• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carmaggedon (in Los Angeles)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
6,083
Reaction score
1,038
Originally Posted by mordecai
That actually sounds kind of great. Orange line to red line perhaps?

It turns out this may actually be really good. There's an orange line stop in Woodland Hills near a hotel, so there should be plenty of parking, and the red line stops very near the Music Center. All in all, it's about a 90-minute ride, and it's $3 for a one-way ticket. Even if there weren't Carmageddon, I'm still tempted to try this just for the heck of it.

--Andre
 

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by A Y
I need to be at the Music Center at 2 on Sunday. I'll have to see what Saturday traffic (traditionally much worse than Sunday) is like to plan my route. Usually, it's 101 all the way down, but an alternate route may be 101->118->210->110. All to see a comedic ballet set on a Soviet collectivist farm.
facepalm.gif


--Andre


FYI, the 210 and 110 don't connect. You would take the 210 east to the 2 south. When the 2 dead ends into Glendale Blvd, you would take Glendale south to Temple, then take Temple over to the Music Center.

The 210 will probably be fine through the weekend and the 2 will definitely be fine. It's the 118->210 segment that might kill you.
 

mordecai

Immoderator
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
11,274
Reaction score
780
Originally Posted by A Y
It turns out this may actually be really good. There's an orange line stop in Woodland Hills near a hotel, so there should be plenty of parking, and the red line stops very near the Music Center. All in all, it's about a 90-minute ride, and it's $3 for a one-way ticket. Even if there weren't Carmageddon, I'm still tempted to try this just for the heck of it.

--Andre


Orange line is a busway, so it is open air and actually scenic at points. The system may be crowded that weekend but if you're starting at the beginning of the line in woodland hills you can probably just grab a seat and be comfortable.
 

A Y

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
6,083
Reaction score
1,038
Thanks. I figured on the 2, or maybe even going through Pasadena to get to the 110. BTW, I just found out the Metro rail lines are free for Carmegeddon weekend. --Andre edit: oops, original posting was for retro. A friend who lives near Calabasas took orange->red->silver to attend his sister-in-law's graduation at USC. He highly recommended it.
 

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
4,067
Reaction score
28
I'm going to Orange County Friday... hope the 605-->405 won't be too killer?

Originally Posted by retronotmetro
FYI, the 210 and 110 don't connect. You would take the 210 east to the 2 south. When the 2 dead ends into Glendale Blvd, you would take Glendale south to Temple, then take Temple over to the Music Center.

The 210 will probably be fine through the weekend and the 2 will definitely be fine. It's the 118->210 segment that might kill you.


No, but the 210 exits VERY close to 110. Like a 2 block drive close.
 

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
1,963
Reaction score
21
I'm kind of hoping they don't finish by Monday and we get to see all the fun major carmaggedon that really happens.
 

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
No, but the 210 exits VERY close to 110. Like a 2 block drive close.

I think it's about 3/4 of a mile, but it can be a surprisingly crappy 3/4 mile even at what you'd think to be off times. I think they just finished the inexplicably elaborate median project on Fair Oaks that was really screwing things up. Budget crisis, ******.

My real point was that I can't imagine going past the 2 to voluntarily use the 110 into downtown.
 

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
997
ho-hum. been through these before. the 1984 olympics were supposed to be the worst traffic known to man. ended up you could just fly down the freeways. same thing after the sfv earthquake, when the bridge was down.
i do second the idea of taking metro, though. it's actually a pretty great way to travel (as compared to freeways). i take the blue line/red line into downtown almost every day.
 

willpower

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
54
Originally Posted by mordecai
I'm going to see the Monkees with my mother at the Greek. I could probably get there by walking if I was feeling intrepid, but she has to make it from the SF Valley somehow.

Take the Glendale freeway.
 

Manton

RINO
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
2,879
Originally Posted by foodguy
ho-hum. been through these before. the 1984 olympics were supposed to be the worst traffic known to man. ended up you could just fly down the freeways. same thing after the sfv earthquake, when the bridge was down.
i do second the idea of taking metro, though. it's actually a pretty great way to travel (as compared to freeways). i take the blue line/red line into downtown almost every day.


I remember 84 too but that's because everyone was terrified of using the roads. Maybe that will happen this time. maybe not.
 

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by willpower
Take the Glendale freeway.

There's no easy way to the Greek from the 2 without going south to the 5 and then taking it back north. I have my doubts about the freeways really going bad, but the 101 and the 5 are the two I will avoid since they are the only freeways to get you back and forth over the hill.

If the freeways do go to total meltdown, it might be more direct to take San Fernando Road down through Glendale to Los Feliz Blvd. Or get on Zoo Drive over by Forest Lawn and Traveltown, and use that to get to Crystal Springs Drive for the wrap around the hill.
 

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Manton
I remember 84 too but that's because everyone was terrified of using the roads. Maybe that will happen this time. maybe not.

Part of me wants to believe that this will be exactly like '84. However, you can never underestimate the stupidity of Angelenos in their cars. Si vis pacem, para bellum.
 

Manton

RINO
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
2,879
my father just called to tell me how terrified he and everyone he knows is of this. good times.
 

willpower

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
54
I remember reading about a day in the mid 1980s where there were almost simultaneous accidents at the 405 and 10 and at the 405 and the 101 onramps. The resulting gridlock was so bad that it took 4 hours to get home from what was normally a 45 minute drive. Cars were running out of gas through the Sepulveda pass, exacerbating the gridlock. Good times indeed.

I hope they take pics of a completely empty 405. Totally Omega Man.
 

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 36 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads
506,592
Messages
10,590,852
Members
224,285
Latest member
vyzlaw
Top