorca and tried on some loafers in the Simpson last. I own a few pairs of oxfords in the Simpson/rain lasts.

Debating between the penny loafers in chocolate suede, but can’t decide between lined or unlined.

The lined is obviously structured but the toe seems a little too pointy/structured.

Hard to tell how it’ll look with proper trousers which I don’t have with me.

Any opinions either way?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forest Cuero.

20240626_134936.jpg
20240626_134945.jpg

gmalicki

Reaction score
Hippo.

I see you're a fan of the Madison location. Thought that was a nice store but the 45th street location had a very different selection of lasts. When I visited Madison had mostly the dressier lasts and makeups. 45th had more boots, casual options, and the "friendlier" lasts for my feet- plus, Shazid over there seems to have mastered the art of customer service. It's good to hear their sales associates at the stores are consistently helpful.
I ordered some Jodhpur boots in hippo in the October 2023 custom sale, still waiting 😢.

I didn't receive the same email as you but hopefully it doesn't apply. Last I heard my pair was made and failed to pass customs - supposedly to attempt shipping again at the end of June. No news yet, but fingers crossed that they go out soon.

My other custom items from Carmina have been spot on and very quick so not too bothered, but excited to see how they turn out.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I ordered some Jodhpur boots in hippo in the October 2023 custom sale, still waiting 😢.

I didn't receive the same email as you but hopefully it doesn't apply. Last I heard my pair was made and failed to pass customs - supposedly to attempt shipping again at the end of June. No news yet, but fingers crossed that they go out soon.

My other custom items from Carmina have been spot on and very quick so not too bothered, but excited to see how they turn out.
Ouch. Did you order through a store? I'm having mine shipped to the store first (so they can they can check for QC issues, and hopefully customs is easier to sort shipping to them than to me).

gmalicki

Reaction score
Ouch. Did you order through a store? I'm having mine shipped to the store first (so they can they can check for QC issues, and hopefully customs is easier to sort shipping to them than to me).
Just a plain ole online order for me - I bet ordering through the store could simplify though

KarlHungus

Reaction score
At one point I recall seeing hippo jodphurs in the seconds / clearance sale section, so perhaps the delay is also partly due to an issue during production.

Edit: replied to LawBeard but meant to reply to @gmalicki

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They only ship exotics to the stores first, then the stores forward them out. It's easier on the CITES paperwork (or rather it's supposed to be) to be shipping it "to themselves" in the other country. I'd wager it probably saves a boatload on customs duties/taxes doing it that way too.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
This morning I regrettably ended up canceling my order. The customer service I've received has been absolutely stellar, including this. I was informed a while back that they didn't have the leather on hand and would be working to source it. Today I was informed that they've been trying but haven't been able to come up with anything. They said there was a chance it could be procured in September but there were no guarantees. I was given a few possible options on how to proceed but ultimately chose to cancel and potentially reorder if it becomes available again in the future.

Bummed, but appreciative that they kept me in the loop and gave me honest answers. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get that makeup to happen.

Also, take this with a grain of salt as it's completely unofficial, but it sounds like they're running low or out of a bunch of exotics.

gmalicki

Reaction score
At one point I recall seeing hippo jodphurs in the seconds / clearance sale section, so perhaps the delay is also partly due to an issue during production.

Edit: replied to LawBeard but meant to reply to @gmalicki
Oh very interesting, if so I'm surprised they didn't reach out. Good chance I would have taken em anyway if the defect/misconfig wasn't crazy bad.

Anyway, whoever may have picked them up clearly has great taste and may or may not be graced by my name inside their boots.

GenericUser

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of boots in Oscar last and I'm absolutely loving them. I'm now considering getting a pair of Soller boots as well, but I'm not sure how they will fit compared to the Oscars.

I'm hoping that some of you on the forum own both Oscar and Soller boots and can provide some insights into how they fit. I'm particularly interested in how the width and length of the two models compare.

For reference, I found the Oscar boots to fit true to size in my usual size. If I find the Oscars to fit well, should I order the Soller boots in the same size or would it be better to size down half a size?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Andmoreagain

Reaction score
Can folks provide some insight on the fit of the forest last vs. uetam? I’ve looked at the last comparison on their site, but understand it may not always tell the full story. I have some forest NSTs that fit like a dream but looking at a pair of loafers now.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of boots in Oscar last and I'm absolutely loving them. I'm now considering getting a pair of Soller boots as well, but I'm not sure how they will fit compared to the Oscars.

I'm hoping that some of you on the forum own both Oscar and Soller boots and can provide some insights into how they fit. I'm particularly interested in how the width and length of the two models compare.

For reference, I found the Oscar boots to fit true to size in my usual size. If I find the Oscars to fit well, should I order the Soller boots in the same size or would it be better to size down half a size?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Take the same size in Soller as Oscar. Instep in Soller is slightly higher. Soller width is also slightly wider. Soller toe is more elongated but is aesthetic rather than something to cause a sizing change (heel to ball is the same in my experience).

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Take the same size in Soller as Oscar. Instep in Soller is slightly higher. Soller width is also slightly wider. Soller toe is more elongated but is aesthetic rather than something to cause a sizing change (heel to ball is the same in my experience).
You and I are a bit different there. I do TTS in Soller but a half size up in Oscar.

KarlHungus

Reaction score

You and I are a bit different there. I do TTS in Soller but a half size up in Oscar.

My experience is closer to the first -- I take the same size in both. But I agree Soller instep is higher which makes it lie on the larger end of "true to size" where I see Oscar more squarely in the middle OF TTS

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacyshaw